The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-10-2006, 01:21 PM

Another happy Sound Seat customer. Most comfortable guitar chair I've ever used.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 07-10-2006, 02:23 PM

I've tried a couple of the Sound Seat stools, and can say that they are very comfortable. I don't own one though. I do own a Pick-n-glider though, and love it. It's not only comfortable, but it is also an attractive piece of furniture that looks as good in the living room as it does in the music room.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Get a SoundSeat! J.R. is a great guy to deal with, and the chairs are first class! They ARE worth the money!

I actually use mine in my home office because it is so comfortable. Sooner or later I'm going to break down and buy a true desk size chair from J.R., so I can put this one back in my music room. I bought the mid-back model with the chrome foot ring & gas lift! One of the two best music related purchases I have made, right up there with Bob C's bone & ivory creations!

If you compare the SoundSeat to the gas lift product by Roc-N-Soc, the SS is actually cheaper. Get a SoundSeat and your back & backside will be very happy!
Old 07-10-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Soundseat v.s. The Guitar Chair

It's a wonderful world ...my old practice stool broke on the weekend and voila, right under my nose a diverse and interesting product catagory to help fill the void!

After a tour of the four guitar seating manufacturers websites featured in this thread, it appears that choice abounds.

Construction
Steel Frame / Wood Frame

Soundseat The Guitar Chair
Roc-n-Soc Pick-n-Glider

Design
Contemporary / Traditional

Soundseat Pick-n-Glider
Roc-n-Soc
The Guitar Chair

Portable / Non-portable

Soundseat Pick-n-Glider
The Guitar Chair Roc-n-Soc

Surprisingly, given the very different approaches to design and what must be very different materials costs, they all arrive at about the same cost, give or take $50.

Based on comments in this thread, and reading the sites, I would lean toward the:

The Guitar Chair (there's only one model), $300
http://theguitarchair.com/order.htm

or

Soundseat, either "Gas Lift Guitar Seat with Standard Back," $230.00; or
"BreakDown (portable) Gas Lift Guitar Chair with Standard Back," $310.
http://www.soundseat.com/models.html

I love the clean lines of The Guitar Chair, and the fact that it folds flat. Very slick. Concerns: would I miss the footrest? (when not standing, I have practiced on a plain tall stool with cross bars to rest my foot). And the height is fixed (but there are three fixed heights available). Finally, it seems to offer somewhat less value than the Soundseat, materials and features wise.

The Soundseat has four advantages that I can see: it appears to work like a quality office chair in that it is completely height adjustable, it has the foot-ring foot rest, it has casters for rolling between gear without getting up ...and seating area is covered in real leather that comes in many narly colors. Concerns: it's not as cool a design as the Guitar Chair!

Anybody tried both?

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 07-10-2006, 04:36 PM

Another very satisfied Soundseat owner here. J.R. provides exceptional customer service and his product is fantastic.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dog
The Sound Seat is pretty nice but expensive. The guitar models are $230 for the standard back and $250 for the mid back plus S&H.

Sound Seat
I'm not seeing a functional difference between these and the top of the line Gibraltar drum thrones, except these seem to cost about $100 more.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiktok
I'm not seeing a functional difference between these and the top of the line Gibraltar drum thrones, except these seem to cost about $100 more.
Gibraltar makes a good product for a basic chair, but just sit in a SoundSeat, and there is NO comparison. High density injection molded foam, top grain leather, gas lifts adjust height at the touch of a lever, etc. It's like comparing a Volkswagon to a Porsche!

SoundSeat - accept no substitute!
Old 07-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiktok
Keep in mind that J.R. Baker, the founder of Soundseat, is a drummer who began making these because he couldn't find drum thrones that were comfortable enough or that were made well enough.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
minister of twang

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdOne
the guitar chair looks awesome... Is it comfortable?
way. very.

i initially got interested in the guitar chair because i'd been battling some position issues that were exacerbating tendenitis. my theory was that if i could find a good, ergonomic position and consistently play in said position that i'd be in better shape. danged if it didn't work.

i don't tend to sit in it for more than 2hr stretches, except when recording. i've done a few 6-8hr sessions in it. my hands and leg get tired long before before my back/haunches.

for the record, i use a foot rest.

it's a bit of an extravagance, i'll allow. i bring it to gigs and always tell the sound guy, "yeah, i'm a diva."

spendy but worth it.
l'twangage
Old 07-10-2006, 08:34 PM

I bought a Soundseat, and love it. In fact I bought two more and use them at work. They are fantastic, and worth every penny, and JR is wonderful to work with.

Now, I use these three seats for computer chairs and primarily play standing up. Go figger ... :-)

But if I *ever* play sitting down again, it'll be in one of my soundseats(tm) . . . . ..!!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 07-10-2006, 10:40 PM

Be careful in letting others try your SoundSeat. You may not get it back! The guys in my church's sound booth fall all over themselves getting it back to me when I need it, but it's clear that their idea of my "needing" it and mine are two different things. They love it, and so do I!

I'm not a drummer, but have tried a number of quality drum thrones. Some are better than others, but none measure up the the SoundSeat. They are a true fiend to the end.

And, yes, J. R. Baker is a prince of a gentleman and provides the very highest level of customer satisfaction both before the sale and afterwards.

cotten
Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Charter Member

I have gone to using a large (65cm) exercise ball for when I play at home. It is very comfortable. I would not use this out of the house...but what a difference and for only $25 bucks or so. It forces me to keep good posture and I can move my legs and lower body around as I play to keep the blood flowing. I was going to buy an expensive chair until I ran across this. I have used it for several hours at time.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:58 AM

I want t obuy a sound seat, but i really want the AGF model, ive seen someone have it once, Gotta promote Not that we need to at this point haha.

Anyone know where i can get one or if someone has one they want to sell?

- Cornerstone Zion - German Spruce/Sinker Redwood Double Top with Madagascar Rosewood B/S and Koa Bevel/Binding

Incoming:
- MichaudMade OM-R Flamed Brazillian R/W & Euro Spruce
Old 07-11-2006, 03:44 AM

Contact JR Baker at SoundSeat and he will have pretty much anything embroidered on it that you want.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:38 AM

I use a drummer's throne with an old shoe shine box for a foot rest - I can keep extra strings and slides etc in the shoe shine box - Nice touch for the stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion