The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2010, 12:06 PM

Default Jesse Brace

Anyone own and/or ever played a Jesse Brace made guitar? Pls. tell me what you know.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorryma View Post
Anyone own and/or ever played a Jesse Brace made guitar? Pls. tell me what you know.
I have never owned or played one of his solo builds. I have owned, and really liked a lot, one of the Legend guitars he built as part of a 3 person shop.

Jesse keeps a pretty low profile and is pretty highly thought of in luthier circles.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
I have never owned or played one of his solo builds. I have owned, and really liked a lot, one of the Legend guitars he built as part of a 3 person shop.

Jesse keeps a pretty low profile and is pretty highly thought of in luthier circles.
I owned a couple of Legends as well, and they were pretty decent guitars. One was an MJ though, and the bridge was not in the right place, no way to get the intonation right without removing and replacing it. Kind of a bummer, because I did like the guitar.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Jesse Brace

I have a Jesse Brace mini-jumbo with east Indian rosewood back and sides, sitka spruce soundboard, ebony fingerboard. I love it, it is my favourite guitar. It looks beautiful and sounds beautiful, with very good balance. I did have the bridge replaced with a bone bridge that was custom cut which slightly improved the intonation. I also had a clear pick guard put on, and a K&K pickup (which is okay on its own, but sounds great through the matching K&K external pre-amp and a good amp resulting in a very natural balanced sound). The Jesse Brace has a bit less bass compared to my Taylor GS8, but the latter is a very large guitar.

I do wonder what happened to the Jesse Brace company, since its web site seems to have disappeared. I can only guess that it is difficult to make a living as an independent builder.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:21 PM

Wow, talk about a zombie thread.

I owned a handful of Jesse's guitars, but it's been a while and nothing really stands out tonally. They were a good value for a handmade. Like many other Canadian builders, I think Jesse got his education at Larrivee. Not sure what Jesse is up to now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion