The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-10-2016, 10:04 PM

Default Martin DR Centennial??

On paper specs looks good for the price - Adirondack VTS top, forward shifted scalloped X brace. Indian rosewood back and sides.

Aside from the lesser cosmetics, from a tonal quality standpoint, can it rival the higher series? Is this like a HD28E without the bling & electronics but with Adi VTS top? Whu i say this is because the HD28E also has forward shifted scalloped X bracing.

If you have one or played one, kindly share your thoughts.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:33 AM

Haven't tried one myself, but I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on these as well. From specs it looks like it would be the best player in it's price range.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Bought one, tried it for a couple days and found it to be dull and lifeless in tone and sent it back. Nice features overall but a bit low-rent with the satin finish. I realize it would cost more with gloss however. Also, on this particular example the VTS process had kind of "stained" (for lack of better word) a very dark and wide stripe down the top. I could have perhaps lived with the cosmetic issues if the sound was good, and perhaps it would be in a few years, but at least this one was a total dog. No offense to dogs! Just one person's experience with one example; I'm sure there must be better examples of this model.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:55 PM

Sorry to hear that it didn't live up to its specs. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:11 AM

I played one at a local store recently.

I thought it was a terrific instrument.

I've already got many Martin dreadnoughts, really prefer 00-12 frets, and don't care for the satin finish . . . otherwise I would've bought one.

If you want a great sounding Martin dreadnaought, want an extremely low price, and don't mind a LOT less "bling" (I suppose gloss counts as bling, right?), then this guitar is definitely something you should check out.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:26 AM

Of the online videos I could find, this one sounds the most like the way I remember it sounding:

[youtube]KrhPRDf2lBA[/quote]

But even THAT doesn't really come close to what I remember. It sounded better than that to me.

It was, however, a bit more 'articulate' than how I'd describe most Martins. A little more 'dry' and 'transparent'. A bit hard to describe, really.

This is the exact guitar that I played:

Oddly, though, that one doesn't sound nearly as close to what I remember it sounding like . . . . even though it's the EXACT guitar.

I think some of it has to do with how you hit the strings. One of the other salesmen played it for me (very hard), and I didn't care for the sound that much. But when *I* played it (I don't hit the strings very hard), I loved it.

Here's a third video sample:

Again, not really how I remember it sounding.

Maybe the guys at Acoustic Letter will get one to play soon. I think their videos (and DreamGuitars) come closer to capturing the real sound than most of the videos on YouTube.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:02 AM

Default For Pros

After several months, I've come to the conclusion that it's my favorite guitar.. It's apparently not for novices, but I personally found it to be sensitive, yet sublime when fingerpicking and strumming.. Like a Steinway, in the wrong hands, can sound mediocre because of it's extreme acuity, but you don't make one guitar every hundred years for Nickelback fans.. The satin finish seems a welcome distraction from people who can't respect a fine instrument.. It's not pretty enough for Luddites, and will damage with abuse.. Much like Stradivarius.. Please don't buy this.. I want as many I can acquire.. =)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloo11 View Post
After several months, I've come to the conclusion that it's my favorite guitar.. It's apparently not for novices, but I personally found it to be sensitive, yet sublime when fingerpicking and strumming.. Like a Steinway, in the wrong hands, can sound mediocre because of it's extreme acuity, but you don't make one guitar every hundred years for Nickelback fans.. The satin finish seems a welcome distraction from people who can't respect a fine instrument.. It's not pretty enough for Luddites, and will damage with abuse.. Much like Stradivarius.. Please don't buy this.. I want as many I can acquire.. =)
Inspiring field report. My left handed version is taking shape in the factory as we speak. As a Luddite, I'm quite chuffed with the simple accoutrements of the DR-C, my only fear is that Martin will start making guitars with robots.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user222 View Post
Inspiring field report. My left handed version is taking shape in the factory as we speak. As a Luddite, I'm quite chuffed with the simple accoutrements of the DR-C, my only fear is that Martin will start making guitars with robots.
haha Um, I hate to break it to you... =) It's the only reason we can afford these bad boys at such a low price point.. Right, HAL? HAL? Open the pod bay doors, HAL... HAL?!
Old 12-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

After an initial thread I bought one. I think it's a great guitar but it won't be for everyone. It can't keep up with my HD-28V but not much can? (IMHO) But it is minimalistic and suits my needs. It has a bit different voice to me with the satin finish. And the fact that it's fairly inexpensive lends itself to being played in places where I might not take that HD-28V? Set up is spot on and plays great. If you have interest in one I say try it. It may or may not be for you but we can't say for sure. Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-15-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaroo View Post
On paper specs looks good for the price - Adirondack VTS top, forward shifted scalloped X brace. Indian rosewood back and sides.

Aside from the lesser cosmetics, from a tonal quality standpoint, can it rival the higher series? Is this like a HD28E without the bling & electronics but with Adi VTS top? Whu i say this is because the HD28E also has forward shifted scalloped X bracing.

If you have one or played one, kindly share your thoughts.
I bought the first one Jon at My Favorite Guitars got in. I love mine! Before I bought it I drove 70 miles to a Martin dealer and played a D28,HD28 and HD 35. They all sounded good but decided to go on Jon's review of the DR Centennial . I have a D18 post 2012 model so I wanted a rosewood back and side dread. I also really wanted an Adirondack spruce top. The VTS was just a bonus . I emailed Martin about the bracing which they said was the same as the post 2012 D18. I've had the Centennial for a couple months now and it has become the favorite of my 2 Martin's . I do a lot of flatpicking and it is perfect for me. The bass is deep the high end is so nice and it has a great balance and volume it's also great for bluegrass rhythm . I also play a little fingerstyle I'm not real good at it but the Centennial is very nice lightly picked to. I've tried not only SP lifespan strings but SP bluegrass in 80/20 bronze, Elixir phosphor bronze and 80/20 nano's, Tony Rice Retro's and they all sound good. For the price compared to the other Martin's I tried I felt like the Centennial is a steal. It just seems for the sound and workmanship and what you get with this model it should be priced at least where the D28 is. Although I'm happy I saved $300 to $400. Yes I think the DR Centennial is a excellent Martin dread.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Of the online videos I could find, this one sounds the most like the way I remember it sounding:

[youtube]KrhPRDf2lBA
But even THAT doesn't really come close to what I remember. It sounded better than that to me.

It was, however, a bit more 'articulate' than how I'd describe most Martins. A little more 'dry' and 'transparent'. A bit hard to describe, really.

This is the exact guitar that I played:

Oddly, though, that one doesn't sound nearly as close to what I remember it sounding like . . . . even though it's the EXACT guitar.

I think some of it has to do with how you hit the strings. One of the other salesmen played it for me (very hard), and I didn't care for the sound that much. But when *I* played it (I don't hit the strings very hard), I loved it.

Here's a third video sample:

Again, not really how I remember it sounding.

Maybe the guys at Acoustic Letter will get one to play soon. I think their videos (and DreamGuitars) come closer to capturing the real sound than most of the videos on YouTube.[/QUOTE]

Now you can compare the DR Centennial to a 1937 Authentic
For the money I'm impressed
2015 Martin D-28A 1937
2016 Taylor 458e-r

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion