The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 PM

The Bedell MB-18-G came in just a little while ago and I echo most of what has been said here- it's an impressive guitar, seems to be cosmetically perfect, has a tight and musical sound and is quite loud. It's a darn good guitar, and not just for the money.

I am having a little bit of an adjustment time for the strings as I'm used to a smaller scale now, and the neck is a little thinner and slimmer than my other guitars, but the tone just might be worth the bother. However my thicker fingers and advancing arthritis might dictate otherwise. I have the rosewood version on order but I'm not really certain what I'm going to do just yet.
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 08-15-2014, 04:19 PM

Default Mb-28-g

Just pulled the trigger on a MB-28-G after seeing they have come back into stock at AMS.

Been debating whether to get a Taylor 114 (always wanted a Taylor..) or try the Bedell, but this deal was just too good not to bite.

Hopefully I will be happy with the Bedell - can't argue with all solid sitka / rosewood for under $400!

Can anyone recommend a nice pickguard that will fit the guitar?

Last edited by bm7at81; 08-15-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:37 PM

Looks like my MB-28-G is on the way!!! Yippeeee! Zzzounds had a pretty quick backorder --one whole day! Can't Wait!
Old 08-15-2014, 10:24 PM

I should not have clicked on this thread!

the list price is $1849 for one of those.... and they are selling for

$399?

I want one on principle - saved a 'ton' of money on a Bedell.

seriously ya'll got me thinkin about a cutaway version.

if these weren't on sale what do ya think they would go for? Would you pay that?

thanks

Last edited by El Duque; 08-15-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:46 AM

I put an MB-18-G on order yesterday. However, I’ve noticed that some sites list this model as and orchestra and others, including ZZOUNDS where I ordered mine, list it as a Grand Auditorium. I’ve checked the Bedell website, but no info on this model. Does anyone know for sure?

I see they also have an orchestra model with spruce and RW for not much more and that would have been my choice of woods had it been available as a GA.

BTW, I haven’t ever played one of these, but took a chance at this price. A third of their normal street price just seems too good to not take a chance. And I recently picked up a Taylor GC5, but as a strummer it was probably not the best guitar for my needs. I like the smaller body size and playability for sure, but need more projection. It also has a cedar top which doesn’t help.

Anyhow, hoping I got a good deal on a guitar which will better fit my needs.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:46 AM

http://www.musicdistribucion.com/upl...nal-122211.pdf

This is a 2012 catalog. Information about your model can be found here.

Evidently, the Performance Series and all of Bedell's Imported guitars are available in four sizes.

Jumbo, Dreadnaught, Orchestra and Parlor.

No Grand Auditorium.

Last edited by Brick is Red; 08-16-2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 AM

The Bedell OM's are somewhere between Martin OM's and Taylor GA's… but Bedell's have deeper bodies.

Lower bout: (Martin OM 15 in.) (Bedell OM 15 1/2 in.) (Taylor GA 16 in.)

Depth: (Martin OM 4 1/8 in.) (Bedell OM 4 13/16 in.) (Taylor GA 4 5/8)

Length: (Martin OM 19 3/8 in.) (Bedell OM 20 in.) (Taylor GA 20 in.)
Old 08-16-2014, 10:43 AM

Still getting used to that narrow nut but have to admit this guitar is impressive. IMO my example is better than other Chinese guitars I've tried and owned, and comes off more like a production US guitar. Can't wait for the MB-28-G to get here now!
Blueridge BR-341
Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I cancelled my order and placed a new order for the TB-18-G. Your info was very helpful.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 AM

Looks like I have a lot of fellow Kool Aid consumers and that Bedell warehouse is dwindling...zZounds, American Music & Same Day are out of Bedell MB 28-Gs. zZounds & Same Day no longer list it, and Same Day Music says "This product has been discontinued or is no longer sold by SameDayMusic." (Other models are still listed.)
Old 08-17-2014, 08:09 AM

Default Got the MB28G

New here, purchased a couple of the mb28g's (one for me, one for my son), really impressed with these guitars, especially for the price, but I have had a couple of issues, but great customer service from AMS. Of the first two that they shipped me, the very best one as far as appearance, tone, setup had a slight hairline crack in the fingerboard from the 16th fret down to the end. It was definitely slight because it took me 3 or 4 days to notice it. This was very frustrating because it was far and away the best looking wood grain, tone and the setup was perfect. I sent a picture to Bedell and they said that it definitely should be either returned or repaired, that they could repair it but it would take at least 6 weeks and they strongly recommended return for exchange. I chose to return it and AMS had just gotten a couple in and shipped me one even before I received the return label. Terrific customer service. The one that I received for replacement, however, was set up like a dobro, almost unplayable, even at the first 3 frets. It looked like someone took a new bridge and installed it without any trimming or modification whatsoever. If I return this one, I'm concerned that they won't get anymore in so I'm going to go ahead and bite the bullet and pay my luthier to do a proper setup. Still very nice guitars and even with the extra $75 for a setup, a smokin' hot deal. I'm quite surprised at the tone of these guitars and the projection. I wanted an OM style guitar to complement my dread's but didn't really want to pay the price for a quality one, so I didn't buy one until now. Best of both worlds: low price & high quality, & from a reputable seller to top it off.

Last edited by jdnan; 08-17-2014 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2014, 08:45 AM

Default PS: hard case that fits the Bedell MB-28

When I received my MB28G, I decided to find a hard case, was searching all the usual suspects and found this case on Amazon selling for $35 w/ free shipping: Yamaha DC-LS hard case. It didn't have measurements and I had the hardest time finding measurements on the Yamaha LS series guitars, so for $35, I took a risk and ordered it. It fits, very tight at first, but after a few days starts to loosen up where the guitar slides in just fine but still has a snug fit. I like the fact that the guitar doesn't move around at all. Negatives of the case: only 3 ply, mediocre build quality, the lid is a little "cadi-wankered" i.e. I have to wiggle the lower bout area to get it closed properly to hook the latch. This seems to be because the hinges aren't quite aligned perfectly (cheap chinese mass produced) & the strap to keep the lid open gets in the way. Positive: looks good, arch top, light, better protection than the cheap gig bag. I wouldn't pay the current price of $110 on Amazon/Sam Ash and $100 on musicians friend, there are better options for that price range.

Last edited by jdnan; 08-17-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-17-2014, 10:40 AM

After owning the mb-28-g for a few days, it's really such an awesome guitar I cannot get over it. Unreal value at this price point. If I had more money I would get another for sure. Seriously, anyone who is on the fence should just pull the trigger!!! And mine came set up pretty perfectly, just needed a little turn of the truss rod.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post
After owning the mb-28-g for a few days, it's really such an awesome guitar I cannot get over it. Unreal value at this price point. If I had more money I would get another for sure. Seriously, anyone who is on the fence should just pull the trigger!!! And mine came set up pretty perfectly, just needed a little turn of the truss rod.
If I didn't know better, I would have said that these were my words. I can't get over my good fortune in learning about this blowout and pulling the trigger in time to get get my MB-28-G.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick is Red View Post
If I didn't know better, I would have said that these were my words. I can't get over my good fortune in learning about this blowout and pulling the trigger in time to get get my MB-28-G.
Haha I'm with you guys. I'm guessing it's because these guitars have a man's name attached to them making one person responsible in the end and potentially threatening to affect his business reputation whereas, and I do appreciate and own other Chinese makes, the other companies do not.

I have an MB-28-G on order and they say it will ship but I dunno, and there's the possibility that it will arrive in less than satisfactory condish too. Either way though I'm covered because the MB-18-G I have is awesome! I actually didn't want to say much until I decided how many I wanted to buy. I may regret not getting more including the ones with electronics and the jumbo.
Blueridge BR-341
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
all solid, bedell