The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-18-2024, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
...What in the world prompted him to return to the Eagles when they restarted? Had to be a boatload of cash.
Not because they are one of the greatest bands ever? Even us musicians need to work.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:13 PM

The Eagles have no fewer than 5 vocalists at any time on stage. If any one of them were having an off night, or week or month, all they would have to do is clip their mic and let the others sing with no negative effect. There is no reason to go to the effort to do an elaborate synch to make it look like one was singing that wasn't. That's just from a logistical perspective. I'm glad we have someone like Bob to shed some sanity on this.

As for the elaborate production and staging, that happened as acts came along looking to differentiate themselves from others by elaborate dancers and background singers. The only way to keep current was for bands, like the Eagles in this case, to follow suit. People began to want the "performance" more than the music. That coupled with the fact that today the only life-sustaining money is made from touring so you want to fill the venues, especially stadiums.

My guess is that during their 2024 performances they will make fun/light of this nonsense by making sure they show people that they are singing live. This is too much nonsense. When that happens nobody thrashing them today will have any retractions or commentary. They'll just move along bashing someone else.

Last edited by LAPlayer; 04-18-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2024, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I think that it's more likely than not that there was a recording involved, but..

If any singer could (and would want to) sing a song nearly/exactly the same five months apart, a song that he had sung thousands of times I'll guess, it would be Henly.
Old 04-18-2024, 04:09 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
I think that it's more likely than not that there was a recording involved, but..

If any singer could (and would want to) sing a song nearly/exactly the same five months apart, a song that he had sung thousands of times I'll guess, it would be Henly.
Given the additional info in the follow up video that Fil posted, I think it's pretty clear that they are using a vocal track (on that song, at least).

I don't view it as a stain on the Eagles, their legacy, or even Don. It just is what it is. If I were his age, doing what they are doing, and this tech option was presented to me as a viable performance option... I'd likely do it.

This is pretty much their last hurrah, folks. It is all about bank right now. That's it.
Old 04-18-2024, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
This is pretty much their last hurrah, folks. It is all about bank right now. That's it.
Don't disagree but...who ISN'T about the bank now? C'mon, most of the set list are 45-50 year old tunes.

I will say that seeing Jon Anderson (with The Band Geeks) you KNOW you're getting live "Yes" vocals. Unless he recorded tracks where he forgets some of the lyrics on purpose...
Old 04-19-2024, 03:32 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Don't disagree but...who ISN'T about the bank now? C'mon, most of the set list are 45-50 year old tunes.

I will say that seeing Jon Anderson (with The Band Geeks) you KNOW you're getting live "Yes" vocals. Unless he recorded tracks where he forgets some of the lyrics on purpose...
Interestingly, the Doobie Brothers, Uriah Heep, and Wishbone Ash, are all putting out new music, ie. new albums, despite everyone saying there's no money in albums. There are some people who just have to create, I suppose.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-19-2024, 04:51 AM

Going back to the original point, given his litigious nature, I would think if these claims were unfounded we would've heard from Mr. Henley's team of attorneys by now.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-19-2024, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Interestingly, the Doobie Brothers, Uriah Heep, and Wishbone Ash, are all putting out new music, ie. new albums, despite everyone saying there's no money in albums. There are some people who just have to create, I suppose.

Bob
Somebody hit the big score.

They figured it out.

We were gonna do it anyway.

Even if it doesn't pay.

Gillian Welch

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-19-2024, 05:50 AM

I am and have been a huge Eagles fan from the earliest moments of their career.
Having said that…I’m completely “Eagled Out” in every way, musically, drama, and whatever.
Sadly, most of my indifference is attributable to Don Henley, “Captain Hypocrisy”.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-19-2024, 06:49 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
It helps that it no longer costs $100k+ in studio time to cut tracks... and you no longer have to make distribution deals that take a percentage of the gross.

So these bands/artists can cut new material for far less $ than the old business model, and sell their material (CDs, digital downloads) and keep 100% of the profit.

I suspect that it's not a lot of money, but it's still positive net income for the band when all is said and done. And yes, there are artists that are just compelled to create. They would do it even if they made no money.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Don't disagree but...who ISN'T about the bank now? C'mon, most of the set list are 45-50 year old tunes. . . .
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Don Henley is worth $250 million and Glen Frey was worth $120 million at the time of his passing.

I don't think it's about the bank. I think it's about the ego, the adulation, the applause, the need to be relevant and in the limelight. Some people just can't give it up.

Perhaps some people just love performing. . . but the Eagles never struck me as guys who were performed just for the love of performing.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:33 AM

Old 04-19-2024, 09:57 AM
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
According to Celebrity Net Worth, Don Henley is worth $250 million and Glen Frey was worth $120 million at the time of his passing.

I don't think it's about the bank...
Many of the celebrity net worth totals are highly suspect (as evidenced by the many celebs that have said they are ridiculous)... however, even if Don is 'worth $250 million' you are thinking that it's enough... that having a certain amount will satisfy the lust for more...

The direct contradiction to that is that Don (and Glen) were unwilling to share publishing with the other members. Even to this day, Walsh and TBS and everyone else is simply a paid musician with no residuals (unless they are direct writers on a particular song). Don doesn't give a penny more than he has to, which is one of the knocks some have used against him.

When you consider all of the work that goes into planning and executing a tour, my personal belief (and it's just that, my belief) is that it's 100% about the bank. Don could get all the adulation he wants in other ways, if that's his primary motivation. The fact that he keeps touring, to me, reflects his desire to squeeze every dollar he can out of this gravy train while he still can.

And I don't blame him one bit.
Old 04-19-2024, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

One things for sure. If this is not true, I would think a cease and desist letter would have already arrived. I promise you, Don has already seen this video.

The fact that over two weeks in and its still up tells a story. Will be interesting to see this play out if it even does. They may just let it lay because its true.

On another note, I've always, within the last 10 years, thought they were using tracks because it just sounded too perfect.

Regards,
Billy
Old 04-19-2024, 01:38 PM

The Eagles were a perfectly okay commercial country-rock band.

What's the controversy?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic