The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 11:54 AM

Question Should I sell it?

About a month ago, I bought a 2005 Taylor PS-15 Koa. It is in mint condition - no dings, scratches, etc...and the warranty card has not been filled out.

I absolutely love this guitar's sound and looks; however, I'm having a battle in my mind as to whether I should keep it or sell it to purchase a custom Taylor. The custom Taylor I have in mind is a Jumbo Koa with a florentine cutaway. The front/back/sides would be mastergrade Koa, but I would have to cut back on the bling to make it affordable.

Would changing the top from Engleman Spruce to Koa (with a cutaway)drastically change the sound? Does all mastergrade Koa used by Taylor look as good as mine?

I guess my biggest worry is that I will somehow lose out if I let this one go.

Thoughts?

The Desert Wind - Patrick's Flight
Old 03-12-2008, 11:59 AM

the decision is yours and yours alone, but the blank warranty card does not mean the warranty will transfer to the buyer if you sell it. Taylor warranties are non-transferable.................the warranty only applies to the first person who registered it as new, and the store you bought it from will have probably registered it in your name.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:04 PM

if you love the guitar, keep it. i have let go of many guitars that i loved. i usually end up regretting it. like you, i get excited about the prospects of trading one guitar for something i "think" might be better. it usually doesn't work out well. unless you are 100% positive that what you are trading it in for is an improvement then i would just hold on to the one that you know you love. that's my experience anyway. that being said, i can't say that i didn't have a blast acquiring new guitars all the time!

best of luck with your decision.

bill

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 03-12-2008, 12:10 PM

Isn't a PS-15 a Jumbo? A PS-14 is a GA. If so don't you already have what you seem to want?

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 PM

Yes, it's a jumbo. I'm just looking at changing to a cutaway with a Koa top.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM

Do you frequently play notes above the 12th fret?

2011 Taylor Custom 12-fret - Cedar / Ovangkol
2009 Taylor Custom GC - Engelmann / Maple
2008 Taylor Baby Mahogany
2006 Taylor T5-C
Old 03-12-2008, 12:17 PM

Not a whole lot, but there are occasional songs when I do.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
the decision is yours and yours alone, but the blank warranty card does not mean the warranty will transfer to the buyer if you sell it. Taylor warranties are non-transferable.................the warranty only applies to the first person who registered it as new, and the store you bought it from will have probably registered it in your name.
Louie, I believe that certain limiteds and the PS guitars are allowed a one time transfer of warranty when sold in a private sale.

Even if that were true with this guitar, unless the OP bought it as NOS, whoever he sold it to would be at least the third owner and and have no warranty.

So in the end, Louie's right anyway! LOL
Old 03-12-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Freak View Post
Louie, I believe that certain limiteds and the PS guitars are allowed a one time transfer of warranty when sold in a private sale.

Even if that were true with this guitar, unless the OP bought it as NOS, whoever he sold it to would be at least the third owner and and have no warranty.

So in the end, Louie's right anyway! LOL
really????? I did not know that...................thanks for the info !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM

If you love the guitar's sound and looks, keep it!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:28 PM
There is none like you.

I would keep the guitar alot of bling Koas's are pretty tinning, even the jumbos i have played 2 of them and they sound good but no bottom end. Well there is my 2 cents
Old 03-12-2008, 12:32 PM

That's part of what had me concerned about buying a new one. The Koa I have now has a very balanced tone with a nice base, but not too thudy.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:36 PM

Lightbulb

Hello there.

You have a very beautiful guitar on your hands. I love the highly figured back that you have on it.

I had been given my current guitar as a gift, so I didn't know much about guitars and what it was I really wanted. Over the past two years as I have been taking lessons and trying to learn as much as I can, there has been a maturing process that has taken place. I too have been moving in the direction of seeing that a jumbo size guitar would fit more the style of play and music that I'm starting to get familiar with.

Though I love my current guitar quite a bit, I could see myself selling it off in a few more years when I have saved enough to buy a jumbo koa 12 string.

Wanderlust? In your case I don't think so. Perhaps you are going through the same process that I have been going through; where your playing style and taste in music are guiding you to a different guitar. I maybe wrong, but this is just an opinion and is very subjective.

As other have said, in the end you will be the one making the decision. In a perfect world we could buy and keep as many "things" that we wanted to. Where I'm at, if I sold my current guitar (and I love it very much) if I could get exactly what I wanted, then I don't feel that I would have any regrets.

Good luck...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 PM

Default Should I sell it?

Nope.. wouldn't sell it. I have to agree with mcphersonnut - I've owned all Koa guitars (back, sides, and top) and they do not project as well as with a spruce top. One of the most beautiful guitars I had was a JDCM - a real beauty to look at, but it just did nothing for me when playing it. If you like what have (and it is a GREAT guitar.. keep it - I don't think you will regret it. Just my 2 cents worth. Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:05 PM

I'm not a fan of all koa guitars. I'd keep the one you have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion