The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-12-2006, 02:35 PM

I would agree with a few of the other posters that if you are looking for a good sounding guitar when amplified Taks are pretty good value for the money but if you look for a good sounding acoustic guitar they are not good value for the money. In other words the guitar's electronics are of a higher quality than the guitar itself. I used to own one and was amazed by how good it sounded plugged in compared to acoustic but finally I just got fed up with the poor acoustic sound and sold it. None of the Taks I have tried since then have changed my opinion that they are generally poor to mediocre guitars that have good electronics.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.I.am
a non-solid wood guitar is not real? wow. learn something new every day. (shrugs)
As far as acoustic guitars go, no. A laminated guitar is basically a boat oar. It is not a real acoustic guitar. I have no facts to back that up, but I wouldn't feel bad taking a Tak canoeing, lets just put it like that.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:10 PM

I used to think mine was decent unplugged, and great plugged in. Since I got my Gibson, the Tak now seems sadly pitiful unplugged, and piercingly brittle when plugged in, in comparison to the jumbo Gibson. However, I still have it, despite these obvious deficiencies, it still has its place as "beater", and it seems to be pretty immune to feedback. It's also comfortable and plays nicely - in other words, it's "service-able".
Old 05-15-2006, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbluguitar
As far as acoustic guitars go, no. A laminated guitar is basically a boat oar. It is not a real acoustic guitar. I have no facts to back that up, but I wouldn't feel bad taking a Tak canoeing, lets just put it like that.
how long have you been working at guitar center?
Old 05-16-2006, 04:35 PM

I played a Tak EF341SC for two years.

Sold it, moved on up.

I still like them, and see them on TV quite often.

I prefer the "made in Japan" Taks.

Taylor- 614ce (2012), 614ce (2008), 315ce (2010)
Martin- DX1 (2009)
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 AM

Default Eg260c

This guitar is very comparable in size and specs to my Ibanez AEG10E. The only question I have does it have a good balanced plugged in sound, good bottom, middle, and top. The Ibanez does and I know because of the small body it won't have a good unplugged sound. I never use unplugged as I have a straight acoustic for that. Anyone?
Jack
Old 02-22-2010, 11:45 AM

I had a TC135SC crossover nylon string, which I sold not so long ago. As others have said, it was very good plugged in. However, I think if a guitar also walks and talks like an acoustic, it should deliver a good acoustic sound, which this one didn't, for me. I think I would have been more impressed by it if Takamine had abandoned the attempt to please everyone and made a slimmer bodied model, with nearly all the emphasis on its plugged in qualities.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Blaster...
Medium quality guitars with great pickup systems. Don't sound that great in the room, sound awesome through PA systems.

Action can be set to play well, and if you damage one, it can be replaced in a day or two.

I have to respectfully disagree. Unfortunately, taks still get a bad rap unplugged. Keep an open mind
Old 02-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Import. Go for a US made. Martin, Taylor, etc. Just my opinion.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
'Import' has nothing to do with it. There are great guitar makers all over the world ... including the USA!
Old 02-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
????????

JAPANESE MADE Tak EAN40C owner here...sounds GREAT unplugged as well as plugged in.....very fun / easy to play

I've played lots of Martin's and Taylor's that have really underwhelmed me by the way
Old 02-22-2010, 01:09 PM

I'd put my $1K Tak up against a $1K martin or taylor anyday of the week.

EF341SC - It does everything i need it to do for a strummer. Bon Jovi, Toby Keith, and Springsteen seem to like it pretty well too. What a workhorse.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:43 PM

I think in general they make great guitars for the money. My first acoustic was a Takamine back in the mid-'70s when they copied Martins down to the script typeface on the headstock. I don't recall the model number, but it was an all-laminate copy of a D-28. While its sound would never pass for a real D-28, it played and sounded better than any all-laminate guitar had any right to. The only reason I ever sold it was to get cash to put toward my M-38. As much as I love my M-38, there are times when I wish I'd kept the Tak, as well as buy the Martin. Probably would have only taken a couple more weeks of saving to do it.

1977 Martin M-38
1982 Stelling Staghorn
2013 Larrivée D-40R
2014 Andrew White Eos 1011 (sold)
2016 Pisgah Possum
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM

I like them. I like them a lot (the solid wood versions that is...not the "boat oars" as referred above).
Martin 000-JBS
Martin LX Jimmy Buffett
Martin DM3MD
Martin D-16GT
Martin Sigma DR-41
Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM

My EF381SC sounds great plugged in, and I have gotten compliments on that sound at a couple gigs. That being said, it is a bit quiet unplugged, but the neck shape and low action make it easier to play than some other 12 string acoustics I have tried.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion