The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2015, 03:52 AM

Default Noob Learning: Not very musically inclined -- but that's ok

I know lots of people here "love" music, not just acoustic guitars. When I go and see live music and speak to band members, I can tell they're different from me.

I'm more of your average music person. I listen to my tunes in the car on the way to work, or when I'm out running errands. If I go for a walk in the morning I'll listen to tunes. I may listen at home, but often doing other things. Haven't grown up studying music, or playing instruments...just getting into guitar now in my 40's.

So for me, I approach guitar with a few interests: a) I want to strum and pick those chords to make nice harmonies and get that warm feeling inside; b) I want to learn music, to a degree, because I like to learn new things; c) and I want to, for myself, play some familiar riffs from songs I've loved for years...when I learn these things I get that nice sense of accomplishment.

I don't want to perform for others. I don't even like singing, in general or while playing my guitar.

Anyway, just wanted to share this viewpoint and see if some of the other folks here have a similar interest, but in general just to hear about others' approaches to learning, reasons for playing the guitar--what gets you warm and fuzzy
Old 05-02-2015, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonie View Post
I know lots of people here "love" music, not just acoustic guitars. When I go and see live music and speak to band members, I can tell they're different from me.

I'm more of your average music person. I listen to my tunes in the car on the way to work, or when I'm out running errands. If I go for a walk in the morning I'll listen to tunes. I may listen at home, but often doing other things. Haven't grown up studying music, or playing instruments...just getting into guitar now in my 40's.

So for me, I approach guitar with a few interests: a) I want to strum and pick those chords to make nice harmonies and get that warm feeling inside; b) I want to learn music, to a degree, because I like to learn new things; c) and I want to, for myself, play some familiar riffs from songs I've loved for years...when I learn these things I get that nice sense of accomplishment.

I don't want to perform for others. I don't even like singing, in general or while playing my guitar.

Anyway, just wanted to share this viewpoint and see if some of the other folks here have a similar interest, but in general just to hear about others' approaches to learning, reasons for playing the guitar--what gets you warm and fuzzy
Firstly you are joining a VERY large club...IMHO 9 out of ten people that get into playing music do so for their very own enjoyment and maybe their immediate family's enjoyment, when they get somewhat proficient at it. That being said once you start and get a few tunes under your belt you will most likely find yourself humming/singing along and that tends to feed on itself. relax and have fun with it. The internet has literately thousands of sites (Youetube is your friend here) that will help you at what ever level you're at at any given time and many,many of those 'teachers' don't ask for anything more than a 'like at the conclusion of their offering. Just my 2cts.

Last edited by Mcrafty1; 05-02-2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: still can't spell
Old 05-02-2015, 04:15 AM

Take it organically for sure. There is nothing wrong with just strumming a few chords if that's all you want out of it. Once you're at that level you may start looking for other things to keep it fresh.

I'm very much a believer of letting your interests lead you. Unless your doing it professionally, then you have to approach it from a "how am I going to pay the rent?" perspective.
Old 05-02-2015, 04:57 AM

Default mountains

For some it is a little like climbing mountains. You see ahead of you what appears to be the summit, so you make a greater effort than you planned on (originally a walk in the woods) so you can get the view. You get there, and it's nice, but there is another summit a little further ahead. I'll bet the view from there is even better! So you make the extra effort and reach it. And, yes, it's better. But what's that I see? Another summit and it's not too far.....

You set reasonable goals, reach them, and see there are other goals that are now reachable, and so on - getting better with each summit and also realizing how much better you could be.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:09 AM

You may have a tough time. Most people who play do so because they, at some point, developed a passion for it that just had to be satisfied. Casual listening was not enough, just had to be able to . They probably saw and heard a guitar player along the way and were struck by the "I have to do that" feeling.

Learning a guitar is hard, especially in the beginning when you really think this might never happen. Your fingers hurt, you sound bad, everybody telling you to pipe down with the racket. Its the desire that keeps you going through this part and why its almost more a calling than a pastime.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:21 AM

Smile

I was like you Noonie. Ever since I was young I have always had music nearby. As a teenager I got my first decent stereo and eventually a collection of a few hundred albums. Would get together with friends just to listen to new groups and albums. I've spent a small fortune over my lifetime going to concerts. For decades I was envious of the guitar players. I always wished I could just pick up a guitar and make music with it. But, although I loved listening I convinced myself I had zero aptitude for learning any instrument and I certainly didn't like my singing voice. But always.....that nagging feeling of wanting to play.

Fast forward to age 54 (last year). A couple of similar aged friends, started guitar within the last couple years. Guys that I never saw having the ability to play either. But hey! They actually sounded not bad. They could strum and carry a tune. So that nagging feeling of mine got stronger. I figured if they could do it, maybe I could to. Without telling anyone (cause I was afraid of failure I guess) I found a great used Seagull guitar and justinguitar.com to learn from. I'm now halfway thru his beginner course and I am having an absolute blast! I've learned I do have the aptitude after all. I'll never get up on stage anywhere but I'm more than happy to just play for myself, my wife and a few close friends. I now have the passion and I plan to play as long as I live.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 05-02-2015, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You may have a tough time. Most people who play do so because they, at some point, developed a passion for it that just had to be satisfied. Casual listening was not enough, just had to be able to . They probably saw and heard a guitar player along the way and were struck by the "I have to do that" feeling.

Learning a guitar is hard, especially in the beginning when you really think this might never happen. Your fingers hurt, you sound bad, everybody telling you to pipe down with the racket. Its the desire that keeps you going through this part and why its almost more a calling than a pastime.
Okay, I usually agree with HHP's posts. I agree with the last part of the first paragraph and most of the second. I remember vividly being 18 watching Jimmy Page in the movie of The Song Remains the Same. If it wasn't the solo in Since I've Been Loving You, it was the overall playing in No Quarter - That was my "I HAVE to do that moment."

But there is another side less daunting.

Start with the basic major chord forms. There are really three G, C, E. A is a variation on E, and D a variation on C. You can then learn to alter them to make them minor, sevenths, major sevenths, 9ths etc... If you develop a blood thirst for understanding chords, find a copy of Ted Green's book Chord Chemistry. Ignore everything (for now) but MEMORIZE the chord formula page.

Learn the basic major scale - You know Do, Ray, Fah, So, la, te, do. Not for soloing because you state that you want to strum. Rather this will help you A) understand chord structure and b) help you develop a sense for passing tones which makes basic strumming more interesting at times.

Then pick simple songs you know from your youth that you love and start with "campfire" versions. Have fun, play a lot. You have already expressed the essence of musicality with "want to."

Stay the course, play a lot, have fun. You will surprise yourself when you look back in a few years. Go to every BBQ, house party or Jam session you can and play - but be a sponge. Try to play along with CDs. For what you describe you need most of all - seriously - to develop your ear.

Good Luck.

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-02-2015, 05:52 AM

Welcome. My one piece of advice is to use a metronome to practice. Even a 3-chord king needs to find the groove.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:39 PM

Play as much as possible and avoid self doubt. Music is just like anything else, you get better with practice. And you can practice other songs and still improve on the songs that you haven't been playing simply because your skill has improved.
'99 HD28V
'99 Gibson WM-00
'75 Takamine "guild" Jumbo
'46 Harmony Silvertone H700
'12 GS-Mini
'?? Epiphone Dr-212
CSU Rams
Old 05-04-2015, 02:54 AM

Firstly welcome to a new dimension in your world of music.

From the way you describe yourself, treat this as all part of your musical journey. There no rush, there's no deadlines - just do what you want when you want and your interest will develop (or wane) as it will. Only you can decide on how far you go and how quickly.

The good thing is you don't need much effort to get started with a few chords - then let it take its own course, guided by you, your available time, other interests and enthusiasm. It's your choice you can make it your life - or as much of a part of your life as you desire. Music is like life, avoid being a slave to anything.

As far as warm and fuzzyness is concerned, what makes me warm and fuzzy (well you did ask) is the pleasure I get from hearing a song and thinking "I can do that" then sitting down for a while, and working on it.

After a while I look back, reflect and declare. "Hey I can do something now that I couldn't do when I woke up today"!

Finally I have to comment on with what you say about band members you speak to. In my view the only difference between you and them is your different position on your musical journeys and like most groups or activities we sometime lapse into our own lingo. Nothing pleases me more than having someone in the audience coming up to me and having a chat after the show, so please don't stop.

Best of luck.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:30 AM

I started playing at 52 and two years later my instructor is inviting me to play his open mike Fridays at noon. Has a small stage and 10 to 15 people usually stop to listen and eat the lunch they bring.
When I started could not even hear the beat in a song!
I practice one hour five times a week and can even do some bar cords.
Play what you enjoy and find a good instructor. The on line stuff is goo but it sure is much better to have a teacher see what you are doing wrong and correct issues so they become bad habits.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:14 AM

Golden Rule No. 1; don't make learning to play the guitar a chore. Have fun with it. There are some really good resources out there and I would recommend David Mead's '10 Minute Guitar Workout' as a great place to begin.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Minute-Acous.../ref=pd_cp_b_3

Last edited by AndrewG; 05-04-2015 at 04:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 AM

I agree with the others that IMO playing guitar is a passion. You either have it or you don't. But if you have it, it will be insatiable.
You may eventually hit the limits of ability and talent. But you'll never quit playing and trying to progress. It's something you do because you want to. There's music in you that wants to get out.
To me the key has always been not so much in training my hands & fingers to do what's required. But in UNDERSTANDING what's required. Whenever you try to learn something new, look at it in clinical sense 1st. Try to develop and understanding of what you need to do. Then train yourself to do it.
The hands/fingers part is like a baby learning to feed himself. It's developing "muscle memory". At 1st the baby misses his mouth w/the spoon and gets food all over himself. But eventually through practice and repetition feeding himself becomes something he does very efficiently without conscious effort.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion