The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2023, 05:23 PM

Default Waterloo owners: how have yours changed over time?

Per the title, I own a very very early Waterloo (#089) that is a WL-14 X-TR. The guy I bought it from in Austin told me the some of the very early ones had adi tops. He also said they were built a little “too nice” and had to be scaled back to meet the price point, but I think that’s probably just someone trying to make a sale…

Anyways, for the first couple of years I had this guitar I really never ever bonded with it. I loved the feel of everything but I couldn’t understand the hype around the sound. To me it was a little boxy and not as dynamic as your standard Martin of a similar size. Other waterloos I played in stores sounded the same way. Yet for years I’ve never been able to let it go, something told me to keep it.

Over the past year or so I started really playing it more and I’ve been just blown away at what it sounds like now. It’s easily the best sounding guitar I’ve owned. Everything has become so responsive and sweet sounding with a distinctive Collings voice. My favorite feature is how quickly the notes bloom before a dry, perfectly woody decay. It’s completely changed in a way no guitar I’ve owned before has.

So I’m curious, what do other Waterloo owners find with a bit more time?
Old 12-29-2023, 05:38 PM

Bill showed that if a L-00 style is built well out of good materials, with great intonation and playability, it is meant to get better as it breaks in.

My 2, X and ladder, are just sensational for fingerpicking! All kinds of music! Lots of space!

I have said before - if the WL-14s were available years earlier, I doubt I would have bought some silly guitars while searching for, well, a playable L-00 for fingerpicking 30s roots music! With the specs, I imagine playing pick style music would be tricky, but fingerpickers rejoice!

Err, we had some awful humid days not long ago and the ladder didn’t like it - I thought my playing had tanked...but then the humidity left and now, I am back! Ladder forgiven!

Oh yeah, the ladder had a pro setup a few years back but the X is exactly as set up in the factory still! Perfect! They need nothing.

Thanks again, Bill and friends!

BluesKing777.
Old 12-29-2023, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

I have a WL-14 LTR and a WL-S Deluxe, but rarely play them. I hang onto them mainly because left-handed Waterloos are pretty rare.
Old 12-29-2023, 08:47 PM

I have WL-12 #1316, and it has completely contradicted everything I thought about maple-bodied guitars.

I feel like its sustain has increased since I got it, and for a supposed "blues box," I'm astounded by its versatility as a fingerstyle instrument. I keep it in open-D most of the time, and I can just get lost in it for hours.

Like yours, mine is hands-down the best-sounding and best-playing guitar I've ever owned.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

I've played the poop out of mine over the years. I can't say that they have changed. I know my ears have a time or two. I have had two of the same models at different times and I am impressed by the consistency.

My experience with the looks of the builds is that in the beginning the insides were messier than the insides have been after the initial Waterloo sells pitches and they started selling. They are pretty clean inside. The initial guitars bridge plates were not sanded on the side that wasn't glued to the guitar. It was an issue when installing K & K mini pickups. They quickly changed that. They all sounded the same though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

Last edited by Mr. Jelly; 12-30-2023 at 08:22 AM.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)
Default 2018 WL-S TR

I have a 2018 WL-S TR (truss rod). It gets regular play, always running John Pearse PB lights. I *think* it has an adi top based on appearance. Collings would only tell me "it's either sitka or adi".

It was slightly "bass shy" as a youngster. The low G in particular was a bit soft against the rest of the strings. Over the years the bass has developed and has come into good balance. The overall tone has become a bit more complex, but it still retains its loud, snappy-punchy bluesy character.

It's a great guitar IMO...love it!

I can tell you all I know, the where to go,
the what to do

You can try to run but you can't
hide from what's inside of you
Old 12-30-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post

It was slightly "bass shy" as a youngster. The low G in particular was a bit soft against the rest of the strings. Over the years the bass has developed and has come into good balance. The overall tone has become a bit more complex, but it still retains its loud, snappy-punchy bluesy character.
I imagine that the bass register is the hardest thing to capture in these modern 30’s recreations and would feel the 12-fret boxes might come closer. Also, I wonder how much players eventually move toward the sweet spot of what the guitar offers and does not offer. Technique is pretty dang important moving from, say, a dreadnaught to an L-0, L-1, L-00 size, and the player has to assimilate.
Old 12-30-2023, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I have a WL14 LTR #340 and the biggest change I’ve seen is the resale price.

Other than that, it’s still got that sweet tone it had when I bought it, maybe it sounds better, I can’t tell as my Time Machine is not working. I love it. It is not now nor has never wanted for bass response.

Anyhoo, definitely not one of the ones that were made “to clean.” Lots of squeezey glue on the inside and the back was not sanded to be flush with the body in two spots …just as Bill intended! I guess that makes it extra special.

Oh, and it’s black. That does make it sound better. Eat that bursties.
Old 12-31-2023, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

FWIW

The early guitars inside label does not have a picture of Bill Collings on them.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-31-2023, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I bought my WL-12 used from a dealer in 2020 and I believe it is a 2015 build. From day #1 of my ownership it has been a wonderfully loud and responsive instrument. No opening up needed at that point and I'm guessing that it got enough play in the 5 years before I bought it to change a bit. The serial # is in the low 2000's and this was before Bill had passed. I guess I'm not really helping the OP because I can't tell you if it opened up or it was a beast the day it left the factory. It's a beast now and that's what counts to me. Finally, I'll repeat what Monte Cristo mentions, this guitar defies what some say about maple guitars, especially small bodied designs. It's low end won't frighten a good D-28 but it's balanced, loud and sweet.

Last edited by 29er; 12-31-2023 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Clarify language
Old 12-31-2023, 04:30 PM

Default wl14

I have serial number 44 WL14 made in 2014, and it sounds great now. I had professionally set up a few years ago and it plays beautifully. Never had any issues with carbon rod neck. The restoration machine heads were pretty stiff to start with, but they've gotten better with use. I would never let this guitar go.
Old 12-31-2023, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

WL12 1151, bought new in November 2016.

Went top buy a Gibson l-oo . They had five or six. Something wrong or lacking - decided it wasn't to be.

Prepared to go then spotted a batch of rather loud sunbursts in the corner.

"What are they?"
"They are Waterloos, by Collings"
"Is that a 12 fretter there?"
"Yes, it is, you should try it!"

I did, a deal was struck, I took it home. ....... didn't like it so much.

Hung it on the wall in my little office where it listened to talk radio through a '70s stereo system for a few months while I had some medical treatment.

(Hanging a guitar in my office is the best way to open up a guitar that I know).

After some time I took it down and it sounded .... good!

It is still with me.

Old 12-31-2023, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

I have WL-12 #1817 purchased new. I had zero intention of buying a guitar, but my dog was getting chemotherapy down the street so I had an hour or two to waste. I told the owner, I was just looking and after about 50 minutes he just said, you’ve picked up almost every acoustic in the store, but you’ve been on that one for 30 minutes. Yep, it went home with me. It hangs with a 1932 Kalamazoo Senior KG-11, 1935 L-00, and a 1943 Banner LG-2.

Mine is “aged” by me. I do think the tone is improved. I keep Martin Monels on for 6 months then Elixir 80/20s so it’s like a new guitar each 6 months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3150.jpg (36.1 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3146.jpg (24.3 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3149.jpg (37.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 12-31-2023, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Hey BBJ how did you 'age' your guitar? Thanks

Tom 20/15
Old 12-31-2023, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
Hey BBJ how did you 'age' your guitar? Thanks

Tom 20/15
I was going to ask the same thing!!! That looks amazing—better than a lot of professional builders. You could go into business!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion