The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-02-2022, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Default "Mature" Taylor Guitar question

So, I am looking at some "mature" Taylors for purchase as I love the build traits from the 90s. My question is in regards to the neck and potential neck resets as these guitars do not incorporate the new NT neck system. I guess my question could pertain to any Taylors prior to the NT neck addition. Is it less of an event to reset a Mature Taylor neck? Anyone had a reset done?? How are the Mature Taylor necks holding up?? I am going to bet that they are great without many issues but just want some feedback from my guitar friends.
Old 03-02-2022, 09:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

It is my understanding that a neck reset on a pre-NT neck Taylor is an extremely easy job for a good luthier. I've heard people say that you just unbolt the neck, saw a small amount off the neck heel, and bolt it back up. It takes a bit of care but is an easy job.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-02-2022, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

A friend's guitar needed a pre-NT neck reset. They are bolted on but the fretboard is glued to the guitar top. He described it to me as being more involved than an NT, but less involved than a dovetail. The cost was also somewhere in-between the NT and dovetail. (EDIT: BTW I laughed when I first read your post headline. I thought you meant you were going to ask a "mature question" about Taylors, not a question about "Mature Taylors"...LOL)

Last edited by gmel555; 03-02-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Smile The pre NT necks…

All Taylors have bolt on necks. The older ones do use shims. Do not let your luthier cut the heel down. If your tech is not Taylor trained, and experienced, I would find a new one for this job.

You can, of course, ship it to Taylor Repair in El Cajon, and get it done perfectly. Of course the shipping may be more than you want to pay, on the other hand it will be done right for sure!

Yes, the fretboard extension IS glued to the top, but a very experienced Taylor Tech can sometimes finesse the reset without having to unglue/reglue.

This is still much less time consuming than a traditional dovetail reset.

I have had a LOT of these “Classic Taylors”. Starting in 1994! And a few did receive neck sets. No biggie for the folks at Taylor…

They are a bit lighter than the newer models in construction and have the slim necks that put Taylor on the map.

Good luck in your quest.

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-02-2022, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

I actually just sold a '97 410. That guitar still has a long way to go before it will need a neck re-set.
Old 03-02-2022, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proclaimer888 View Post
So, I am looking at some "mature" Taylors for purchase as I love the build traits from the 90s. My question is in regards to the neck and potential neck resets as these guitars do not incorporate the new NT neck system. I guess my question could pertain to any Taylors prior to the NT neck addition. Is it less of an event to reset a Mature Taylor neck? Anyone had a reset done?? How are the Mature Taylor necks holding up?? I am going to bet that they are great without many issues but just want some feedback from my guitar friends.
Sent pm to you
Old 03-03-2022, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

Thanks AGF'rs......you never disappoint. Got the info needed. As I suspected, a neck adjustment, if necessary, is not that big of a deal.
I am a fan of the 90s Taylors for some reason. Will soon be adding a few to my collection with my enlightenment.
Play on!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion