The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
The fact that both ends of the bridge have the gap makes me think your top is bulging out a little more than healthy since the previous repair - too much humidification.
I never thought of that. I just use one of those Planet Waves soundhole humidifer and it is kept in the case. I live in New York state so we have a few days of high humidity but nothing like many other places I've lived. Also my other two acoustics are maintained the same way and they are fine.

Is there a way I can test it? I don't see any bulging.

(As an aside I had my Alvarez AD710 develop a surface top crack because of a lack of humidity ... so now this would be the opposite problem. Dang. Double dang.)

As for the ends coming up, when I received the guitar the ends were up more than the middle. Two sheets of typing paper could be put under the ends but only a single sheet in the middle.

It's possible. Are there any other indications of over humidification?
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-24-2016, 09:04 AM

Well, a double update:

First, I tried the O-Port finally in the Alvarez RD20s, the one with the bridge problem. This time I did not notice much of an improvement in the bass response but I did notice overall a little more volume and a cleaner sound in the mids with more resonance overall, so an improvement.

So one plastic thing in three guitars with three different responses.

As to my guitar, MikeBMusic was right. I took it in yesterday to the guitar tech who looked at it, cocked one eye, thought about it and took out one of those straight-edge devices you use for your guitar neck. He was able to place two nickels on the ends of the rod to straighten it out (and could have used another dime or something.) He said the whole top was bulging out and that was probably what caused the bridge to lift in the first place.

He said the good news was it wasn't as bad as when I brought it in to him as the center is still solid.

Unlike the owner with his idea of using epoxy, he offered to take off the bridge and then manually sand and curve the bridge to match the bulges in the guitar. He said that was free because the repair was still under warranty. However, he couldn't guarantee if the fix would work.

I said before he did that I would prefer to "barter" the guitar and case for some work I have been postponing on two or three of my electrics. As I said his work on electrics has been stellar. I did a barter once and was happy with what he credited me for work in his shop.

I did ask the tech if he had noticed the guitar swelling before he charged me for the bridge repair. I think he said he noticed but didn't think it would impact the repair.

In any event, no epoxy.

Right now I'm waiting for him to check up on the guitar and case and make me an offer. I am prepared to either accept it or have him attempt the fix. I am inclined to accept his offer.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM

I'll go with what others have said: do not give this person another chance. They are incompetent.

Also, during this time of year over humidification should not be an issue. More likely the guitar suffered heat stress before you bought it. Here's a reference that you should read:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...eat/heat1.html

The "luthier" should be looking for loose or cracked braces inside the body directly underneath the bridge wings. The original lifting bridge is a giveaway. That he wanted to do an easy fix in the first place and it was lifting again after he fixed it tells us that he has no idea what he was doing. He should have cleaned all the old glue off before regluing it and if it came up again either he did not do that or he did not clamp it down properly or let it cure long enough. I would not give that person any more of my business if I were you.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
I'll go with what others have said: do not give this person another chance. They are incompetent.

Also, during this time of year over humidification should not be an issue. More likely the guitar suffered heat stress before you bought it. Here's a reference that you should read:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...eat/heat1.html

The "luthier" should be looking for loose or cracked braces inside the body directly underneath the bridge wings. The original lifting bridge is a giveaway. That he wanted to do an easy fix in the first place and it was lifting again after he fixed it tells us that he has no idea what he was doing. He should have cleaned all the old glue off before regluing it and if it came up again either he did not do that or he did not clamp it down properly or let it cure long enough. I would not give that person any more of my business if I were you.
Thanks and I agree with you. I've made another post just on this "bulging" issue or whatever it is.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 AM

I can't echo strong enough that the individual that has worked on your guitar is not to be trusted. Find/use a good luthier because you will never get what you don't pay for. Pay for a quality job so you can stop checking your bridge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion