The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-12-2021, 08:24 PM

Default Repair Top Brace Takamine

Hi. I have a Takamine F-363. My uncle gave it to me. A top brace inside is gone. Is it possible to replace this brace without taking off the back? The brace is towards the back. Between the bridge and the strap peg.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:46 PM

Yes. It is one of the few times when I have appreciated my skinny arms. The only braces I have difficulty replacing through the soundhole are the X braces.
Old 05-13-2021, 08:24 AM

I was "blessed" with long skinny arms too and I can pretty much touch the tail block of any guitar. You will need some specialty clamps for such a job long and thin clamps. And you have to get your technique down. Definitely do several dry runs first.

You will need to clean the area very good getting rid of all the old glue wiping away saw dust and that sort of thing. Probably just use tightbond glue. And you may want to consider gluing the brace on square and then carving it later. A piece of plexiglass makes a good clamping caul on the top of the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair