The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-15-2014, 02:10 PM

Default Give a Christmas Gift to Student / Instructor ?

Is a guitar instructor expected to give a Christmas gift to a student, and/or vice versa ? Any protocol on this ? Any suggestions ??
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Up to each, I'd think. Probably not unusual for students (especially kids) to give them to their teacher. Lots of kids do at school.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Is a guitar instructor expected to give a Christmas gift to a student, and/or vice versa ? Any protocol on this ? Any suggestions ??
Hi pf400…

I know of no rule, or even uniform practice.

As instructor, I never give presents at Christmas simply to discourage "in-kind" responses (students thinking they had to respond in-kind).

Also, I have had students who don't observe holidays, or who are from home situations where Christmas isn't happy.

And at one time I had over 40 students - that could amount to serious dollars if I were expected to give gifts of any quality to them.

I have given gifts to friends who play of free lessons which they can redeem the next year. I've never given those to existing students.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-15-2014, 02:38 PM

I don't see ANY obligation to exchange or hand out X-mas gifts other then when a group of friends agree to do this in a blind raffle or when I think I want to show a particular person my appreciation, in which case I do not expect anything back. Giving is just more rewarding then receiving but receiving when not expecting is also nice.

Ludwig
Old 12-15-2014, 03:58 PM

I think it is common practice to gift the service providers in your life (i.e. Barber, Mailman, Guitar instructor etc.) around the Holidays.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Student to Instructor, common (ish) but keep it simple (cookies for example). Other way around, not so much. I'd imagine most instructors would have too many students for it to be practical to give something to everyone (and too much potential for insult/hurt feelings otherwise).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion