The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2016, 04:36 AM

Default String spacing on Washburn R320SWRK

I bought a Washburn R320SWRK last week. I really like this guitar, but I've noticed that the strings aren't spaced evenly. As you can see in this photo, there's more space between the 2nd and 3rd strings, and then 4th and 5th strings.

Should I worry about this? It's barely noticeable on the neck.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:51 AM

From the look of the picture the A string isn't sitting to the centre of the bridge pin. Remove the strings and make sure the grooves in the bridge pin holes are central to the front of the hole. Also make sure the bridge pins are in properly and not pulling the string to the side. Before you put the strings back on, put the bridge pins back measure centre to centre of each of the pins to check the holes are machined in at equal spacings. Most american inspired guitars have equal string spacings.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:12 AM

That photo was with the strings that came on the guitar. I changed the strings, making sure that the pins are in the right direction, and the strings are still uneven, though a bit less. That suggests that the holes aren't evenly drilled. So should I exchange the guitar, or is it not a big deal? I don't think it affects playability.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:12 AM

If I'm correct that guitar has a 48 mm (1 7/8") nut (and if so hats off to you, the world needs more wide nut guitars) which suggests to me that it's aimed at fingerstyle playing. I'd personally be apprehensive about uneven spacings for fingerstyle. If however you just want a strummer and you like the guitar than keep it.

If it were me though I'd take it back. There are so many good guitars available these days you should at least expect to get one where they've managed to drill the bridge properly.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:54 AM

Saddles aren't slotted to locate string spacing. Loosen strings a turn or so and move them to even the spacing. I sometimes widen the string spacing on bridges with narrow pin spacing.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Recard View Post
If I'm correct that guitar has a 48 mm (1 7/8") nut (and if so hats off to you, the world needs more wide nut guitars) which suggests to me that it's aimed at fingerstyle playing. I'd personally be apprehensive about uneven spacings for fingerstyle. If however you just want a strummer and you like the guitar than keep it.

If it were me though I'd take it back. There are so many good guitars available these days you should at least expect to get one where they've managed to drill the bridge properly.
I am doing finger style.

If I push the strings a bit when they're tight, they do line up, but their natural center is askew. I guess it's not a big deal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion