The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2016, 12:13 PM

Default om28

hi; just got my om28 martin brand new. does anyone have problem with the high E string slipping off the fret board ,up the neck a little? Martin says it is speced correctly.my other guitars don't do this. have 12's on it now.action is correct. i guess i just have to get used to it.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:01 PM

No. Don't get used to it. Return it. Strings should not slip off fretboards. If they do something is wrong. Send it back.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:13 PM

This happened to me while I was playing one in the store. I thought it happened because I am accustomed to the Larrivee fret board which I believe is flatter or wider. I liked the guitar a lot so I will play it some more before I decide whether or not to bring it home. I was landing a d chord on an unfamiliar fret board and my finger took the string over the edge, so could be just a sloppy landing on my part.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood

Last edited by frazervalley; 06-04-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
hi; just got my om28 martin brand new. does anyone have problem with the high E string slipping off the fret board ,up the neck a little? Martin says it is speced correctly.my other guitars don't do this. have 12's on it now.action is correct. i guess i just have to get used to it.
When you say Martin says it is spec'd correctly and that the action is correct, does that mean you already took it to a certified Martin tech? Out of 5 Martin OMs, I've never had an E string slipping off the fretboard, up the neck or otherwise (unless the guitar had been drinking or just not paying attention ).
Old 06-04-2016, 04:29 PM

Eyesore

I'm too lazy to check for threads on this right now, but I seem to remember that Martin recently changed the string spacing at the bridge in order to prevent what you are experiencing from happening. Something to do with the performing artist taper on the new models and string spacing.

Is your Martin brand new as in just made, or brand new as in has been in the store for a bit but still new? The changeover began with their new models this spring I believe.

And I could be completely pulling this out of the air. :-) it's been a long week!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2016, 04:30 PM

Default om28

I'm not crazy! Here is Spoon Philips word on it:

http://onemanz.com/guitar/martins-2-...ormance-taper/

According to the Martin site, the specs still list 2 3/16 saddle spacing, which has been changed the new models but evidently not on the OM-28, so it's entirely possible that what you're experiencing is exactly what their new design is supposed to correct. But the OM-28 may not have experienced the change yet, leading to your issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2016, 04:43 PM

I got a new OM28 early last year and the high E (#1) string on mine was closer to the fret edge than I was used to. I had some trouble with sliding it off for a bit until I got used to the neck.

Dave
Old 06-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I had the same thing when I bought mine about ten years ago. Once I got used to it, it never happened again. I have multiple guitars too, don't ask me how my hand makes the adjustments, its subconscious.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-04-2016, 08:12 PM

this guitar is less than 6 months old. why would martin let guitars leave the factory like this ? i took it to them and the repair guy said that they are all like this.i guess it is a radius neck .my larrivee is flat too. i'll just keep playing the larrivee at my gigs until i can get someone else to look at it.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I have two guitars with this taper- no issues. But we all play differently....

It would be an adjustment from the Larrivee neck and fretboard for sure though.

The OM28 sure is a sweet guitar- Hope it works out for you :/

madhat.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:37 PM

I had the same problem with my om28v. The luthier I go to with all of guitars found the nut was cut incorrectly. He put in a new nut for me and the problem was gone. The original nut was only slightly off, but it was enough to give me occasional trouble. I bought the guitar used so I didn't raise it with Martin. My guitar has remarkable tone and the fix was pretty inexpensive. We'll worth it to me.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-05-2016, 04:56 AM

i'd gladly pay to have it perfect; but why won't Martin take of it ? they say it is correct .not to you guys; not to me! i hope someone from Martin reads this thread.i paid an awful lot of money for this beatiful guitar!
Old 06-05-2016, 11:20 AM

I ran into this problem once. The termination of the fret ends was off, resulting in easily pulling e off the fretboard. Replacing and dressing the frets fixed the problem.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:25 AM

I have that problem once in a while, but it is because I usually use medium strings and the extra fretting strength can easily pull a light string off of the neck accidentally (if they are Slinky's I really have to make an adjustment). I just have to remember what strings I am using and adjust my playing style.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I just bought a new OM-28 as well. The High E string is a bit slippery but when it does come off the fretboard, I attribute it to user error. If I'm in proper position, I do not have a problem. Hope that helps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion