The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-23-2009, 06:56 PM

Default Fingerstyle! WOW! A Call to Fingerstylists

Hi All,

I watched a couple of You Tube people play fingerstyle, which incorporated the melody. I watched it and said, "I want to learn to play fingerstyle."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2U-hGa068

I "studied" (took lessons) in classical music for 6 months, and really liked it. I found it relaxing, and almost liked it more than strumming, but I ran out of money.

My guess is that some classical technique can be utilized in fingerstyle playing, and what about this style that incorporates the melody?

Are there any good books/dvd's you would recommend?

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
...Are there any good books/dvd's you would recommend?
Hi k45...
I have rented and bought several DVDs on 'Chord Melody' style. There are some great 'masters' of it:
  • John Carlini (Chord Solo Guitar I & II)
  • Pat Donohue (Jazz classics for fingerstyle guitar)
  • Gershwin - Fred Sokolow
  • Pete Huttlinger - Solo Acoustic Guitar I & II
  • Al Petteway - Celtic, Blues & Beyond
  • Tuck Andress - Fingerstyle Mastery
  • Martin Taylor - Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar

Then there are some great DVDs by Mark Hanson - http://www.AccentOnMusic.com

Mike Dowling has some Swing/Jazz and Duet for guitar DVDs as well.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

If there is a melody fingerstyle will incorporate it just like classical style does. There is really no difference in classical and fingerstyle in this respect.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-23-2009, 08:10 PM
The Foreigner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLFjk0KXjIk
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 05-23-2009, 08:13 PM

You know, I notice (of what I've seen) that most fingerstylists tend to be instrumentalists. Is it uncommon to pair vocals with fingerstyle guitar? I guess you can tell I'm underexposed.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 05-23-2009, 08:20 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
You know, I notice (of what I've seen) that most fingerstylists tend to be instrumentalists. Is it uncommon to pair vocals with fingerstyle guitar? I guess you can tell I'm underexposed.
Have you never heard of James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, Paul Simon, Jim Croce, Gordon Lightfoot, etc. etc.?

Not to mention all those early blues pioneers which I'm not as familiar with.
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 05-23-2009, 08:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm2U-hGa068

Did you notice........played on a Yamaha fs720s, got to love those Yammies.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 05-23-2009, 08:27 PM

mmmaak,
Love your reference of Tuck. He was a local guy round these parts many years ago. I used to work in a small guitar shop and spoke with him and Patty many times.

"Hi, I'm Tuck... Guitar's my Game.... So glad you came!" That's Tuck. Deadpan, funny, and INCREDIBLE!

If only I could have known what I know now then, I would be been happier than a pig in sh..... slop. ;-)

Tuck was there, Santo of Santo and Johnny (Sleepwalk) fame, heck even Macaferri was around the block, he would pop in for strings from time to time...
Marc Beneteau Concert Standard Fan Fret
Holloway Harp Guitar Model 5 (Prototype)
Avian Ibis Multiscale
Breedlove 250CR
Takamine F-310
Takamine F-150
Takamine ES23C Classical
Old 05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsanford View Post
mmmaak,
Love your reference of Tuck. He was a local guy round these parts many years ago. I used to work in a small guitar shop and spoke with him and Patty many times.
That's awesome! Where is he now?

Quote:
"Hi, I'm Tuck... Guitar's my Game.... So glad you came!" That's Tuck. Deadpan, funny, and INCREDIBLE!
It's a good thing his playing is that good. Otherwise, that quip would have been kind of sad

EDIT: Come to think of it, he should have put it *before* the song. I can just imagine all the giggles fading away once he starts playing!
Transcriptions

Old 05-23-2009, 09:13 PM

I haven't a clue. Sadly, that shop is now long-gone. I worked there as the owner ran it into the ground. First he lost all the "lines" of instruments and equipment, then the electricity was turned off. I played on the sidewalk to try to get customers in and keep the store alive until the cops said I couldn't, then, a week later, it was gone... Very sad. I went off to college, started my business and stopped playing for 5 or 10 years. I've gotten back in and am slowly reconnecting with some of the locals, but many have fallen out of touch. Tuck used to play with a guy Little Toby Walker and a Harmonica player "The Rocket", I see Little Toby Walker is still around and at a fingerstyle group occasionally, I'll have to go to see what I can gleam.

Funny, sometimes, when you're young, you haven't a clue of what is all around you...
Avian Ibis Multiscale
Breedlove 250CR
Takamine F-310
Takamine F-150
Takamine ES23C Classical
Old 05-23-2009, 09:21 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
I haven't a clue. Sadly, that shop is now long-gone. I worked there as the owner ran it into the ground....

Funny, sometimes, when you're young, you haven't a clue of what is all around you...
Yeah, that probably describes me. I used to teach at this shop, till I found out that the owner was cheating his students (who were kids, by the way!). I left, but that experience made me vow to try and be the best private teacher I can possibly be
Transcriptions

Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
That's awesome! Where is he now?
Hi mmm...
He and his wife, Patti, have travelled the world for about the past 35 years. Their residence is in California last I knew...That video you linked to is about 30 years old, and he plays better today than ever. He is a technician who really understands the instrument...

I've even seen him reach under the neck and fret a note with his left thumb on the 1st string while still fingering the chord...he is an amazing fingerstyle chord melody guy, who plays fantastically tasty accompaniments for Patti.

They are travelling overseas quite a bit this year. I've been watching their schedule hoping they will come to the Denver area someday (or just happen to be where we are vacationing).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-23-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
Yeah, that probably describes me. I used to teach at this shop, till I found out that the owner was cheating his students (who were kids, by the way!). I left, but that experience made me vow to try and be the best private teacher I can possibly be
I firmly believe that life / God / whatever you believe, puts things and experiences in your path to teach you things. I've often commented that if someone on a line in front of you is being a jerk, it was just a way of reminding you how it looks to be a jerk, so don't be a jerk

Sadly, in business, principal seems to get thrown out with the trash sometimes.
Avian Ibis Multiscale
Breedlove 250CR
Takamine F-310
Takamine F-150
Takamine ES23C Classical
Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi mmm...
He and his wife, Patti, have travelled the world for about the past 35 years. That video is about 30 years old, and he plays better today than ever. He is a technician who really understands the instrument...

I've even seen him reach under the neck and fret a note with his left thumb on the 1st string while still fingering the chord...he is an amazing fingerstyle chord melody guy, who plays fantastically tasty accompaniments for Patti.

They are travelling overseas quite a bit this year. I've been watching their schedule hoping they will come to the Denver area someday (or just happen to be where we are vacationing).
Thanks, for the info, Larry

Yeah, I sorta guessed that video was quite old when I saw a more recent one of him with greying hair and some visible wrinkles . It's great to know he's still touring, though. Just shows how much he and Patty love their music.

Regarding him being a technician....those *in-depth* articles on his website are pretty heavy stuff!

You guys are so lucky, being surrounded by all sorts of amazing musicians. Never take it for granted!

Quote:
I firmly believe that life / God / whatever you believe, puts things and experiences in your path to teach you things. I've often commented that if someone on a line in front of you is being a jerk, it was just a way of reminding you how it looks to be a jerk, so don't be a jerk.
Well said!
Transcriptions

Old 05-23-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u782y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAw_92LYkrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZk4aLJbOc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhhlbBQMkwk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion