The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2015, 03:38 PM

Default I Got a Shubb Fine Tune Capo

I've never used or even seen an Elliott capo and have been really thinking about getting one for a while now. I just haven't been able to justify the price. So when I saw Shubb's new fine tune, I jumped on it. It's still not cheap - $75, but that's a little easier to swallow than Elliott prices.

I almost didn't want to like it, so I could learn that I'm fine with my $20 capos. But I do like it. It looks and feels very sleek and seems to be built very well. Functionally, it works a lot like a Paige. I don't have to get it nearly as tight, though, for it to hold down all the strings with no buzz. It also doesn't seem to affect tone at all, which is awesome. I always thought regular Shubbs and Paiges sort of muffled the tone just a little - not enough to make them suck, it's just the way it goes. This Fine Tune doesn't at all.

I wish I could compare it to an Elliott, but like I said, I've never even seen one in person. I will say that this Fine Tune capo just makes me more interested in the Elliotts. If the Fine Tune is this nice, I wonder how much better an Elliott could be.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:34 PM

I have the F1 and an Elliott Elite. My favorite is the Elliott, but as I mentioned in another thread, the Shubb F1 gets huge points in the value dept.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I played a McKinney-Elliot capo for the first time just after I got my first F1 a couple of weeks ago. The M-E seemed very light and insubstantial compared to the Shubb.

For the reasons stated by the OP I really like the F1 and have since bought two more.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-28-2015, 09:04 PM

I've been surprised at just how good the F1 is. Have never owned a capo worth more than 10-20 dollars and so didn't realize what I was missing. Guitar stays in tune, super easy to adjust and the strings ring and sustain as if there was no capo on. BTW, I sent an e-mail asking if I could order one on a Monday, they responded on Tuesday, I ordered it the same day and it was in my mailbox in Canada (British Columbia) on Friday. Couldn't believe it. As luck would have it, I was out the door to LA for a week so I couldn't try it until I returned. :-)
Taylor 814CE
Old 11-29-2015, 01:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanban View Post
I've been surprised at just how good the F1 is. Have never owned a capo worth more than 10-20 dollars and so didn't realize what I was missing. Guitar stays in tune, super easy to adjust and the strings ring and sustain as if there was no capo on. BTW, I sent an e-mail asking if I could order one on a Monday, they responded on Tuesday, I ordered it the same day and it was in my mailbox in Canada (British Columbia) on Friday. Couldn't believe it. As luck would have it, I was out the door to LA for a week so I couldn't try it until I returned. :-)
My experience has been exactly the same. Great capo and both my orders arrived here in the UK within 3 days. Also excellent email communication from Rick Shubb.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-29-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
My experience has been exactly the same. Great capo and both my orders arrived here in the UK within 3 days. Also excellent email communication from Rick Shubb.
Yrksman/Chris im thinking about ordering one of these capo's as I love my regular Shubb's. I was contemplating an Elliott capo from the North American guitar but your posts and support of these (given the quality of your guitars and clear appreciation for the finer things in life) has got my interested

How much in £ was the capo in total after shipping, customs etc? The reason I ask is beacuse i bought some 'rock tips' formula a few years ago from the States which was $10 but got hit with £20 worth (yes £ not $!) of charges. I've also bought a limited signed poster for $50 and paid another $120 for postage, insurance, customs etc...

PM me if its a bit vulgar to talk exact prices here.

P.S. Please leave some Bown guitars for the rest of us everytime I go to pull the trigger one one at TAMCO their sold almost immediately...probably to you!
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

Last edited by bobster7; 11-29-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Yrksman/Chris im thinking about ordering one of these capo's as I love my regular Shubb's. I was contemplating an Elliott capo from the North American guitar but your posts and support of these (given the quality of your guitars and clear appreciation for the finer things in life) has got my interested

How much in £ was the capo in total after shipping, customs etc? The reason I ask is beacuse i bought some 'rock tips' formula a few years ago from the States which was $10 but got hit with £20 worth (yes £ not $!) of charges. I've also bought a limited signed poster for $50 and paid another $120 for postage, insurance, customs etc...

PM me if its a bit vulgar to talk exact prices here.

P.S. Please leave some Bown guitars for the rest of us everytime I go to pull the trigger one one at TAMCO their sold almost immediately...probably to you!
PM sent.to you a few minutes ago.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

44 in total (no wife)

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-29-2015, 06:12 AM

Now I've got capo GAS. Thanx!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanban View Post
I've been surprised at just how good the F1 is. Have never owned a capo worth more than 10-20 dollars and so didn't realize what I was missing. Guitar stays in tune, super easy to adjust and the strings ring and sustain as if there was no capo on.
Exactly - definitely better than the $10-20 capos!
Old 11-29-2015, 07:44 AM

I don't own an Elliott, so I cannot make that comparison, but I can second the recommendation of the Shubb Fine Tune capo, which is excellent -- my new favorite.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:22 AM

I own an Elliott, A Mckinney-Elliott and a Elliott hybrid along with the new Shubb Fine Tune capo. I did a review on the new Shubb and compared it to the other capos recently. My review can be seen 3 topics down from this one under F1 Fine Tune capo--ready for prime time..It is the last post on page 2...Suffice to say that I like the Shubb better than my other capos as noted in my review..
Old 12-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

I've had my Shubb Fine Tune capo for a couple of weeks now and like it very much. It is a well made tool that is easy to adjust and it frets the strings true with the ability to fine-tune the amount of pressure you want to use. It's a winner at $75, I'd think it is roughly equal to the Elliott Guitar Capo and McKinney-Elliott Guitar Capo, which cost $135 each. I am not a huge fan of the push-button latch on the Elliott, but overall it works very well. I still think my absolute favorite is the McKinney-Elliott Guitar Capo with the bail latch top bar. The Shubb Deluxe is a very close second to these capos, especially at $29.95. I really don't like any of the clothespin capos very much. My least favorite is the G7, I've never gotten used to applying the right amount of pressure to get it working nicely.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:32 AM

Default Shubb Fine Tune capo issue

I just got a Shubb Fine Tune and have to say it doesn't seem to match the other reviews here. It seems to take excessive presure to cleanly depress the low and high E strings, it wobbles when adjusting the screw knob, and is difficult to remove. My inexpensive Paiges work better, and don't sound any more muffled than the F1. I'm sending it back. I've had Shubb products before and they were great, but this Fine Tune just isn't worth it. You could buy 3 Paiges for the price of one F1.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFMFL View Post
You could buy 3 Paiges for the price of one F1.
I have 3 Paiges still new and in their original packaging around here somewhere. Wanna trade?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I have the Shubb and the Elliot. I wanted an extra capo I could keep in a guitar case and as much as I like my Elliot, the Shubb is great and a much better value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion