The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Hiscox case question

I am thinking of getting a Hiscox case for my Collings CJ35. I know I will always have a slope and the Collings case is quite heavy. I am not going to get the Calton but not wanting to argue that here. They are great cases but I don’t believe they are as protective as folks think. I could be wrong but science says I may be right. Anyway, how much more protective is the Artist vs the Pro2? I will be using it for gigs, local travel and maybe flying. Let me know what you know. MW
Old 04-02-2024, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcrawford View Post
I am thinking of getting a Hiscox case for my Collings CJ35. I know I will always have a slope and the Collings case is quite heavy. I am not going to get the Calton but not wanting to argue that here. They are great cases but I don’t believe they are as protective as folks think. I could be wrong but science says I may be right. Anyway, how much more protective is the Artist vs the Pro2? I will be using it for gigs, local travel and maybe flying. Let me know what you know. MW

Mark,
I’ve never had an Artist. But my 2 pro 2s are really fine for my purposes. I’ve gate checked my J 50 several times, no sweat.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-02-2024, 09:00 PM

If I recall the Artist has twice the puncture protection (thicker plastic skin) of the ProII, but don't quote me on that. . Most people seem to be satisfied with the ProII unless they fly frequently.
Old 04-02-2024, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

I have Both the Artist and the Pro.

The Artist has more cushion at the bottom, and also more space at the top. The Artist is longer.

The Locks are also bigger on the Artist. The Pro II locks are roughly about 3/4 size when compared.

Hiscox Website says this:
Artist
Outer shell increased thickness by 66% giving 4 x puncture/impact resistance over Standard specification case
220 square inch extra cushion padding for extra shock protection and improved fit

Pro II
Outer shell increased thickness by 33% giving 2 x puncture/impact resistance over Standard specification case
32 square inches of cushion padding in key areas for extra shock protection and improved fit

Unfortunately the website seems to have a glitch when it comes to the weight differences between the two. Saying both are 10.4 pounds. But I know this is incorrect. The Artist is something like 3 or 4 pounds heavier?

I emailed Hiscox some time ago...and they assured me that the ProII is very strong. They have had multiple instances where a car ran over the ProII and the guitar was just fine.

With that being said.....Yes, the Artist is much more protective...And the ProII is easier to maneuver around because it is lighter and slightly smaller in length.

I LOVE EM BOTH!
Old 04-02-2024, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Hey Mark: I have both Artist and Pro 2 cases. The weight difference question came up in an older thread, so I actually weighed them - the Artist is a hair over 2lbs heavier. They are both great cases, but the Artist definitely is a sturdier / more protective case. The two other specs on the Artist that I didn't see mentioned above is the heat treated aluminum valance - slightly thicker than the Pro2, and the more comfortable leather handle vs the molded handle. You really can't go wrong with either one!
Old 04-03-2024, 03:34 AM

Default The Artist cases are just nicer.

The Pro II is a great case and fantastic value for money, but the Artist cases feel more premium with a lovely leather handle, crushed velvet interior, and better catches. The outer shell is thicker and offers more picture resistance.

I’ve had many Hiscox cases over the years and the two Artist cases I have are most definitely the nicest.

Last edited by nikpearson; 04-08-2024 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:57 AM

I went with the Artist model for my vintage J-50. In length and width, it's not that much bigger than the Gibson case that came with my 2022 50s J-45, however, in my experience handling the cases, it's height/depth makes it feel a bit clunkier when compared to the Gibson case. I just measured it. The Gibson case has an external height of 6", and the Hiscox Artist has an external height of about 7.5-8". The Gibson case has a slight belly on it over the body area, and the Hiscox case is flat across the top.

I chose the Artist model over the Pro II because of the added thickness of the outer shell and the extra padding inside. The leather carrying handle and the harder aluminium valence are nice features as well.

For my uses, I probably would have been fine with the Pro II. But I haven't found the Artist case to be objectionably bulky or heavy, so I don't mind having the added protection.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

I guess I need to weigh my Collings case. I have two Martin CEOs and one has a very light, probably less protective silver case. That one is much lighter and I find myself using it more than the other one, which is more sturdy but noticeably heavier. Gave my daughter one of my guitars a few years ago and that guitar had a hiscox case. I can't even remember which one it was but it was much lighter. I am trying to go lighter with at least as much protection as the Collings case. Off to the scales.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

The Collings case weight is 14.2. Where are ya'll buying the Hiscox cases? I think I am going to get an ivory one.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The Collings case weight is 14.2. Where are ya'll buying the Hiscox cases? I think I am going to get an ivory one.
I bought a Pro II direct from Hiscox. They were having a 15% off sale.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Where are ya'll buying the Hiscox cases? I think I am going to get an ivory one.
Very Often Andertons music has them in stock...and if they don't, they will have them soon.
Shipping to U.S is FAST and Very reasonable. Like 3 to 4 days!@

https://www.andertons.co.uk/search?search=HIscox

Slightly cheaper from Andertons versus buying direct....usually
The main question is shipping prices between direct and Andertons. Andertons may be less expensive...but you will have to check

https://hiscoxcases.com/products/dre...se-artist-spec
Old 04-03-2024, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Bought mine from Anderton’s

https://www.andertons.co.uk/acoustic...itars-in-ivory
Old 04-03-2024, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

There is a YouTube video out there someplace that has a picture of a very crushed artist case. I'd say it was a very bad airline abuse, it really actually was. The owner's custom guitar was unscathed. She had no problem buying another.

Forum member 6L6 has flown to the UK many times with the Hiscox ProII. He convinced me to try one. I have not been disappointed. Perhaps the Artist takes more abuse, but for what I need the Pro II is the ticket.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM

I've got a ProII for my J45. The case itself feels a little lighter than the standard Gibson TKL case. But it's very robust. Like, I can stand on the Hiscox when it's latched.

I wouldn't fear traveling with the ProII - I always have been able to take mine as a carry on. But I'd lean towards the Artist if I traveled more often with the possibility that I might have to gate check my guitar.

ETA - I got mine through Anderton's, too. It was a smooth transaction and didn't take very long at all to arrive. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is these days but it really made the case affordable a couple of years ago.
Fender EJ Strat

Last edited by joeappel; 04-03-2024 at 02:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion