The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-14-2001, 08:55 PM

Question Taylor neck and Goodall neck

I've owned a Taylor 1995 Limited Edition Grand Auitorium (Mahogany/Cedar) for about three years and absolutely love it. I've recently purchased a new James Goodall Koa Concert Jumbo am noticing quite a bit of differences in the neck. They are both 1 3/4 necks but the Taylor has a wider string spacing at the nut end, while the Goodall has a wider string spacing at the saddle end. The Goodall is also a thicker neck, and is harder to play. I love the Goodall sound and quality, but I miss the feel of the Taylor neck. Has anyone else any imput on the necks of the Taylor and Goodall. Is mine "standard", or is mine a little off. Also the Goodall is just a hair higher action than the Taylor, but is really hard to play.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:08 PM

Wink

Thats why Taylors are the best...LOL.

;-)

cb
Old 02-14-2001, 09:39 PM

Don't worry ... you'll get used to the Goodall neck. And yes, they're quite different animals (well, guitars actually). It took me about 6 months to get used to the Goodall neck. If I played it longer than 15 minutes (Jumbo) - 30 minutes (Concert Jumbo), my left hand would cramp up.

As for the higher action, you may want to have it adjusted. I never remember thinking the action was higher.

Have fun playing your new guitar ... especially since it's koa (I love koa!). It could take awhile to get used to ... but don't give up on it. You'll love playing it soon.
Old 02-14-2001, 09:41 PM

I just played a few Goodalls and Taylors today at Buffalo Bros & another shop along the way. While you can lower the Goodall action to the same as the Taylors, the necks do feel a bit thicker. I think if you get it set-up to where you like the action it will play a bit easier.

GL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion