The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-17-2024, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Yeah I'm in the minority re: the Element pickup. I have an Element Pro Barndoor in my Rainsong that sounds real good to my ears, so I replaced the Fishman MX-T (Sonitone) that came in my SC10e with the Baggs Element VTC and that works much better for me. So I guess different strokes...
Yes I agree the Element is much better than the MX-T (Sonitone).

I tried one of these SC10e's yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. So easy to play and the sapele takes away a lot of the brassiness of the SC13e. Would make a perfect, no worry, gigging guitar. Not sure if I could handle the stock pickup (sonitone) but would probably change to an Element. The Anthen SL for whatever reason didn't sound great in the SC13e I had...maybe due to the thin body or the shape??
Old 04-24-2024, 08:21 AM

Lately I've been gigging with my Martin 000-15M w/ Anthem SL and it sounds great and plays easily. However, during the summer heat with the extreme temps and threat of rain, I wanted something similar that I wouldn't worry about, so I picked up a SC10-E2 for a great price. I first tried one at a local GC and loved the way the sapele mellowed out the overly bright tone of the regular SC13e. Now I need to decide what pickup to put in it? There's no way that horrible sonitone is staying. The small bridgeplate doesn't really accommodate the Anthem Tru-Mic so well, so I was thinking about a Baggs Element VTC.

Question....is the SC10e sapele model a little heavy feeling? Mine feels much heavier to me than the regular SC13e. Could be the all solid sapele body?
Also, anyone know if these stock tuners are any good? Anything else you guys think needs upgrading?
Old 04-24-2024, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jack, congrats on your SC10 sapele.

Mine is a little heavier than my 000 spruce/mahogany. I've read that sapele is a heavier, denser wood than mahogany.

I like the Baggs Element VTC I put in it. The tuners are serviceable. It's a great gigging instrument, hope it works for you.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ

Last edited by jricc; 04-25-2024 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Hi Jack, congrats on your SC10 sapele.

Mine is a little heavier than my 000 spruce/mahogany. I've read that sapele is a heavier, denser wood than mahogany.

I like the Baggs Element VTC I put in it. The tuners are serviceable. It's a great gigging instrument, hope it works for you.
I'll be gig testing it tonight for the first time. Can you weigh yours and see what it is? Mine is 5 lbs on the nose.
Old 04-25-2024, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I'll be gig testing it tonight for the first time. Can you weigh yours and see what it is? Mine is 5 lbs on the nose.
Hope the gig goes well. Report back on how it goes and if the guitar works for you.
Sorry, I can't weigh mine, I don't have a scale. I will say that for 3-4 hr gigs, it plays so easy and my shoulder is fine, no noticeable weight difference.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old Today, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Hope the gig goes well. Report back on how it goes and if the guitar works for you.
Sorry, I can't weigh mine, I don't have a scale. I will say that for 3-4 hr gigs, it plays so easy and my shoulder is fine, no noticeable weight difference.
Which Element did you install? The one with just a volume wheel or the one with volume and tone?
Old Today, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Which Element did you install? The one with just a volume wheel or the one with volume and tone?
The Element VTC volume and tone. Works well with mine.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion