The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Heavy Guitar Case destroyed/ Madi Diaz ?

Some time ago, Madi Diaz had her beloved Martin destroyed on a plane flight, in what looks to be a super heavy duty case.

Not positive, but at first glance this looks like it is a SKB 3i-4217-18 iSeries Waterproof Acoustic Guitar Case.
If so, this thing looks like it is built like a tank weighing 23 lbs.
If you click on the upper left hand corner picture a short video shows the bottom half of the case.

https://twitter.com/madidiaz/status/...843159/video/1

My question is :
Do you think the weight and rigidity of this model case worked against protecting the guitar. or would have any case failed in this extreme situation?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-01-2024, 09:29 AM

It looks to me like it got run over by a heavy vehicle right in the middle of the case. If that's what happened, I can't see how a stronger case could in any way have made things worse.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage View Post
It looks to me like it got run over by a heavy vehicle right in the middle of the case. If that's what happened, I can't see how a stronger case could in any way have made things worse.

Agree- I doubt any (reasonable) case on the planet was saving that guitar.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I read a post about this in my news feed. From what I read and the pictures I saw (just an opinion, don't know if it actually was), it looked almost like an intentional act. "Hey JimBob, you think I can run over that "Flight" case without crushing that there geetar - Much like the old Samsonite commercial with the suitcase in the gorilla cage.

I don't think a Calton, Hoffee, et al would have made a difference in the outcome. The force to do that would most likely have destroyed the guitar in any of them! Sad story - hope someone steps up to make it right!
Old 05-01-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
I read a post about this in my news feed. From what I read and the pictures I saw (just an opinion, don't know if it actually was), it looked almost like an intentional act. "Hey JimBob, you think I can run over that "Flight" case without crushing that there geetar - Much like the old Samsonite commercial with the suitcase in the gorilla cage.
I honestly doubt that this is the case. Everyone working at every single job at an airport is well aware that they are on camera 24/7 everywhere except for the bathroom. They would be losing their job and certainly opening themselves up to pretty serious liability and it's all on tape. I mean, I guess anything is possible but this seems pretty unlikely. I think it's much more likely that it was an accident. Wild speculation on my part but if I had to guess, I'd say that it fell out of a ULD and got run over by a large bag tug.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:42 PM

There is a world of difference in the capabilities of what is essentially a plastic guitar case and a fiberglass or carbon fiber case. You are never stopping something like a forklift -- way too much weight for anything less than thick steel or the like to stop. But you should be able to run over a Calton with a large pickup truck and not have any damage. A Calton is also 3 times the price of that case .... so yes, there is a good chance a Calton would have survived.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:15 PM

It happens. Have great insurance on your instrument, whether you travel or not.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
. . . Do you think the weight and rigidity of this model case worked against protecting the guitar. or would have any case failed in this extreme situation? . . .
No. Think what the guitar would've looked like without the case. Nothing is indestructible. Looks like a truck ran over it or a beam fell on it. Even the best case can only take so much.

It's better to ship instruments. FedEx and UPS are more careful than airlines and more willing to take responsibility.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:37 PM

At 6'-6" and 308 pounds, I have stood on my SKB i-series case with no damage. It is as good as a Pelican case, IMO. But nothing can prevent damage if a truck runs over any case, or some other extreme event. Some accidents are not survivable.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

https://www.youtube.com/watchTkxtjWkXA2s?v=

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 05-01-2024, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

I don't know who that is, or if it matters, but the vehicles and machines used to transport luggage in airports are capable of crushing any guitar case. There's no getting around that for checked baggage. Getting a case that can handle drops is a good idea, but don't expect any case to survive vehicle or machine damage at an airport.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion