The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-07-2024, 07:00 PM

Default Kerfing

Question for all you professionals, can I install Kerfing with clothespins? I know it was done in the past. Do I really need Kerfing clamps?
Old 04-07-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Jrh View Post
Question for all you professionals, can I install Kerfing with clothespins? I know it was done in the past. Do I really need Kerfing clamps?
Spring type clothes pins work fine if you add an extra rubber band doubled over several times below the pivot point.
Old 04-07-2024, 11:57 PM

I find clothes pins work pretty good, I've never added the rubber band, I buy the bamboo ones they seem a bit better quality.

What I find better is binder clips. The small ones about 3/4" wide seem best. Bought a tub with about 60 for around $5 at Staples.

Old 04-08-2024, 02:03 PM

Not a professional, however I have completed several acoustics, ukulele and most recently an open-back banjo. I do make my own kerfing, and have used clothes-pins.. but would give a second to office binder clips, not expensive and multi-purpose..
Old 04-08-2024, 03:38 PM

One note about the spring steel clamps.

The reason why many shy away from them is that they react with any contact with Titebond glue that can create permanent black stains on the lining strips and/or the outer surfaces of your bent sides. The sharp steel edges can make indentations in softer woods like mahogany, so in general be aware that there's a risk involved with their use.
Old 04-08-2024, 07:33 PM

Default Clothes pegs work well…

…but a rubber band between the spring and jaws can help with clamping force.

In the past, I have shaped the jaws to apply pressure over a wider area and to avoid indentations when using Spanish cedar linings.This can be quite time consuming but if you always use the same type of linings it is one time only job.

Having said all that, I really like the StewMac aluminium clamps. They apply even pressure form the outset. Just wish they were not quite so expensive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair