The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2024, 01:19 AM

Default Faded 50s J45 compared to Original

Howdy,

Looking for opinions from faded 50s J-45 owners/testers. I know there are a few here as I've read some good posts about them.

I'm keen on the faded 50s for the cheaper price tag, chunkier neck, idea that thinner nitro might help guitar resonate more. I don't mind the lighter sunburst,

I haven't had a chance to try the faded against 50s original and the stock standard but plan to soon.

From watching youtube videos, the faded models sound a bit tinny, bright, rattly/buzzy, even weaker compared to the 50s original. Is this true in real life or is it just the heavy handed strummers on youtube, or maybe old/new strings, mic placement, need to be played in?

Thanks for reading, love to hear your thoughts,

Gus

Last edited by Gus37; 04-19-2024 at 01:30 AM. Reason: to say i also like the chunky neck spec.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:35 AM
Charter Member

I haven’t played a Faded, but I’d go for one now if I was buying a J-45. They look great. I don’t buy into the notion that they sound different, but if they do, most of tone is in the fingers (or pick, if that’s your thing).

Note that the glossy 50s J-45 Original has the same chunky (“Round”) neck as the Faded.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-19-2024, 02:41 AM

Here's a couple of videos from the same guitar store to compare.

Gibson 50's J-45 Original Vintage Sunburst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sysJakvKAPI

Gibson J-45 50's Faded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHQxkw2ZHYk

I'm thinking the extra finish on the original might be mellowing out the mids a bit.
Old 04-19-2024, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
I haven’t played a Faded, but I’d go for one now if I was buying a J-45. They look great. I don’t buy into the notion that they sound different, but if they do, most of tone is in the fingers (or pick, if that’s your thing).

Note that the glossy 50s J-45 Original has the same chunky (“Round”) neck as the Faded.
They do look great, but I also love the vintage sunburst too, like I see you have.

I agree a lot of the sound comes from the player and thanks, I did notice both had the round neck.

It's going to be a tough choice!
Old 04-19-2024, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus37 View Post
They do look great, but I also love the vintage sunburst too, like I see you have.

I agree a lot of the sound comes from the player and thanks, I did notice both had the round neck.

It's going to be a tough choice!
Funny thing, but when I set out to get a J-45, what I really wanted was a J-50. At that time, natural finish meant acoustic guitar to me. But there was a major shortage of J-50s around — fortunately, it turns out, because I’ve grown to love the Gibson burst. In its own way, the Faded burst looks just as beautiful to me.

Have fun shopping.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-19-2024, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

I have not compared the J45 versions, but I have compared the Faded Hummingbird to the regular Hummingbird. I also compared it to the Sustainable series Hummingbird. Each one does sound slightly different. Tone is subjective and what I hear may vary from you. I thought they all sounded good, but the Faded sounded a little more open to me. Maybe a little more direct? I wouldn't say brash, but maybe a bit louder. The regular Hummingbird was a bit more refined, but not necessarily better per se. I know this doesn't help a lot.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Funny thing, but when I set out to get a J-45, what I really wanted was a J-50. At that time, natural finish meant acoustic guitar to me. But there was a major shortage of J-50s around — fortunately, it turns out, because I’ve grown to love the Gibson burst. In its own way, the Faded burst looks just as beautiful to me.

Have fun shopping.
I'm a fan of natural finishes too. I'd love a spruce/rosewood Martin one day.

The faded burst is lovely, the more I look at it the more I like it.

What I don't like as much is the matte headstock.

If the logo is silkscreened under the lacquer, if there is any, I'd be able to get a nice shine with some polishing compound and a rag. I'd hate to take the logo off or burn through the nitro.
Old 04-19-2024, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have not compared the J45 versions, but I have compared the Faded Hummingbird to the regular Hummingbird. I also compared it to the Sustainable series Hummingbird. Each one does sound slightly different. Tone is subjective and what I hear may vary from you. I thought they all sounded good, but the Faded sounded a little more open to me. Maybe a little more direct? I wouldn't say brash, but maybe a bit louder. The regular Hummingbird was a bit more refined, but not necessarily better per se. I know this doesn't help a lot.
Thanks BoneDigger, it does help. If it sounds a bit woody like Bob Dylan's old worn J-50 on his first album, I might like it.

But I think there is something in the refined, warm rounded mids I'm hearing in the full lacquered versions.

I am looking for it to record well in a band mix and also be a good for accompanying vocals.

Appreciate everyones thoughts, thanks.
Old 04-20-2024, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Gus, you said you planned to play the individual Gibsons you’re thinking of buying and I recommend you do that. Every Gibson is an individual and it took me years to realize this. I bought a NOS Hummingbird Faded that sat in a shop for a year, likely because it had dead strings. But when I played it, I detected something in the voice that I really liked, so I had the shop put fresh strings on it and suddenly it became the awesome guitar I suspected it was.

It destroyed 2 Murphy Lab Hummingbirds that I also played, and can hang with any of the other more expensive guitars in my collection.

Price point or series has no bearing when it comes to Gibson. You need to play them to know for sure.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 04-21-2024, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Gus, you said you planned to play the individual Gibsons you’re thinking of buying and I recommend you do that. Every Gibson is an individual and it took me years to realize this. I bought a NOS Hummingbird Faded that sat in a shop for a year, likely because it had dead strings. But when I played it, I detected something in the voice that I really liked, so I had the shop put fresh strings on it and suddenly it became the awesome guitar I suspected it was.

It destroyed 2 Murphy Lab Hummingbirds that I also played, and can hang with any of the other more expensive guitars in my collection.

Price point or series has no bearing when it comes to Gibson. You need to play them to know for sure.
Thanks brencat, amazing how much strings have to do with it. Sounds like you got onto a winner with your Hummingbird.

After some more thought my heart's pretty set on the 50's original J-45 in vintage sunburst. I don't think I'd be truly happy unless I got the full gloss job.

My current gigging guitar is a 1999 Martin 000-15 - which has been amazing - but I wanted something with a little bit more oomph, and a thicker neck.

There are at least 2 50's J-45s I can try in the city, so I will go soon and see what they're like.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion