The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-09-2010, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Difference in Bracing Between Old J-45s and New J-45s?

Hey guys,

I've heard that the older J-45s (I'm guessing from before the Norlin-era in the sixties) had tapered braces which gave the top a little more stability and helped flesh out the mids in the voice of the guitar giving it that chunkier and slightly warmer sound.

In contrast, i've heard that the newer J-45s have scalloped braces similar but not exactly to Martin guitars giving them a more pronounced bass. Just wondering if this was true and if anybody had anymore info? Gibson enthusiasts feel free to chime in!
Old 06-09-2010, 12:04 PM

Banner era J45's- 42'/46' braced tall, thin, and scalloped. 46'-55' logo era still tall, thin, and scalloped. Change to short non-scalloped braces in 55' to 82'/84'?

In the 70's they used chunky double X bracing and square shoulders (I have one).

Can't remember what they are doing now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion