The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2008, 08:41 PM

cant go wrong with anything D or HD - 28 or 35
martins have got beautiful sound especially in the low end

i notice you also have a thread asking about best taylor strummer in the taylor section...
since i don't want to post two posts, for that i'd suggest some sort of GS (8 or 6?) or maybe an 810 or 610 or jumbos of those guitars ( x15)
Old 06-30-2008, 09:04 PM

I played everything in the Martin "special" room at the factory when I was there in April - and I must admit the Vintage Dred model (of course, I can't remember WHICH vintage it was D-18V or D-28V) blew the other instruments in the room away.

However, you really should go to a great music store and play everything - in and out of your price range. You might be surprised. Certainly, Ken Hodges (AGF sponsor) makes a wonderful dred and there are others out there, too!!

Open your ears and don't limit yourself!!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:40 PM

Best two strummers I've played lately were my own D-28 Mad Marquis and the Gibson Advanced Jumbo. I also like the D-18GE, particularly the Amberburst ones, but greatly prefer the sound of rosewood, particularly for a strumming vocalist like myself. The Taylor GS8 is in the conversation as well, but doesn't quite do what the upscale Martins and the AJ does, at least not for my ears. For you budget though, I'd go with a HD-28V and get a custom Adi top (Gruhn keeps these in stock). I'd put it up against just about any new guitar that doesn't have Mad RW or Braz. The D-35s are sweet as well, but I just don't dig that 3-piece back

D-18 GE Amberburst | D-28 MM | HD-16 RLSH | D-35 MP | Gibson AJ
Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 PM

As has been said...The Martin Dred!
Taylor 414ce
TheRandomSchmooze.com - Domain Names For Sale
Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Garyyoung,

I agree with the suggestions regarding Martin dreadnoughts. I have used a Martin D-35 for 40 years to play a combination of strumming and fingerstyle with good results, at least from my perspective. In recent years I acquired a Gibson Advanced Jumbo that is also a great guitar for strummming. I think it might sound even better than the D-35 for pure flat-picking. This particular AJ has a Red Spruce (Adi) top, so it has a very full sound. Most AJ's have Sitka spruce tops, which is a little mellower (and less expensive) but still a great sound.

The suggestion of getting into a room full of great guitars and finding out what you like is right on the money. Sometimes you think you want one thing until you compare it with others and suddenly you can be on a completely different track.

Thanks, Glenn
Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Best Martin for strumming? A Collings D1.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Best Martin for strumming? A Collings D1.
LOL!

I'm pretty fond of the Larrivee L shape, specifically the L-05. I prefer mahogany over rosewood almost exclusively.

Ed
Old 07-01-2008, 06:59 PM

+1 on the D or HD, 28 or 35 series. My fave is the HD-35.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 PM

I have had all the Martin dreds and for me the J-40 beats them all. It is a more agressive strummer than a D-35 but you can finger pick it like a OM. It is the best of all worlds. Expensive but well worth it. More people should try one. I think they would be surprised.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:05 AM

The best guitar for strumming is the guitar you pick up an play and think "This guitar is perfect for strumming."

In the Martin line check out the

000 -- most people think of these as picking boxes but the sound great strummed. Louder than you might think, too

The dread is the obvious choice. Mahoganey will cut through the mix a bit more. Rosewood will growl. There are dreads in every price range. Consider an 11/16th neck. Might be more conducive to strumming -- might not. Anyway, just know the neck width at the nut varies on models as does the profile or shape of the neck

The 0000 or M is a killer guitar. Has the attributes of a dread in terms of punch, but more balance -- meaning the tone from each string is a bit more even, unlike a dread, that takes some experience to play with balance.

Be sure to play the OM's. It might be the most versatile Martin shape out there. The OM-28v might be the perfect guitar.

The only Martin body style that may be more versatile than the OM is the J. Shape of the M with the depth of the dread.

The 00 and 0 srtrum well, a bit of a boxier closed down blues kind of tone, for me, but may be the perfect strummer for you.

After you've played all the Martins you can move one to
Gibson,
Larrivee,
Taylor,
Collings
Huss and Dlton,
Godall,
Tacoma,
SCGC

Then again, you could just order a Martin HD-28 from Maury's Music and be done with it

max
Old 07-02-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger1964 View Post
I'm a rosewood/spruce dread fan. For me it came down to the HD-28 and HD-35. The HD-35 was a little too much, the HD-28 was perfect. I like the sound of the scalloped bracing and the low profile neck fits my hand better than the mod v.

Oh and my other guitar is an 810ce and I strum the bejeebers out of that too. I'm one of those that loves both Taylor and Martin sounds. "Vive la difference!"

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 07-02-2008, 07:56 AM

I think the D-35 is one of my favorite Martins. I like the 18 series guitar a lot, but a good D-35 really knocks me off of the chair.
I also like Martin's 000-15, which strum like a champ and are a deal.
Otherwise, the Gibson AJ kind of reminds me of a Martin in some of its tone and they are a great player.
If you have the scratch, make sure you check out a Santa Cruz OM/PW or D/PW--both are awesome strummers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion