The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Some beautiful guitars in this thread, I kind of like my 2005 Martin OM-45 Tasmanian Blackwood, only flamed Engelmann top I have ever seen.
I just love how that top invades everything we have been told about straight tight grain, the tree it was cut from must have been very unique. martin wouldn't have used it on such a high end guitar if it din't have a great tap tone from the beginning. Awesome guitar (of course not as nice as mine), just kidding.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:31 AM
*mahoganut*

massimo - here's one of yours:

rr
Old 09-23-2009, 07:33 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
My Bashkin 00-12 fret, LS redwood over Panamanian rosewood.
Jim - that LS redwood top is one of the most beautiful I've ever seen!

rr/Phil
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
What's that purfling? Maple? It's almost gold-like in the picture. Very elegant
mmmaak - it's koa. The binding is macassar ebony between the BRW and German Spruce. Kudos on this one to JasonA who with Mike Baranik picked out the woods. I've had it two years and keep finding new things to love about it.

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 09-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Riorider-
I seemed to be unable to insert the picture itself (forgot how to), so big
THANK YOU

best regards
Massimo
Old 09-23-2009, 09:34 AM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I think everyone's own guitar will be the most beautiful for them, I know mine are

Looking to learn the guitar? Watch some beginner guitar lessons.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoTom View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I think everyone's own guitar will be the most beautiful for them, I know mine are
I respectfully disagree.. While I love my guitars... They are not nearly as beautiful as some of the instruments featured in this thread..

me
Old 09-23-2009, 10:46 AM

Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
I just love how that top invades everything we have been told about straight tight grain, the tree it was cut from must have been very unique. martin wouldn't have used it on such a high end guitar if it din't have a great tap tone from the beginning. Awesome guitar (of course not as nice as mine), just kidding.
Does Martin "tap" their tops? I wasn't aware that they did. Nonetheless, it is a nice looking top.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorKoaFan View Post
Does Martin "tap" their tops? I wasn't aware that they did. Nonetheless, it is a nice looking top.
you know i don't know the answer to that, you would think they would considering the model and top of the line guitar.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
you know i don't know the answer to that, you would think they would considering the model and top of the line guitar.
No Martin does not tap their tops, the grading is cosmetic and 45's get the highest grading, 42's get one down, etc., some tonewoods have 4 grades some have 8.

That top does fly against the norm no doubt, but it was one of the most expensive model in 2005 and they only made 29, so it got the best of the best. The bookmatching is perfect, the grain is super tight in the center and on the ends (much tighter than any other guitar I have) but wider in the middle, and yes it winds like a snake top to bottom, not even close to straight grain. The flames move as you tilt the guitar, it almost looks 3-D in person, but all this is cosmetic. Fortunately is really is the best Martin I have personally played and I have friends/acquaintenances who have played it and say the same, she's not just a pretty face.......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
No Martin does not tap their tops, the grading is cosmetic and 45's get the highest grading, 42's get one down, etc., some tonewoods have 4 grades some have 8.

That top does fly against the norm no doubt, but it was one of the most expensive model in 2005 and they only made 29, so it got the best of the best. The bookmatching is perfect, the grain is super tight in the center and on the ends (much tighter than any other guitar I have) but wider in the middle, and yes it winds like a snake top to bottom, not even close to straight grain. The flames move as you tilt the guitar, it almost looks 3-D in person, but all this is cosmetic. Fortunately is really is the best Martin I have personally played and I have friends/acquaintenances who have played it and say the same, she's not just a pretty face.......
Very cool guitar
Old 09-23-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:

oh there is no doubt in my mind it sounds great. I don't know if it is true but I heard once that Stadeveria (Spell is wrong I know) but the best of his violins/cellos/and such were made from 1 specific tree he had. And after that tree was gone so was the super greatness of the instruments. Might just be folklore but that is what your top reminds me of.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
You sorta just did

do'h!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Default ok - back to the pictures

Italian Spuce/ Quilted Maple - sounds even better than it looks, but it's hard not to keep stopping and look at the back

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone

Last edited by coopman; 02-04-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion