The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 PM

Default New thread on pickguards: Specifically under the strings

Sorry to post redundantly. I just wanted to make sure that my specific question got a focus.
I just got a second guild F-30, and have to make a decision before I leave it with my guitar guy.
Would it be better to have a custom pickguard go up under the strings between the bridge and soundhole, or just let the wood get worn under the strings?
I put a hurting on this area of the guitar (Directly under the strings, yes) and the soundhole gets eaten away to some extent too. I love my old guitar with a normal pickguard and have let it get worn down. Its also got lots of cracks on the top. Still love the sound.
Would you want to protect the surface of the guitar, directly under the strings, to the extent of having double the area of pickguard , and having it in that critical place? Thats the crux.
Restating: What is more important to the sound: Intact wood under the strings or not doubling the area of the PG? Is intact wood valuable at all, for sound? Any chance that wear under the strings can contribute positively to the sound?
I think I am going to replace the pickguard anyway because of the color, and the shape of the custom I would get would be fairly attractive to me, a wave pattern. But the wear on my old one has a lot of charm too.
Anyone into the physics of this who cares to comment it would be well appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion