The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2009, 01:08 AM

Default Another Silvercreek owner - WOWED!!!

The reviewers and the interwebs did not lie: for the price I haven't played anything else that can beat this.

I just got a D-160 and boy am I impressed.

This beats the pants off of my old Tak (EF340SC).

No joke.

I actually like the sound of this better than my (now departed) Larrivee DV-10.

Yes. I said it.

As others have said, it is definitely not the highest quality guitar around but the tuners on mine are pretty solid (maybe they improved them?). Besides that, the action is a bit high (good because you can adjust it if you want), the sound doesn't have the best balance, and you can still detect some of that cheapo guitary sound but to be honest, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THESE. Everytime I'm in a guitar shop and play anything less than a $1.5K guitar they all sound like garbage. This guitar amazes me.

I am still jonesing for a Santa Cruz D/PW but this definitely hits the spot for me. And this is coming from someone that cringes at playing "beginner" guitars.

The point of this thread is:

If you have no $$$ but still want a sweet guitar, GET ONE OF THESE. This is the answer to all the "What is the best guitar for less than $500" threads.

It is definitely not a custom guitar killer. But I'm still amazed at how this little guitar sounds so good, for so little $$$!!!

On sale right now at MF. Cases on sale too! It's basically the same deal they had before... just organized differently. Guitar + Case for xxxxxxxxxxxxxx bones. Can't go wrong! JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON TODAY!

Last edited by rlouie; 06-27-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: no price discussion
Old 06-27-2009, 06:20 AM

+1,000,000

As I've stated previously, my T160 is a great guitar. I love it more everytime I pick it up.

Another plus, I just put a sound port in mine. This is something I never would have had the nerve to attempt on an "expensive" guitar. (I still sweated over that first cut!)

It really makes a difference from the players perspective.

'08 Silver Creek T-160
'81 Yairi Dred
'??Alvarez Classical
'87 Strat Plus
'09 Dragonfire Kit Tele
'05 Ibanez Gio
Old 06-27-2009, 08:47 AM

They're not generally available in the UK but I saw and heard one last month and it was lovely - bright and ringing and the case included a hygrometer -all for about £200 (about $300) I think the guy said. Chinese made I understand.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 AM

scotchtape, How is the bass response in this model? I'm sure it's no where near "Martinesque," but is it at least discernable?
Old 06-27-2009, 09:08 AM

I also have the D-160. I like the bass response. I haven't played a Martin since I bought it, so I can't honestly compare (I'm at a point where I only play guitars I can afford. That means the only really nice guitar I play is my father's Dove. At least that one I have an open invitation to play. I bring the grandkids over, Pop forgets about the guitar. ) If I can make a suggestion, though. I played it with lights for about 9 months and thought it sounded good for a cheaper import. Then on a lark I tried mediums on it. I think that made a big difference. My fingers weren't overly happy with me at first, but I think that made it sound even nicer.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:45 PM

I can't help chiming in here. I've had a D160 and a D170 for about a year now, and I love them both.

Yeah, they are kinda cheap, and they need some work right out of the box, but they are worth it, IMHO.

I call them my "poor man's Martins". They'll definitely do until I can save my pennies for that HD-28.

I would make a word of warning to potential buyers; Look the guitar over very carefully when you get it. I've seen a couple that had major flaws like underset necks, loose bridges, etc. If you get a total dud like that, you'll want to send it back.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM

To be honest haven't played too many Martins, and I've never owned one.

Haven't had an acoustic all year since I moved so I'm not the best person to ask for comparisons

But I have owned both terrible sounding and great sounding guitars and while this is by no means AMAZING, it's freaking amazing for the price. I really do need to set it up but that goes for most many cheaper guitars out of the box.

I haven't even really looked over the build quality because... well when you spend this little money do you really care? So far everything looks good and the tuners are way better than I expected. They feel quite smooth. Intonation is a bit off towards the 12th fret (I've played WAAAAAAY worse acoustics, my electrics have the earvana and intonated with my Peterson... I'm a bit fickle about intonation...) but nothing that will want to make you stab your ears with an ice pick.

One thing I'm not sure about is the "balance" of the tones, it's like a really great guitar trapped in a cheap guitar's body

It works great and I don't need to worry about it, what else can you ask for!!!
Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Maybe I'll pick one up somewhere if I find one at a good price. It would be kinda neat as we have a "Silver Creek" that meanders all over the area where I live.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:53 AM

Whoa!

Just found a D-160 at Music 123 for a ridiculously low price.

...with all solid woods. Spruce and Mahogany.

I may pick one up! I'm thinking about it.

http://www.music123.com/Silver-Creek...e=ZWWRWXGB&o=5
Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM

mine is very "Martinesque." I've owned a few Martins and this feels very much in the family. I would guess they are not terribly consistent but the one I got, after a few touch-ups, is the equal of many D18's I've played. It certainly doesn't compare to the best of the D18's but it also cost about 20% of the cost...

I did swap the tuners, lower the action, and add pickups... and it turns into a very nice gigging guitar that I don't need to worry about. I'm still experimenting with strings.

The one thing I don't like is the neck shape... it is a narrow fingerboard with a V shape. I don't like either the narrow fingerboard or the V. I get cramps when I play it too long or hard. I find myself even thinking about sanding down the back of the neck to make it more round. I may end up doing that.
that's me on guitar
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D28guy View Post
Whoa!

Just found a D-160 at Music 123 for a ridiculously low price.

...with all solid woods. Spruce and Mahogany.

I may pick one up! I'm thinking about it.

http://www.music123.com/Silver-Creek...e=ZWWRWXGB&o=5

Half a Benji less @ Musicians Friend!

You can get the case for the difference in price!

'08 Silver Creek T-160
'81 Yairi Dred
'??Alvarez Classical
'87 Strat Plus
'09 Dragonfire Kit Tele
'05 Ibanez Gio

Last edited by 8up; 06-29-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM

Not a fan of V-necks either but oh well
Seriously, you probably spend more on your car in one month than on this guitar

At this point I'm much too lazy to set up my acoustic... I'll sand down the bridge and nut slots at my first string change.

I already have to set up my new strat! Just waiting for some parts to come in...

I might even get the rosewood version... haha
Old 08-16-2009, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Check out the T-160 @ today's Stupid Deal. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM

I ordered the T170 stupid deal of the day a couple of days ago. I should have it midweek.

The whole point of Christmas is Easter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion