The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaW View Post
Is that your daughter? Could she be any cuter????
I don't think it's possible.

Thanks Linda! Very nice thing to say. I do want to be clear, that's not my house. We were on a beach vacation last week.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

I think this discussion has remained tasteful. But let's not come down of Fliss. She's an active member of this community who is consistently respectful and constructive. Although I don't feel the way she does (as a guy, it would be hard for me to relate completely to her perspective) but she has the right to say if the thread makes her uncomfortable. On the Mandolin Cafe' there is a similar thread called Women with Mandolins. It got a trifle raunchy at one point and some women members gently pointed out that they were getting a bit uncomfortable with the locker room atmosphere. The Cafe is a great place and the thread, which is still going like gangbusters, took a friendlier tone. It was a nice example of self-correction without censorship or rancor. I think the same thing is happening here, which is a good thing.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:56 PM

freud would have a field day with this....
Old 04-02-2009, 10:49 PM

Default The Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I have a T-Shirt from the 2003 Healdsburg Guitar Festival that melds the guitar shape with the back of a woman. Their logo that year was called "Beauty & Tone". Pretty inventive.

Very inventive indeed!

I think there is a wonderful parallel between this promotional piece and the poster for the movie, "The Guitar" that I presented in the original post.

This is a cool movie. First of all, it was made by none other than Robert Redford's kid, Amy Redford. Yes, it did well at Sundance!

Here is the plot synopsis:

The Guitar" is a story of one woman's spiritual, emotional and creative transformation. One morning, Melody "Mel" Wilder is diagnosed with a terminal illness, fired from her thankless job and abandoned by her boyfriend. With nothing left to lose, given two months to live, she spends her entire life's savings renting a loft in the Village. Thinking she'll never have to pay the piper, she lives off her credit cards, fills the loft with the fanciest products, sensually engages both the parcel-delivery man and a pizza delivery girl and teaches herself to play the electric guitar she's craved since childhood. These life affirming experiences transform her irrevocably.

If the King loves music, it is well with the land. ~Mencius

bourgeois omc euro
ca cargo, gxi
doolin om
gibson custom j45 vine
larrivee sd50, cust.walnut parlor
martin d40, d18ge, ltd.000 hippie
takamine ef341sc, ltd98
taylor 555-12, T5-C, 516ce FLTD

electrics: suhr-s, taylor T3-B, gibson lp std, guild '63 starfire III & '80 IV; amer.dlx & '57 AVRI strats; 52RI & J Burton teles
Old 04-02-2009, 11:48 PM

2,144 views - wow

Boys will be boys..lol
2009 Martin LX1
2008 Yamaha FG720s
Old 04-02-2009, 11:53 PM

guess my last one was to much, sorry

lets try again

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 AM

Old 04-03-2009, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I think this discussion has remained tasteful. But let's not come down of Fliss. She's an active member of this community who is consistently respectful and constructive. Although I don't feel the way she does (as a guy, it would be hard for me to relate completely to her perspective) but she has the right to say if the thread makes her uncomfortable. On the Mandolin Cafe' there is a similar thread called Women with Mandolins. It got a trifle raunchy at one point and some women members gently pointed out that they were getting a bit uncomfortable with the locker room atmosphere. The Cafe is a great place and the thread, which is still going like gangbusters, took a friendlier tone. It was a nice example of self-correction without censorship or rancor. I think the same thing is happening here, which is a good thing.
That is exactly why I suggested that AGF make an adult post for threads like this. They know our age and could screen out the underage, and those adults that do not wish to participate wouldn't have to even go there. But alas we struggle with our own desire to be normal. And FWIW many agreat artist has taken heat for trying to be a normal adult (if there is such a thing).
Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

There has been and never will be anything wrong with a pretty guitar and a beautiful woman.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
dev,

In this age of bulletin boards and such, this is a fine assessment! I agree with you. I've been a participant on many a board in another hobby and related discussions took a downward spiral and fast, requiring much moderation and subsequent locking.

I think we should be proud. For sure, this forum is rare in it's respect and courtesy. I should hope our gals here can feel comfortable in this, with respect.

Jeremy.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
That is exactly why I suggested that AGF make an adult post for threads like this. They know our age and could screen out the underage, and those adults that do not wish to participate wouldn't have to even go there. But alas we struggle with our own desire to be normal. And FWIW many agreat artist has taken heat for trying to be a normal adult (if there is such a thing).
Your suggestion has been heard and respectfully rejected. There are plenty of places on the net for what you suggest. The AGF is not one of them.

cotten
Old 04-03-2009, 06:52 AM

very tasteful and artful thread!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM

Default I named mine

I named my Jumbo after my wife and she thought I was joking till I told her how much I appreciated the beauty of her and the joys she has given me and that I thought the guitar reflected all of those things that she has shared over the many years.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and if they choose to convey the beauty of a guitar with a young attractive women, well so be it,nuff said.Ship........ who after 28 years still loves his wife and appreciates that she understands with affliction with guitars
Old 04-03-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missouri.picker View Post
But alas we struggle with our own desire to be normal. And FWIW many agreat artist has taken heat for trying to be a normal adult (if there is such a thing).
I'd just like to point out that NORMAL is merely a setting on a washing machine.

Aside that, I find this thread has merit above the more baser desires of us guys. Though it would be nice if the artists pictured were identified by name... several pics here don't have any names associated. I trust my desire to assign a name to a face is not considered out of bounds.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach bob View Post
I'd just like to point out that NORMAL is merely a setting on a washing machine.

Aside that, I find this thread has merit above the more baser desires of us guys. Though it would be nice if the artists pictured were identified by name... several pics here don't have any names associated. I trust my desire to assign a name to a face is not considered out of bounds.
I think I recognize Jewel, Salma Hayek and Elle McPherson among those not named. I'm thinking Salma and Elle might not really play guitar. But who cares?

Just to keep it guitar related, the guitar Jewel is holding is a Danny Ferrington custom, I think. Looks like his work.

Last edited by David Hilyard; 04-03-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion