The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 10:28 PM

Yeah I'm taking a chance here, and doing it on account of the combination of a desire for a decent OM, the reputation of Bedell and the low price offered.
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

I'd probably trade my Yamaha ls16m are for the bedell I missed out on.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:50 PM

I ordered the MB-28-G. I would have ordered the Jumbo, but snooze and lose. I haven't heard or ever seen a Bedell guitar. At these prices, I'm more than willing to give it a try.

I would have missed this Blowout had it not been for the OP. I ordered mine through AMS with 3 payments. Cheap!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:15 PM

Default Bedell MB-17G

Mine is on the way, and I can't wait, had an alvarez dred that was solid cedar and sapele, just hate the way dred's sit on my knee, always seem to slide away from me. Orchestra shape fits my leg better. Loved the sound of the alvarez, hope the bedell sounds as good if not better.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:25 AM

Anyone get their order yet? Curious as to your thoughts, I'm thinking of the getting the dreadnought as I really like an Eastman OM that's local, but with the prices maybe the dred. will be a good addition.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:55 AM

I received my tb18 a couple days ago from AMS. Fit and finish are beautiful. Action is slightly high for me but not terrible. Sounds pretty nice to my unsophisticated ears, somewhat on the high side, Guitar was back ordered for a week after I ordered it and shipping (free) took another four days. I'm quite happy.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Anyone else?

Martin D-35 50th Anniversary Limited Edition
Taylor 814
Taylor DN5--Engelman top, tropical mahogany
Taylor 412ce—LTD maple
Giannini Classical 1960s vintage
Taylor GS Mini
Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 AM

Mine's in on Friday if the tracking is accurate.
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 08-13-2014, 11:53 AM

Not much of a blowout
Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 PM

My order (tbce28tb) is still on back order, but I don't have high hopes for it coming in.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:55 PM

My MB-28-G arrived today while I was home for lunch. I placed the order on Sunday night (8/10/14) and it shipped from Olive Branch, MS. I am in Indianapolis, IN.

I'll wait a month or two before doing a review, but I will say that this guitar is loud and has great playability. No buzz, dead spots, or immediately evident problems.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:01 PM

I got my TB18G yesterday. Fit and finish were great and it sounds very nice. Action is just a tad high but not enough to bother me. I may adjust it though. Body is not as deep as my Alvarez which makes it a little more comfortable for me to play. Overall it is a lovely guitar and I am very happy with it, especially for the price I paid for it. My only complaint is that the gig bag isn't what I would consider "deluxe". It is a pretty standard gig bag, fine for in the house but I wouldn't trust taking a nice guitar out into the world with it. I have seen the gig bags that come with the entry level Bedells and they are much nicer than what they are shipping with these.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick is Red View Post
My MB-28-G arrived today while I was home for lunch. I placed the order on Sunday night (8/10/14) and it shipped from Olive Branch, MS. I am in Indianapolis, IN.

I'll wait a month or two before doing a review, but I will say that this guitar is loud and has great playability. No buzz, dead spots, or immediately evident problems.

Was that the only box it came in? Or was it double boxed?
Old 08-13-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry13 View Post
I got my TB18G yesterday. Fit and finish were great and it sounds very nice ... Body is not as deep as my Alvarez which makes it a little more comfortable for me to play.
Being a body that is not as deep how is it tonally, especially the bass response? Thanks.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Default The Brothers Bedell

I got my order yesterday.

A cedar over hog orchestra
A sitka over rosewood orchestra
A maple jumbo

Seems to me that they are reasonably constructed guitars that should hold up over time. I agree with the guy that said the Bedell sound seems to be a bit high. Even higher than the typical Taylor sound.

The cedar over hog guitar has open back tuners (Grover), fishman electronics, and very nice trim appointments. The figured hog is among some of the prettiest I have ever seen. Not what I expected sound wise. Not nearly as warm as other cedar hog combos I have played. In fact quite bright.

Looks 10
Sound 5
Feel 8

The rosewood sitka combo may be the best sounding of the trio, except for the fret buzz...

If I keep it a luthiers attention will be needed. Closed Grover tuners that did not feel confidence inspiring at all. Seemed to slip a bit. Plain Jane looking EIR and nice sitka top.

Looks 7
Sound 7.5
Feel 6

The jumbo has both a good looking top and back and side set. It is plenty loud and the tone is decent. It has the same closed back Grover tuners. The problem here is that somehow the strings feel very crowded around the sound hole. The neck seems fine and I have no problems fretting the instrument, but my right hand fumbled all over the place. It has been a long time since my right hand felt crowded on a guitar. Got a feeling this one will be making it's way back

Looks 8
Sound 7
Feel 5

Just got these yesterday and have not had much time; especially seeing as I couldn't resist buying 3 at those prices. I will give them some time; with consideration to how long I have to return them if I choose to. I thought my preliminary evaluation may be of help to potential buyers. I may review one or more of them after I have had proper time to spend with them.

I got a PRS Angelus for $450 with a hard shell case that will eat all of these guitars lunch IMHO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
all solid, bedell