The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischang View Post
Greetings,

I am the proud owner of the cocobolo OM. Eric and a few others that went with me to pick it up were amazed at how beautiful this guitar looked in person. The small details that Kevin added really completed the guitar together as a whole such as the cocobolo purfling and bridge pins. The tone is amazing and so well-balanced that can handle heavy strumming without it breaking up, it is truly a strummer's dream. It was a canon from the start and what some of us noticed was that the guitar has already started opening up since the moment it left the shop. I must say waking up every day and strumming it is a new experience and it just makes me appreciate the work of a person who is a master of his craft. I must say more than anything I appreciated the experience of getting to know Kevin and his family. Kevin is one of the most genuine and honest people I've met and I do encourage many of those people who haven't tried omegas to take the opportunity to. Of course to try them because of their amazing tone and aesthetics but also to possibly dive into an "out of this world" experience and to get to know such a a humble and sincere individual as Kevin Gallagher. Once again thanks so much for everything Kevin!
Congrats Chris!! I was taken aback by the beauty of the omega. Your top is Caparthian? How is it for fingerstyle?
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1999 Applause guitar (Given away)
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
2005 Jeff Yong JJ Euro/Macassar
2006 Doerr Legacy German/Madagascar
2009 Simon Fay OM Redwood/Koa
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 08-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Congrats Chris!! I was taken aback by the beauty of the omega. Your top is Caparthian? How is it for fingerstyle?
Yes it's a carpathian top. I don't really play much fingerstyle but there is definitely a good separation of notes i guess i would say it's more suitable for flatpicking. Sorry that's the best way I can describe it.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

I think its great for fingerstyle and fingerpicking! thats the top on my new guitar too!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 08-22-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I think its great for fingerstyle and fingerpicking! thats the top on my new guitar too!
Eric, remember to update us with your build!!
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM

Default Good Times....

I'm looking forward to moving ahead on Eric's baritone guitar, but we need to find some nice woods for the laminated neck.

The body is here and well along in its progress as the top just needs its rosette before it can be braced. Then the body can be closed.

First, though, I'm working on a few other guitars for a couple of very patient customers who have been very gracious as i've gotten back to completing guitars. Brew and Jake who are AGFers will be next to see their guitars leave my shop as well as a dealer in NM as he receives a pair.

I'm really excited about the pace that i've been able to keep after such a long layoff.

It's times like last Friday when players can come in to pick up their guitars that make this and incredibly fun and exciting business. Eric and the guys pulled in and we were able to talk for a little t catch up and get to know urbanmike as he was visiting for the first time.

Then, we stepped into the shop where I had both of those Oms on benches and ready for strings. I had set them up with light gauge strings and when I emailed Steve and Chris to ask their preference, both were lening toward medium or medium/heavy sets so I waited until they came in to string them up, and tweak their set ups to their liking.

The cool thing is that one wanted their action lowered a bit and the other wanted their action raised a bit so after a few minutes of saddle work, they were read to play.....and all of these guys can pay well. It's fun to meet young guys who actually know how to play their guitars and are passionate about playing them.

I like to wait to install pickguards until the players get a look at their guitars without them, too. Both opted for a nice clear guard. The same is true for strap buttons at the heel area. I like to let them see the guitar without the button and allow them to decide of they want one at that time. Again, both guys had me install strap buttons since they do a lot of playing live while standing.

Lots of talk about the AGF and recent threads and funny observations about different topics and posts, but all are glad to have it as a great online resource and community. It's actually pretty amazing when we get talking about the forum that we know so many members by their user names or tags
and have established connections with so many that we have things in common with.

A great visit and the very best of all of the experiences that a luthier gets to enjoy....handing a newly strung guitar that he's designed with a player and then build just for them. Not many things compare to it and i'm sure any luthier would agree.

Oh...one thing that does make it even more special is when the guys are thrilled with the guitars....the way they look...the way they play....and the way they sound.

Thanks the Eric, Mike, Chris and Steve for a fun afternoon filled with laughs, playing and pizza and a whole new set of memories for me and my family to cherish and enjoy.

All the best,
Kevin Gallagher/Omega Guitars
Old 08-23-2008, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Gallagher View Post
Thanks the Eric, Mike, Chris and Steve for a fun afternoon filled with laughs, playing and pizza and a whole new set of memories for me and my family to cherish and enjoy.

All the best,

no, thank you
Old 08-23-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:

All the best,
Hey Kevin,

I can imagine all the thrill, fun and excitement that all of you guys enjoyed.
I do hope to fly over to receive my omega when it is done. I do not know how possible it is but this will be one of the thing I plan to do in years to come.

With all respect, Kevin, YOU are the ones that make it all possible for omega owners!!!
2013 Martin 000-45ECM
2018 GS Mini Walnut
Kostal German/Braz

Gone to a better place:
1997 Taylor 912ce Cindy
Omega GC on order
2011 Collings OM2H
2013 Collings 0-42G
2003 Olson Cedar/IRW
Old 08-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

lions, tigers, and bears, oh my! oh, and a wild boar?

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 08-23-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
First, though, I'm working on a few other guitars for a couple of very patient customers who have been very gracious as i've gotten back to completing guitars. Brew and Jake who are AGFers will be next to see their guitars leave my shop as well as a dealer in NM as he receives a pair.

I'm really excited about the pace that i've been able to keep after such a long layoff.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:48 PM

Yup Very cool stuff! This thread has gotten better and better!

- Cornerstone Zion - German Spruce/Sinker Redwood Double Top with Madagascar Rosewood B/S and Koa Bevel/Binding

Incoming:
- MichaudMade OM-R Flamed Brazillian R/W & Euro Spruce
Old 08-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
+1

Whoo-hoo!!

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be heard. - Proverbs 21:13
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion