The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-14-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Default Alvarez with SYS250

Hi, folks...

I just yesterday received an Alvarez AG610CEAR (this is the MF version of the AG60, but with an armrest). It was one of those deep discount deals, so it was pretty cheap. I bought it for those times I am hosting open mics, jams, etc, so I can lend a cheap (but decent) guitar out (and protect my Martin and Yairi). The AG610 is, after settling in for a night, a very good instrument. The Alvarez layering (lamination) process is very good, neck is good, action is perfect, etc. I can feel vibrations throughout and it preserves the mahogany vibe. (Insert K.Yairi kudos here).

Okay, so here's the problem: I thought (mistakenly) that I was getting a Stagepro Element installed on this one (like my Yairi WY1 TS) - configurable and plays well with my Evolve 30M and my Fishman Artist. But when it arrived, it was a B-Band SYS250 - a smaller eq with tuner and a 'presence' control (whatever that means).

My bad - turns out the REGULAR AG60CE's come with StagePro Element, but the MF versions get the SYS250. But I've been tweaking it and playing thru my PA, and it seems --- well, not horrible, but not as nice as compared to either my Stagepro or my Anthem SL (in the D18). So, does anyone here know a lot about the B-Band SYS pickups? I understand the B-Band company is no more, and I am reticent keep this one (also I am a bit dubious about the B-Band). And, I can get a regular AG60CE with the SP Element (no shadowburst and no arm rest) for about the same price - maybe even cheaper on Reverb.

Can anyone here give some cosmic insight on the SYS pickups, esp lifespan and reliability of tone - I've been reading the SYS650's tended to break down(?)... Am I taking a big risk by keeping this one, considering B-Band is out of circulation these days?

Any recommendations on this setup?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2024, 03:48 PM

I’m in similar boat. I got an AG950CEAR from local Music & Arts. Had my eye on it for quite awhile. Love the sound and feel, but didn’t pull the trigger until it was discounted quite heavily.

The way I see it. If these guitars had the upgraded Preamps, they wouldn’t be priced at such a good value for what their acoustic sound offers. And likely not put on discount.

First, there are a lot or B-Banda on the used market if needed. Secondly, I haven’t had issues with any in the past. In fact I like the sound of the SyS250 because of that presence notch and mine has the phase button that gives it a very different tonality. Luckily, in the end you can always put in a soundhole pickup down the road. That’s what I used in college and it sounded great.

Hope that helps. Just feel good knowing you likely would’ve paid $300-400 more if it had the LR Baggs system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification