The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 AM

Default New tuner day

I pulled the trigger on a Peterson clip on tuner to keep around the house to recording and setting up my strat. I had held off getting one of these. I kept thinking people can't really hear that close of a difference. Then it happened...

I was working on making a logo in photoshop and I couldn't get the color right. I'm working with a new monitor and just had it calibrated so I knew the colors were right but it didn't look right. So the girlfriend comes up behind me and couldn't see the difference in the two shades of "orange" I was looking at.

I said "This is Burnt Sienna and this one is Burnt Orange. One is this hex code and one is this code. Still she couldn't see it. So i opened up the RGB pallet and typed in the numbers. Then it hit me. This is what I do for hours and hours a day. I can see the slight difference in red cherry, red and blood red. Since I am just now starting to spend six to eight hours a day with my guitars, my ears aren't as well trained as my eyes.

I will keep the snark for quick on the fly tweeks on stage and group playing, but i can understand where people are coming from now with the ears.
G&L S500
Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM

Krab, I've noticed the Peterson has improved my ear considerably. I've had a Peterson for 6-7 yrs. now and it is an interesting device. It can tell you a lot about your guitar, it's tuners, your string condition, etc. before you actually hear these issues. It can certainly tell you more than you wanted to know about intonation and your guitar neck.

I can tell such a discernible difference in my guitars using the Peterson that I wouldn't enjoy playing a guitar, as much, that wasn't tuned with it. They just have this Zen harmonious ring to them when properly dialed in.

Enjoy yours!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM

I just bought one today, still learning it but so far I really like it.

Keith Lewis
Charlotte, NC
rkl245 on the UMGF
rkl on Mandolin Cafe

Martin D-18VS
Martin 000-28EC
Kentucky KM-505 Mandolin
Fender Leo Deluxe Banjo
Old 03-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Love mine! You should hear what it can do for a 12 string.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion