The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-17-2021, 12:08 AM

Default Collings 002h 14

Hello. I was wondering what owners thought of these guitars - the newer 14 fret models, I mean.

Is the mid range weak? Anyone play both a T version and standard?

Any experience, in general or specifically with these models, with a European spruce top? (I am assuming E means European spruce and G German? What's the difference?)

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2021, 12:33 AM

Here is a recent thread about European spruce.

Boucher SG-52 (Adirondack Spruce/East Indian Rosewood)
Bourgeois OM Custom (Italian Spruce/Cuban Mahogany)
Martin Custom Shop 000-18 (VTS Sitka Spruce/Sinker Mahogany)
Taylor GA3 (Sitka Spruce/Sapele)
Old 12-17-2021, 12:49 AM

Since Collings offers Engelman as well as a "European" spruce option, the E is a little confusing. In the past the European spruce was indicated by a G, since German spruce was the Collings European spruce. Unless someone else knows, this might take a call to Collings to find out.

German is European spruce, which is labeled, I believe, according to its country of origin or export. So, Huss and Dalton offers Italian spruce--which is also European spruce.
Old 12-17-2021, 01:22 AM

For the standard 002H 14-fret (and the standard 001 14-fret) the midrange is definitely not weak. They’re excellent guitars. I haven’t played the Traditional versions.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingSparrow View Post
Hello. I was wondering what owners thought of these guitars - the newer 14 fret models, I mean.

Is the mid range weak? Anyone play both a T version and standard?

Any experience, in general or specifically with these models, with a European spruce top? (I am assuming E means European spruce and G German? What's the difference?)

Thanks.
G is German - but not necessarily from Germany; E is englemann. In my experience you a lot more German topped Collings. I lean Adirondack myself, but Collings builds nice German topped guitars.

Unfortunately, no personal experience with the 14 OO, but I love my O1A T (14) and OM1AJL.

Call Raymond at AMW - he’s a great guy and gives extremely useful feedback. Great shop!!!
Old 12-17-2021, 03:48 PM

Thanks for your contributions. I am not concerned about the E vs G top thing; just curious.

Perhaps there aren't many 002h/t 14 fret owners out there, it being a relatively newer model. If there are any, I'd love to hear from you. Impressions of the 001 models are welcome, too!

I asked about the mid range because I was surprised as to the fullness of the 002h 14 fret model's sound. There was a 2 year old OM1T at the shop, too, that I really liked as well. It was very beautiful and full-bodied in sound, balanced (singing fat trebles and a pronounced but well-controlled bass) and yet had a slight (and very pleasant) bias towards the mid range. It was surprising to then play the 002h and find this incredible fullness whilst still not losing clarity of the fundamental - which appear very clear and bell-like and linger for a second before dissolving into a very light wash of overtones. I liked how the basic note is clear under the "wash" - melodies stand out but that slight extra just makes it all so much prettier

The 002h arrived from Texas just a week ago, it was a bit tight and begged loosening up, while the Om1T was used and sounded like a mature guitar. That got me thinking about how the 002h would age. If as the basses and trebles loosen and become even more present, if the mids would get overpowered a bit, as rosewood is popularly/stereotypically known for or if these guitars are voiced for this beautiful balance and the mids would mature nicely along with everything else.

I played 3 models with adi tops yesterday, 2 were new but torrefied (an OM1 and a 002h 12 fret) and one (the OM1T) was well played in - none of them sounded harsh at all. In fact, they were really very rich and warm, but with a lot of power. There was a third OM1, I forget what top. It was my least favorite guitar of the day. I don't remember much about it because I put it away rather quickly.

The 002h with the E top - whatever that is - was as loud as the OMs with the adi tops. Differently voiced, for sure. I was really surprised how full in sound the 00 bodies were. It would be great to have both. I really think a 002h 14er and a 001t 12 fret would be a perfect pair to have for those who prefer smaller bodies + short scales.

The 002h 12 fret model was great too. Bassier, punchier. Perhaps a bit darker? But the 14 fretter was really really very sweet sounding. Each of these guitars was so good, it's hard to go wrong really. If anyone has some experience with both 14 and 12 fret models - i'd love to hear your thoughts of how they differ etc.

I was surprised how light their mahogany models were, compared to other brands. I had not noticed this before. But compared to a similar martin - the difference is astounding. The rosewood models were quite a bit heavier than the mahogany backed ones but still discernibly lighter than others with similar woods. I appreciated that.

Everett: You know, I actually happened to call AMW yesterday and the gentleman I spoke to was very kind, courteous and generous with knowledge and time. Small things make such a difference. Folks at Collings and AMW seem to be very pleasant to deal with. It matters, makes for a better day, and should be both mimicked and rewarded.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion