The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2016, 02:56 AM

Have not given up playing electrics, even though my Martin receives most of my attention these days.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:43 AM

I've been playing electrics for over 40 years up until about 2 1/2 years ago. About the same time I purchased a surprisingly nice
Alvarez classical (for very short money, thank you Craigslist!!) that surprised me how much I enjoyed playing.

I already had a nice Yairi so I switched to just playing acoustic guitar. Bought another classical and another Yairi and looking to
purchase a nice OM in the spring once I save a few more $$$. I really didn't miss playing my electrics at all, although I still pick them
up occasionally. I have a few vintage Fender and Mesa Boogie amps as well as some really great electrics that I'll never sell.

But more recently I have been getting a few calls to audition for lead guitar openings in local cover bands and to play
my electrics at some local jam sessions and parties.

I feel a bit like Michael Corleone, "Once I think I'm out, they keep pulling me back in!!".

I consider myself more of an acoustic guitar player now, I enjoy it too much and wish I started playing acoustics much earlier.
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy
Old 03-10-2016, 10:17 AM

Thank you guys for all of the responses. I can relate with so many of them!

I've managed to thin my electric herd down to two, my PRS that was signed to me by Paul and my LE Strat. I'll never sell these two. I also sold off my Dr Z amp and all of my pedals and bought a Line 6 Helix. It covers all of my electric needs and I don't feel guilty having boutique amps and pedals laying around.

The cool thing is that I can use Helix with my acoustics and record, so that makes things really interesting. I have a couple 8" PreSonus monitors, so I can get some really nice room filling tones with my Taylor through the Helix.

DADGAD tuning has me totally enamored at the moment, and I hope it stays this way. I think if I ever got back into a band I'd probably opt to be the acoustic player!
Old 03-10-2016, 11:39 AM

I am a Gemini or bi-polar or both. One day is acoustic for a few then electric then back. Funny though. I never get tired of an acoustic. With electrics I always seem to have a love-hate thing for the ones I own. I do notice though that as I mature(ummmm get older) I like my semis better than solids.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 PM

I'm kinda on the fence. To me it is far more enjoyable to just sit around with an acoustic rather than plug in one of my electrics. But my electrics are awesome as well. I had always thought that acoustic guitars were for more subdued playing style until I heard John Fahey who completely changed my perspective.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
A funny thing is happening to me these days. As I get older I am turning from the electric guitar and picking up my acoustic more and more. I've never been an acoustic guy because I always wanted to be the lead guy, and was always the electric player in the bands I've been in. But lately, I just am bored with electric and have really taken to acoustic.

I think part of this journey is that I never really owned a great acoustic until I bought my Taylor 414 last year. The sound is so inspiring and when I tune to DADGAD I just lose myself for hours....something that doesn't happen with electric anymore.

Anybody else experience this? Am I just taking a break or am I converting to an acoustic player? I haven't touched my electrics since October of last year and I just find the sound of an acoustic beautiful lately.
Yes..that is why I joined here recently. I had quit playing acoustic for quite a while and am recently rediscovering the joy of it.

Nice folks here too.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:59 PM

I have a beautiful electric guitar that I play only a few times a year for the past few years. That may change some day, but not soon.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 03-10-2016, 10:59 PM

I gave up on electric bass some yrs ago and play only acoustic guitar these days, no regrets.
dave
Old 04-24-2024, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
I've always played acoustic. Occasionally I'll pick up an electric and and I realize why I don't play electric.

I guess you have to remind yourself every once in a while.
This 100%
They are different animals, and I'll gladly stay in my lane and stay exclusively with Acoustic. I've owned a few electrics, and every one of them sounded better unplugged.
Old 04-24-2024, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Didn't give it up but I have never taken it up.

That said, 30 years after I started on acoustic I have a hankering for a telecaster that is hard to deny.

Knowing I'll never play it out is the only thing keeping me from picking one up.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 04-24-2024, 04:54 AM

I did for a while but my Electric's are making a come back ...
But mainly for a few more rocking and Roll/faster songs...
Most Ballads and my Electric aren't a good combo with my picking style

My Toys:
Taylor AD17e (Ovangkol)
Guild "Bob Marley"
Epiphone ES339Pro P90 Limited
Fender Affinity Strat Custom W/P90's
Old 04-24-2024, 05:15 AM

How interesting to read all the comments!!!
I generally play acoustic. Had an Epiphone Sheraton back in the day with a Vox amp, which I sold. Never found the time to play it and dig in to all the available settings on the amp. A couple of years ago I was feeling the urge to play electric again and bought a Les Paul with a small Yamaha wireless amp. Play it a bit more than the Sheraton but still prefer picking up an acoustic
Old 04-24-2024, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

I haven’t 100% given up playing electric - I've kept one electric guitar (a parts Jazzmaster) and I'm contemplating selling one of my two amps to a friend. But when I do get the urge to do something with an amp sound at home, I'll more often do it with a soundhole pickup into my little homebuilt Princeton Reverb type amp. I'm enjoying exploring that more than actual electric lately.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 04-24-2024, 05:52 AM

I've gone all acoustic after decades of gigging electrics.

I'm having a hard time deciding to sell off my Boogie (Blue Angel) and Fender (Prosonic) and a Les Paul (just a Studio, but a goodin') but will do it someday. I'll keep the old Tele.

I'm the guy with a nos American tube hoard who took it pretty serious, but a switch flipped and all I care about is acoustic music now.

Go figure.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 04-24-2024, 06:17 AM
Charter Member

I have actually done the opposite. I am very much rooted in acoustic instruments (guitar and mandolin) and I have always sung.

After playing solo gigs (acoustic) as well as in a classic rock cover band has kept me into both (acoustic and electric) for many years.

Since I retired a few years ago, I play as much or more than ever but have moved away from solo acoustic gigs and concentrating more on electric.

I am awaiting delivery of a Reverend Airwave 12 string electric to add a new ingredient to the band's sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion