The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2024, 08:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Buying a Custom Guitar

If a new guitar from a boutique builder (Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton, etc.) are way more expensive than a comparable model from Gibson, Martin, etc., what makes them desirable. I know there must be a certain amount of cache in buying a guitar from an exclusive builder.

I say that having bought a few handmade bicycles from custom builders. To me, the whole experience was great. Got to meet the builder, was involved in the design process, got to pick the components, saw the bikes being built in different stages of production...even got to pick the colors. In the end, it was satisfying to me to have a cool new bike that I was involved in making. They turned out beautiful (they did not make me faster). Is it something like that with getting a custom guitar? Thanks.
Old 04-15-2024, 08:48 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Ok, I didn't get a custom built, but I did buy a Pellerin, who is a small shop builder (also a forum sponsor). The fit and finish is amazing and when compared to a Furch Yellow that I had (same woods, similar body style) it was a no contest in favor of the Pellerin.

I imagine being able to pick out the rosette, bindings, etc. would enhance the experience. Plus knowing that a guitar was built specifically for you would make it special.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-15-2024, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

For me, it's the sound quality. I don't care so much about the customization, appearance, the person making them, etc. With a factory instrument, they are assembling parts all cut to the same size. Wood varies in density, stiffness, etc. So, when you put these variables together in the same manner, you will have some decent factory guitars and a few not so great ones. A skilled luthier can adjust and optimize each part to create a more harmonious instrument. That often results in greater sustain, volume, overtones, etc. But, they have control so maybe one is built for the player who wants a more dry but responsive sound, or another for a player who wants to craft soundscapes that are sustaining, rich, and dramatic.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder View Post
If a new guitar from a boutique builder (Bourgeois, Huss & Dalton, etc.) are way more expensive than a comparable model from Gibson, Martin, etc., what makes them desirable. I know there must be a certain amount of cache in buying a guitar from an exclusive builder.

I say that having bought a few handmade bicycles from custom builders. To me, the whole experience was great. Got to meet the builder, was involved in the design process, got to pick the components, saw the bikes being built in different stages of production...even got to pick the colors. In the end, it was satisfying to me to have a cool new bike that I was involved in making. They turned out beautiful (they did not make me faster). Is it something like that with getting a custom guitar? Thanks.
There's the answer to your question; it's being involved in the entire process and getting exactly what you want. Also, the boutique builders are able to the take time and care that factories cannot afford to do. Individual luthiers take this a step further - basically everything that they do is custom, so the process does not cost additional unless you select added cost changes, such as more expensive woods or hardware.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-15-2024, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Builders like Bourgeois and Huss and Dalton are not typically built to order in that kind of bespoke way, that's usually more the realm of single shop luthiers.

There are a number of answers to this, though... and one of them is that the small shop isn't necessarily that much more expensive. And many people find that they prefer the tone or playability, or both.

Let's take Bourgeois and Martin... I was just trying to find some concrete examples... on Reverb you can get a new D-18 for about $2400. A Bourgeois Heirloom Series Country Boy (their version of the D-18) starting at about $5200. So, yeah, that seems like a lot more. But then if you look to the D-18 Authentic, they start at around $7300. A lot of people would say that the Bourgeois is a closer comparison to the Authentic. So it's not really as cut and dried as the boutiques are more expensive. It's not necessarily true... there's a continuum, and if you go and play them, maybe you'll like the Bourgeois more than either Martin, and that will be the one that makes sense.

But, there is also the pleasure in having something well crafted, and different. Small shops also frequently have slightly better fit and finish, take time to individually tune the braces based on criteria other than just standardization.

And then when it comes to the single luthier thing, it's a whole different ballgame. Again, there's the pleasure in being part of the process, and having something made just for you. You might find a tone you prefer, or features that you desire. And, it's not necessarily that much more expensive (though, obviously it can be much more expensive).

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:01 PM

A different approach....

Well, it seemed that when buying an acoustic guitar - they always came from thousands of miles away....mysterious foggy places far, far away and a complete 'unit' arrives in a case! This is what you get, sort of thing.

But one fine day I was picking up a repair from my local luthier and I noticed this beautiful and exotic acoustic hanging from the roof on wire.......

"Wat Dat?", I asked.

Ha, it is a full custom he makes....he let me have a little play...WOW!

"Is this for sale? How much?"

Unfortunately for me, the new owner was about to come pick up his new beast.

So against all my rules of playing first, mahogany/sitka... blah, blah, I ordered a deep body 00 of exotic woods with a large V neck and plenty of fingerpicking space!

And the wait begins, and some hand wringing and second thoughts and loss of sleep and indecision and....excitement, joy.....fear? And one day when you have almost forgotten all that ...it is finished!

HA! Wow! Perfect!

Now it is around 8 years old and it is fully emotionally attached! Last one out it will be, though I do have a penchant for buying and trying different guitars.....

To me the luthier is my friend and pseudo brother in arms and maker of this fine art object - to him I have probably just another ...pest? Crazy person, mad customer

BluesKing777.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

I had a custom guitar made by a luthier that works only about 30 miles from my house. I hand picked the wood and chose custom inlays of my choice. Everything, including the neck thickness and shape was chosen by me. I am the only person who has a guitar exactly like this one.

For my guitar, I chose walnut back and sides, sinker redwood top, walnut neck in a fairly chunky D shape, and wooden inlays shaped as arrow heads. I also chose an engraving "Native" at the 12th fret.

The fretboard and bridge are ebony. The rosette is wood, as is the binding.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 04-16-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-16-2024, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

My initial custom orders were prior to 1973 when it was simply because I couldn't find the guitars that I wanted. Result ; failure.

Once I had started to understand exactly what I wanted in 1996 ish, I had to search even harder to find instruments that suited both my ears and hands.

My wife had a 002h 12 fret built locally, which sounds great but still not ideal from the neck profile and fretboard width/radius.

The biggest mistake was my 60th birthday gift to myself in 2008 which was a custom order from H&D. which was an expensive disaster from day one.

Now I know exactly what I want, and whom I could trust, but I'll not order custom any more unless I win a million on the premium bonds.
They would be Collings!
Old 04-16-2024, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

This one of the best posts - a great encapsulation of the topic and entertaining.

Now I’ve read many great posts since 2014 but this is one of the tops - thanks! 😇😂

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
A different approach....

Well, it seemed that when buying an acoustic guitar - they always came from thousands of miles away....mysterious foggy places far, far away and a complete 'unit' arrives in a case! This is what you get, sort of thing.

But one fine day I was picking up a repair from my local luthier and I noticed this beautiful and exotic acoustic hanging from the roof on wire.......

"Wat Dat?", I asked.

Ha, it is a full custom he makes....he let me have a little play...WOW!

"Is this for sale? How much?"

Unfortunately for me, the new owner was about to come pick up his new beast.

So against all my rules of playing first, mahogany/sitka... blah, blah, I ordered a deep body 00 of exotic woods with a large V neck and plenty of fingerpicking space!

And the wait begins, and some hand wringing and second thoughts and loss of sleep and indecision and....excitement, joy.....fear? And one day when you have almost forgotten all that ...it is finished!

HA! Wow! Perfect!

Now it is around 8 years old and it is fully emotionally attached! Last one out it will be, though I do have a penchant for buying and trying different guitars.....

To me the luthier is my friend and pseudo brother in arms and maker of this fine art object - to him I have probably just another ...pest? Crazy person, mad customer

BluesKing777.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 04-16-2024, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Are you sure that small builders are more expensive? Martin Authentics, etc. are pretty high too.

I owned a 000 Huss and Dalton and it was in a different league compared to a standard 00-18. Both were great guitars, but the build quality on the H&D was so nice that I was scared to keep it out. I eventually sold both because I can't justify a $2500 guitar sitting around and I don't make money off of my music.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:21 PM

I stopped buying ready made guitars long ago, doesn't matter the brand name. Because I always have this thought at the back of my mind that someone else can get the exact same thing. I want to have a unique guitar that only I would have.

So I connected with various luthiers and passed by their workshops to talk to them, to understand the philosophy behind their work, and to hear their sounds.

Each luthier has a unique sound, and a unique approach towards guitar making that extend much further beyond mere appearance. I even went further as to hunt for unique sets of wood and consulted with the luthier to find the best sets.

The resulting guitars are uniquely a manifestation of my identity. They cost ALOT as well. But so far, all luthiers have been happy to do the repair work and maintenance for free (for those guitars that needed such services) for some reason.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:23 PM

Wow.....beauuutifulllll
Old 04-16-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, it can be exactly like that. There is even an entire "Custom Shop" subforum here for those going through the process. Each builder typically has a selection of general shapes/sizes they make, and some generally things they do (or don't do) standard, but beyond that everything is negotiable, for a price. When I had my made, not only did I get to specify the woods, select the actual back/side sets and top, specify all the widths, thicknesses, spacings and other parameters, but I even designed my own rosette, headstock and fretboard inlays, but I even had custom tuners engraved and installed.

Find a builder you might like, inquire, and see what sorts of customizations they are willing to make.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I had a custom guitar made by a luthier that works only about 30 miles from my house. I hand picked the wood and chose custom inlays of my choice. Everything, including the neck thickness and shape was chosen by me. I am the only person who has a guitar exactly like this one.

For my guitar, I chose walnut back and sides, sinker redwood top, walnut neck in a fairly chunky D shape, and wooden inlays shaped as arrow heads. I also chose an engraving "Native" at the 12th fret.

The fretboard and bridge are ebony. The rosette is wood, as is the binding.
WOWWWWwww........beauuuuutifullllll
Old 04-16-2024, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I love this analogy because I use it all the time and it hits home. I've raced bikes for a solid 15 years and now have settled down to weekend rides on my Ti Moots. I also build guitars. So yes the experience and the craft people involved are very much the same. Interestingly there are a few former pro cyclists that are professional luthiers today.

To there is a connection there

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion