The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2024, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Martin Authentic or Modern Deluxe If..

If you wear hearing aids, would you spend the money for a Martin Authentic or Modern Deluxe? Or, just purchase a standard 18 or 28 (HD maybe) and have it set up by a true luthier? Have money and GAS. It's burning a hole in my pocket. Also getting new hearing aids next week.
Old 04-26-2024, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Both are great Martins. If you haven’t owned either, and you can afford it, I would take the plunge if for nothing else than to try one. Buy used…there’s tons for sale like new at good prices. Nothing wrong with a standard series Martin. But the Authentics are in a different league IMO. More clarity, less mid-scoop, more responsive, all hide glue construction etc. The Modern Deluxe has more sparkle, is also more responsive, and a lot of sustain.

So yes I would buy one. You deserve it.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4000 shipped
Old 04-26-2024, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

Well, I've had a 2020 model OM28 Modern Deluxe for maybe about five weeks now (thanks to a great trade with another forum member). I also have a couple of other Martins, a custom Collings, and have owned a fair number of others in the past.

I have to say, after some really minor tweaks to the Mod. Del. (most importantly, getting the previous owners' Elixer strings off and replacing with more traditional strings), this guitar is good. It is really good. And it is certainly different.

It doesn't sound anything at all like the (much more expensive) 1937 Authentics. Those guitars, IMHO, do tend to sound much more like the older Martins (and they are generally awesome, but quite expensive compared to the others you note). The Modern Deluxe, at least the one I have, certainly still has that Martin sound, but maybe it tends a little more towards the Collings end of the spectrum. Maybe the notes are somehow a little more defined and precise. Does that make any sense at all? (FYI, I play maybe 85% fingerstyle, singer-songwriter "folky" stuff. I don't know if you'd want the MD if you are primarily a bluegrass or old time picker. But, then too, maybe you would...)

I, for one, am a real fan of mixing modern tech with old school tradition (as an architect, we do this in many situations when we work on historic buildings - it can work really well if done thoughtfully). Personally, I appreciate the modern technology, and the tone (at least of the one I have) is really quite nice. I also thoroughly enjoy picking up my 1986 Martin dread and playing that now and then - a totally different thing.

If I had it to do over, I would not hesitate to shop quite seriously for another Modern Deluxe. If I could only own one guitar (particularly only one below maybe the $5k MSRP price point), it would quite likely be a Modern Deluxe OM or 000. It's roughly a 25% price increase over the standard series, and for me, it is worthwhile, at least based on my limited experience and the guitars I've played.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:35 AM

I have both and I also have hearing aids. Totally worth it and the authentic is my favorite.
2022 Breedlove Oregon Series CE Blackberry
2023 Eastman E20D-MR-TC
1973 Hohner Contessa HG-22 Slothead Steel 12-fret
1977 Continental something-or-other Nylon
Old 04-26-2024, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

I cycled my way through a number of MDs and Authentics and now have one of each. Just replaced my 6 yr old hearing aids this week and both guitars sound super sweet.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 04-26-2024, 12:54 PM

To me, the authentic is more dry and vintage sounding, the modern deluxe lush and pretty sounding. Both are great choices depending on what you want.

The standard series is somewhere in the middle and can be really great too, especially (IMO) the reimagined ones with forward shifted scalloped bracing.

There are of course major neck difference between the models. The modern deluxe neck is similar to the modified low oval on most of the standard series. The authentic necks vary by model but are often a lot thicker.
Old 04-26-2024, 01:04 PM

Get the Yamaha FG9 in whichever sides and back, hog or rosewood, you want.

As finely-appointed as either of the Martins, priced around the same, and definitely LOUDER.

I played and FG9-R back to back with a D-28 MD, in a private room at Chicago Music Exchange, for close to 40 minutes. I examined every element of each from tip to tip, top to bottom, and inside with a flashlight. I preferred the Yamaha, but did not purchase that day because of lack of $$.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 04-26-2024, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I just recently got hearing aids, and life would be a misery if I did not have a guitar playing channel. The increased highs that are so great for understanding speech are very detrimental to the treble tones of a guitar. That and compression wreck guitar tone. I'd take your brightest guitar to your follow up appointment and get a program for guitar. My Rexton aids had a playing music program already, but I had a lot more highs rolled off to sound good.

I went to an open mic last night for the first time with my aids and it was fabulous as far as hearing goes. Then I switched to the music venue program and that was very good too. It's been a very good experience, but remember to switch out of your playing music program back to a general program after you play. I do almost everything with my iPhone app.

An added bonus is I'm streaming through my Roku TV into my phones. Even the northern UK TV show accents are intelligible. My only gripe with the Rextons are their tendency to drop bluetooth. Takes time for them to reconnect. Minor in the big picture and it's a known problem with the brand. Costco has been very good, and I do understand all the stores aren't.

As far as what guitar, get your program dialed in, then shop normally as you always have. Both guitars are going to be good. Please your ears as they hear now. It's your new reality.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-26-2024, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I just recently got hearing aids, and life would be a misery if I did not have a guitar playing channel. The increased highs that are so great for understanding speech are very detrimental to the treble tones of a guitar. That and compression wreck guitar tone.
Good advice here. If you're soon getting hearing aids -- and a new guitar -- you're going to be adjusting to the hearing aids and trying to evaluate guitar tone at the same time. Not a good idea, at least in my experience.

My hearing aids don't have a channel that backs off on the trebles, so I either play guitar without aids or turn down the volume. (I've got to get me one of those guitar playing filters.)

Anyway -- just a caution that those top of the line Martins might not sound great if you're in the process of getting used to your new hearing aids.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:42 PM

To add to what’s already been posted, definitely get your new hearing aids and get accustomed to them before you go guitar shopping. If you rush into buying a guitar before then, you might regret it.

whm
Old 04-26-2024, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
To add to what’s already been posted, definitely get your new hearing aids and get accustomed to them before you go guitar shopping. If you rush into buying a guitar before then, you might regret it.

whm
^^^ This. Definitely this. ^^^
Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion