The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Yamaha CSF3M or Yamaha CSF1M?

I was doing some research today and stumbled across the Yamaha CSF3M and the Yamaha CSF1M. These guitars seem really amazing but there is almost a $200 price difference between them. I was wondering does anyone have an experience with either of these two guitars. After months of searching for my next acoustic, both of these check just about every box for me. The CSF3M is solid top, back and sides, while the CSF1M has laminated mahogany back and sides. Do you think the extra 200 is worth it the upgrade from the laminated version to the solid version or does it not make that much of a difference?
Old 03-21-2020, 09:04 PM

I've never had a chance to play a 3, but my 1 is really nice. I've upgraded the tuners, nut and saddle and it is a fantastic little guitar. Plugged into the hi-z input of my Stagepas 1k and it sounds great plugged in. I say save the $200 and get yourself a nice strap, a bone saddle and Tusq nut.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_gurl View Post
I was doing some research today and stumbled across the Yamaha CSF3M and the Yamaha CSF1M. These guitars seem really amazing but there is almost a $200 price difference between them. I was wondering does anyone have an experience with either of these two guitars. After months of searching for my next acoustic, both of these check just about every box for me. The CSF3M is solid top, back and sides, while the CSF1M has laminated mahogany back and sides. Do you think the extra 200 is worth it the upgrade from the laminated version to the solid version or does it not make that much of a difference?
Yes, I think it’s worth it.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:59 PM

I went to Guitar Center to try/buy the CSF1M, I wanted a small travel guitar, but to my surprise they had a CSF3M with a clearance tag on it: $439. That pretty much made my decision for me.

I did play both, and they both sounded good, IMHO you can’t go wrong with either, but hey, solid is solid, so yes there is a difference. A $200 difference? The answer is...maybe. If you’re mail ordering and can’t play them, and you have the money then get the 3. The 3 also has nice wood binding. I bought the sunburst and it’s beautiful.

I don’t like the tuners, and purchased Gotoh 510 mediums for it but haven’t installed yet. Probably put a new saddle on as YamahaGuy said as well.

My music room is upstairs, but she sits down here next to my recliner, and I play it often when I have a few spare minutes. Hope that helps. Pics-

Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 03-21-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
I went to Guitar Center to try/buy the CSF1M, I wanted a small travel guitar, but to my surprise they had a CSF3M with a clearance tag on it: $439. That pretty much made my decision for me.

I did play both, and they both sounded good, IMHO you can’t go wrong with either, but hey, solid is solid, so yes there is a difference. A $200 difference? The answer is...maybe. If you’re mail ordering and can’t play them, and you have the money then get the 3. The 3 also has nice wood binding. I bought the sunburst and it’s beautiful.

I don’t like the tuners, and purchased Gotoh 510 mediums for it but haven’t installed yet. Probably put a new saddle on as YamahaGuy said as well.

My music room is upstairs, but she sits down here next to my recliner, and I play it often when I have a few spare minutes. Hope that helps. Pics-

That is gorgeous!
Old 03-22-2020, 03:57 AM

+1 on the CSF 3M. A fantastic guitar for the money. I too debated long and hard
between the 3M and the 1M.
In the end the solid wood one me over. Great sound acoustic and plugged in.
Beautifully finished for the price point. Mine is a sunburst and is very pretty.
The gig bag it comes with, is excellent too.
Jade
Old 03-22-2020, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbaby View Post
+1 on the CSF 3M. A fantastic guitar for the money. I too debated long and hard
between the 3M and the 1M.
In the end the solid wood one me over. Great sound acoustic and plugged in.
Beautifully finished for the price point. Mine is a sunburst and is very pretty.
The gig bag it comes with, is excellent too.
Jade
Yes, I forgot to add that the fit and finish on these are excellent.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 03-22-2020, 07:58 AM

If I am not mistaken, both these models have rather tight spacing at the saddle. So, if you like to fingerpick, it isn't optimal. If not for this, I probably would have purchased one.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I liked solid wood on principle, and I did like my CSF3M a lot. The compact folk size was smaller than parlor size, and very light. It was beautifully made, and sounded good. I paid Sweetwater for a low set up, which was not low enough so I paid a luthier for a second set up. The string spacing at nut was closer than my other guitars, so it felt odd in rotation, and it was overwhelmed in a jam setting. I eventually replaced it with an Eastman parlor. I miss it now and then.
https://reverb.com/item/28865887-yam...intage-natural
There is a forum on the Yamaha CSFs:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...t=yamaha+csf3m

Last edited by vintage40s; 03-22-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:33 PM

I have played both quit a bit back-to-back. Sound differences are minimal, and I certainly wouldn't say one sounded better than the other. I would definitely recommend the structural stability of the laminated model if this is a guitar you want to travel with, and/or leave on the stand and use in a variety of environments with no worries. And with the $200 you save, you could probably buy a decent little amp!
Old 03-22-2020, 01:44 PM

I heard a back to back video, and the CSF3M sounded slightly better.
I would look at the Taylor GS Mini before making a final decision. I found the Yamaha, with its small sound cavity, distorted pretty easily. I sold my CSF3M when I bought my Eastman E1OOSS which, apples to oranges, blew the Yamaha away except they are equal for softer playing.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:22 PM

I’m looking at buying one of these for my 10-year-old daughter, because my GS Mini is a bit wide for her. Other than an Eastman E10P, is there anything else I should be looking at in the parlor size range? I should mention she wants either a sunburst or figured wood guitar, and I want her to have something that sounds good. If my wife wouldn’t kill me, I’d probably buy her a Martin 0-18.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)
Old 01-09-2021, 11:54 PM

Smile CSF3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpricewood View Post
I’m looking at buying one of these for my 10-year-old daughter, because my GS Mini is a bit wide for her. Other than an Eastman E10P, is there anything else I should be looking at in the parlor size range? I should mention she wants either a sunburst or figured wood guitar, and I want her to have something that sounds good. If my wife wouldn’t kill me, I’d probably buy her a Martin 0-18.
I own a CSF3M and I think it is very suitable for your 10-year old daughter. It sounds good with 11-52 gauge strings too to make playing more comfortable for her. I have D’Addario NB 12-53 on it currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_gurl View Post
My vote goes to the 3 instead of 1, unless you’re travelling with your guitar frequently. Not suitable if you’re a heavy strummer but good for moderate strumming. If the 1-11/16” nut is alright for you, the CSF3M is a good finger picking guitar too.

Happy hunting!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 01-10-2021, 01:09 PM

+1 on the CSF3M. I play mine just about every day and really like it. I mostly fingerpick and this guitar sounds amazing. I thought the 80/20 strings were a bit much and now use Elixir nanoweb PB lights.

Mine was bought mail order so I didn't compare the 1 to the 3. I actually was more interested in the 1 for a travel guitar but went for the solid wood version partly in hopes of a better sound and partly because I fell for the unstained mahogany binding.

It turns out that I feel this is too nice for travel so most of the time I bring the FS830. For a youngster I might go for the CSF1M unless I was confident it would be well cared for.

The only setup work necessary was a minor reduction of string height at the nut - the saddle and truss rod were spot on.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:58 PM

Just ordered a used, excellent condition CSF3M. It sounds like a great guitar. The only other high quality, all solid options were from Eastman, Larrivee, and a Martin 0-18. I think I’d worry too much about those getting beat up by a 10-year-old.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion