The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 PM

thanks for all the response guys.

can anybody pm me a good street price on the gs mini? thanks a lot!
Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syko1031 View Post
thanks for all the response guys.

can anybody pm me a good street price on the gs mini? thanks a lot!
Jim at guitar rodeo is known for great prices. My favorite guitars and LA guitars are also well regarded. That said I personally haven't seen a new mini listed for less than the standard $499 that seemingly everyone is selling it for. Unless shipping is free you are better off just buying one in person.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 AM

Double post.

We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time.

Last edited by Jarlaxle; 04-22-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Double post.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 AM

Default Blown away by the little martin!

I read almost every review out there about the little martin and found that generally, people really seemed to enjoy their little martins. Of course, being who I am, I was a little skeptical and extremely curious to try it out for myself. Luckily, i found one that was within my budget and got it second hand by some random guy on the internet. I was sure it was a scam, or that there must be something wrong with it for him to sell it for so cheap, but I was pretty desperate to try one so got it anyways. I ended up buying the LXM java mahogany that is about 6 months old.

Then, came my first strum... it was quite magical. I haven't been playing guitar for too long and my previous two guitars hadn't been all that good (Ibanez AEL and a custom made guitar about the same size as the Taylor GS mini), but wow, the little martin was so mellow, but loud with incredible sustain (at least compared to my other guitars). In fact, I even felt like the sustain was a bit too long for what I am used to, but it definitely something I can get used to.

The funny thing is, my mom was wondering how big the guitar was after hearing it through the phone...she said it sounds louder than my big old Ibanez AEL, which by the way is incredible huge for me.

As for the strings, the previous owner set it up with a light gauge martin strings. I knew beforehand that medium gauge was what was meant for the little martin and bought a set for medium gauge strings to replace the lighter gauged ones before I sealed the deal with the little martin, but even with the light gauged strings, the treble isn't overpowering at all (depending on what pick I used, or whether I am strumming by hand).

I just got myself a bone nut, saddle and pins to replace the plastic ones (saddle and pins are plastic, while the nut seems to be the martin equivalent of Tusq). I anticipate the bone will help a bit with the volume, sustain, and bring out the bass a little more. The only question I had with this guitar is why Martin decided to only install a tusq nut and not a tusq saddle as well, if the saddle is more important to sound quality than the nut... Anyone know? Maybe the previous owner had it set up differently...

I can't wait to get this baby set up with the new strings as well... but the strings will have to wait a bit because I'm not about to waste my hard earned money on a new set of strings if my old ones are perfectly functional, and even sound great!

To be honest, this little guitar opened my eyes (ears, to be exact) to the whole world of sound quality. If this little guitar can sound so good, I can only imagine what properly constructed Martin guitars can sound like.

If I can rave a little more about this little guitar (lol), I'd want to add that I have tiny hands (Not only am I Asian, I have smaller hands than my elementary school cousin! Tiny by any standard), and been having a hard time with my Ibanez AEL. Now that the distance between frets is much shorter, i can actually play chords without buzzing.

I had every intention to resell the little martin if I didn't like it (as I already have a full sized AEL), but this one's definitely a keeper!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:27 AM

Default GS Mini..... buy this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisG View Post
I've played all three, and there's no comparison: the Mini is far superior to either of the others, and it's not even close.
+1 I agree with this post 100%!!! Jim, street price is $499.00 and Musician's Friend has free shipping AND EZ-pay plan 4 paymts of $125 debit from your debit bank account or credit card....check them out. Mickey.

Last edited by mickey66; 02-13-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 AM

Of the three you mention I'd get the Mini BUT there are other choices. Someone has mentioned a Walden T550 (I think), very close to the Mini at half the cost.
Also I use a Recording King RP-06 for my travel guitar. Full scale and a better sound then all but maybe the Mini, and again half the cost of the Mini.

I've owned the Baby Taylor and Little Martin. They are playable but there are better choices in my opinion. I really like the RK and for me it fits the role of travel guitar quite nicely. Good luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 PM

If there's a Guitar Center near you, you can use their coupons on Taylors, even though the fine print on the coupon says you can't. I spoke to the manager at my local GC and he said the only brands for which they won't accept the coupon are Apple, Bose and EVH.

In November, they had a coupon for 20% off all guitars priced $499 or higher, so I paid $399 for my GSMini. It was brand-new, factory sealed in the box. They asked if I wanted them to open the box to try it before buying. I said yes, and they opened the box. I played it for about a minute before saying I'd take it. I know there's probably going to be some moaning and groaning from the GC haters here, but I don't listen to them. If you want to pay a local shop $100 more for the same thing, be my guest.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 PM

Default baby taylor vs little martin

Hi there
I've been reading tons of posts online on this subject and was in the market and bound and determined to buy one or the other. I have to be honest and say I was very much leaning towards the Little Martin after everything I'd read on here and other forums. So today I went to Guitar Center, played four different Little Martins and one Baby Taylor and the Taylor stole the show!

The Little Martins all seemed to sound 'dead' to me, whereas the Taylor had a great ring to it through the bass, treble and mid range. In my opinion the neck on the Taylor is much nicer to wrap your hand around. It's smaller and smoother and has a great feel. So after an hour or so of trying and re-trying them all I purchased the Baby Taylor.

Great guitar, great price and great sound.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:41 AM

Oops. Wrong thread
A few Telecasters

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion