The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
At 4/32" or 8/64" the OP's action seems high, but that can be dealt with easily enough by a Taylor tech.
Maybe he can bring it down to 1/8" for him.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:51 PM

Sand down the saddle to the height you want. A little at a time.

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 PM

I bought my GS Mini off CL and when I got it the action was a little high. I sanded the saddle down carefully, a little at a time, until the action was a good height. I also carefully adjusted my truss rod - but only after reading a few articles about how to do that . These steps helped a TON.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 08-22-2016, 06:35 AM

For a brand new guitar that might have been stored for a while, I would first check the neck relief. The truss rod in a Taylor is metal in a wood channel and the wood can shrink. Next I would look to see how much height above the bridge is available at the saddle and consider sanding the saddle. Finally, and the wonderful thing about Taylor guitars, the neck angle can be reset under warrantee while you wait.

The low end Taylors don't always have the most attractive wood (and veneers), or ideal quarter saw or run out (though I'm sure all good enough structurally). If you like the look of this particular guitar, let the local Taylor tech fix the action. With the bolt-on neck, unlike glued on, the initial neck angle is no big deal to change.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 PM

To follow up I completely agree that this is not a systemic GS mini issue. I have owned 3 and the Koa was the only one that needed neck attention. These are very well built guitars and I am extremely happy with mine as well as Taylor's exemplary customer service.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion