The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 04:11 PM

Default Buffing a Guild D-20 to gloss?

Hey AGF!

I’ve owned my Guild D-20 for a few years now, and I’ve always pondered on buffing the satin nitro to a gloss. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the topic, but it’s been difficult to try and formulate a game plan with it. I’m certain my D-20 has a satin nitro finish because I owned an F40 STD from the year prior and it had more of an open pore finish.

I know it’s unlikely to get it down to a true mirror gloss - but I’d be happy with a semi-gloss at least. My Guild has already been pretty buffed in from where I’ve played it, I’m just looking to make it more whole.

What would be y’all’s suggestions? I’ll post future results here too. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2024, 04:27 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

If you're serious, just unstring it, hit it with some 1000 grit sand paper just to rough the surface a bit, tape off the stuff you don't wanna gloss, and hit it with some Rustoleum Clear Coat (2K)... thin coat... let dry... thin coat... let dry... repeat until you like it.

Once you let it cure, hit it with some high grit sandpaper, or better yet, wet sand, then buff it out with some Meguiars Ultimate...

You should have a mirror finish, or close to it.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:43 PM

Since you're obviously not going to overspray it.........

I've glossed a few guitars and always to a mirror finish. I use Meguiar’s ScratchX. You can use a polishing pad or microfibre. The key is patience. Like spit-shining boots, do a little bit at a time and blend your work. Some will say not to use ScatchX but neither I, nor anyone I know have had an issue by using it. You, of course, will choose.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post

I've glossed a few guitars and always to a mirror finish. I use Meguiar’s ScratchX. You can use a polishing pad or microfibre. The key is patience. Like spit-shining boots, do a little bit at a time and blend your work. Some will say not to use ScatchX but neither I, nor anyone I know have had an issue by using it. You, of course, will choose.

Yeah I would not spray that guitar. I've used Scratch X as well with no issues but only to polish up an already glossy guitar.
Old 04-17-2024, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I used Mequiar’s on my Larrivee OM-40R when my armed polished a spot on the lower bout. So I polished the whole guitar. It looks good, but not as good as if had been originally a gloss finish.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:19 PM

Has anyone ever buffed out a satin guitar to gloss and then wanted to revert back to satin? This is where I find myself with my Martin 00015E-C.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post

Yeah…. I think in my instance, spraying on more lacquer is more than what I envisioned. I’ll try this method out first. I do wonder, should I start with grade 0000 steel wool before I put on the scratch X? Or should I be OK with just the latter?
Old 04-17-2024, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedCaboose View Post
Yeah…. I think in my instance, spraying on more lacquer is more than what I envisioned. I’ll try this method out first. I do wonder, should I start with grade 0000 steel wool before I put on the scratch X? Or should I be OK with just the latter?
Another option is Virtuoso Polish and elbow grease. I did part of my 000-40R with Virtuoso and part with Mequiar’s. I briefly tried an orbital with a soft cloth buffing pad like you would use on a car, but I was scared to burn through the thin top coat. Satin finishes have lacquer, just not a lot. At least the Larrivee Satin does.
Old 04-17-2024, 09:36 PM

I used this method to finish the cedar soundboard on my 1932 arch top acoustic..

hand rubbing with pumice & rottenstone powders:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...QCWqfQIL7Y9DHq
Old 04-18-2024, 09:36 AM

I polished my Larrivee Forum III several years ago with Virtuoso polish and it still has a warm, soft glow that is very satisfactory. The key, as I recall, was patience and preparation.
Old 04-18-2024, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I try to avoid changing finishes. Polishing actually removes microlayers, or as others have suggested, you can build up new layers (overspray) then polish that down. Its a huge investment of time, and rarely approaches the factory finish
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-19-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I try to avoid changing finishes. Polishing actually removes microlayers, or as others have suggested, you can build up new layers (overspray) then polish that down. Its a huge investment of time, and rarely approaches the factory finish
I agree.

My opinions: Results are permanent. Time's better spent playing.
Old 04-19-2024, 08:33 PM

Quote:
If your guitar has a pickup, don't use steel wool. Its dust can drift into the socket or wiring and cause a short. I learned it the hard way so you don't have to.

Fine sandpaper like automotive stores sell is safer. Soaking it first is a good idea. A good buffing polish is 3M Machine Polish.

Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 04-19-2024 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey AGF!

I know it’s unlikely to get it down to a true mirror gloss - but I’d be happy with a semi-gloss at least. My Guild has already been pretty buffed in from where I’ve played it, I’m just looking to make it more whole.
I would be curious how it turns out. I too have a D-20. I play the heck out of it and it is polished where my arm goes over and on the back where it rubs against my shirt. I thought about doing just what you are thinking of at one time, but then I decided I liked the well played look better than the "looks like someone tried to polish it" look. So if you do it, post some pictures.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-20-2024, 08:03 AM

I buffed my Epiphone Masterbilt EF500RAN out many years ago using McGuire's. Came out looking very nice. DON"T use steel wool!

Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
finish, guild, polish