The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 12:02 PM

Default How would a 00-18 Authentic fit into my current collection?

I currently have (among others) a Waterloo WL-K and a Martin 000-18 Golden Era. I’ve been intrigued by the idea of a 00-18 Authentic especially since I heard that they are out of production but there are some good deals on used ones around right now. I haven’t been able to find one locally to try however.

While I’m still in the early dreaming/curiosity phase, I thought I’d get some input from you all. On paper, it seems like the 00-18 would fall somewhere between my 000-18 GE and WL-K? I’m imagining more overtones and perhaps more volume than my WL-K and a more focused voice than my 000-18. Am I on the right track?

For those who have played all (or a couple) of the guitars in question how would you compare them?

Thank you!

Edited to add: I most DEFINITELY will play the 00-18 before buying it, this is a question based in general curiosity for now.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

In general, the 00-12 will have a bit more punch and directness, while losing some of the girth in the bass spectrum. They sound a little more delicate and immediate across the entire spectrum to me. The trick to a good 00 is making one that doesn't sound like a boxy toy. I played this 00-12 at Schoenberg in Tiburon and felt it was one of the best guitars there - and that is saying something given the quality of the guitars in that store.

https://om28.com/ProductDetail?product=P160407001
Old 11-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
In general, the 00-12 will have a bit more punch and directness, while losing some of the girth in the bass spectrum. They sound a little more delicate and immediate across the entire spectrum to me. The trick to a good 00 is making one that doesn't sound like a boxy toy. I played this 00-12 at Schoenberg in Tiburon and felt it was one of the best guitars there - and that is saying something given the quality of the guitars in that store.

That’s a beautiful one!! I recently picked up the WL-K and I’ve found it’s ignited some serious small(er) guitar GAS for me!! Thank you for your thoughts and the link as well
Old 11-02-2019, 09:47 PM

I don't subscribe to guitars "fitting in" with other guitars. It's either you like and want it or not. Like above, finding a 00 that will keep your attention after a couple of years. I've bought some top-tier 00's but, in the end, left them for 000/OM's as they just don't have the tone of a 000. They can be excellent but, for me, after a while I grab for a larger body.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
I don't subscribe to guitars "fitting in" with other guitars. It's either you like and want it or not.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, yes, YES to THIS!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 PM

There is a Martin 00-18 Authentic 1931 in a local shop - I was extremely impressed with the detailed construction, finish, build quality - akin to a historical reproduction befitting a museum - and it is, for who am I to say only as an uninformed admirer.

The tone was delicate, articulate, favouring the trebles and without lower midrange girth - it was a reminder to me why I prefer 000 in mahogany.

Last edited by Jaden; 11-02-2019 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Diction?
Old 11-02-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
I don't subscribe to guitars "fitting in" with other guitars. It's either you like and want it or not. Like above, finding a 00 that will keep your attention after a couple of years. I've bought some top-tier 00's but, in the end, left them for 000/OM's as they just don't have the tone of a 000. They can be excellent but, for me, after a while I grab for a larger body.
I appreciate your advice and input first and foremost.

I should clarify a little bit just to make sure we’re on the same page: my thought is ‘I don’t want to spend a good chunk of cash on a guitar that covers similar ground to the guitars I already have’ (not sure if that was clear from what I was saying before). That being said, I like your approach: if I want and can afford it, I should totally go for it!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
There is a Martin 00-18 Authentic 1931 in a local shop - I was extremely impressed with the detailed construction, finish, build quality - akin to a historical reproduction befitting a museum - and it is, for who am I to say only as an uninformed admirer.

The tone was delicate, articulate, favouring the trebles and without lower midrange girth - it was a reminder to me why I prefer 000 in mahogany.
Am I correct in thinking you were impressed with the construction but not the overall tone of the 00-18 you played?

Also, out of general curiosity, are you a bigger fan of rosewood in 12 fret 00s?
Old 11-03-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuhunter View Post
Am I correct in thinking you were impressed with the construction but not the overall tone of the 00-18 you played?

Also, out of general curiosity, are you a bigger fan of rosewood in 12 fret 00s?
I think the above post (your response) is key - if you take it home you’ll gain experience with the instrument that cannot be substituted by impressions of others - my own path has taken me in a certain direction, including the requirement for a smooth bass response which my OM excels at with bare flesh fingerpicking. I could well imagine the embarrassment of my chicken picking style with the high register prominence of that 00-18 - requires fine playing and composition of the highest order to pull it off. With mahogany back guitars especially, lower midrange bloom is an important part of the tonal signature, in my opinion, and I don’t know if that particular 00 would ever open up or change its character to provide that - doubtful.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I love my 00-18 Authentic. Its now my primary go to guitar while in the house. The tone and the response just grabs me. I also like the simplicity of design.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:52 PM

I think an Authentic would fit in any collection.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckgoodbar View Post
I love my 00-18 Authentic. Its now my primary go to guitar while in the house. The tone and the response just grabs me. I also like the simplicity of design.
That’s awesome to hear!

What kind of music do you usually play?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post

Ooh that is pretty, and I love the open headstock.
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 11-03-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I think an Authentic would fit in any collection.
Amen to that... just not sure which one to get although I know I definitely want one.

I currently have a Waterloo WL-K, Gibson Hummingbird True Vintage, Martin 000-18 Golden Era, and want either a 00-18 Authentic or a D-18 of some kind. Then there’s the little voice in my head saying ‘what about rosewood.... what about maple....’ Haha there’s always (at least) one more guitar to buy!
Old 11-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't subscribe to guitars "fitting in" with other guitars. It's either you like and want it or not...
I DON’T agree at all. There’s really no purpose in having multiple guitars that sound or feel the same. You’ll play the better one every time. I’ve had 3 000-18GEs and a 000-18A. The 00-18A can’t compete with the volume of a 000 but it’s a substantially better guitar than those 000s. What they are doing with these newest Authentics are really great. I have a Waterloo WL-12 and if you like 00s, I have yet to play a better Martin 00-12. The 1 7/8” neck is surprisingly comfortable. I’ve played 3 and wish I were in the position to buy each one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion