The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 09:02 AM

Default Learning to do my own set ups

I've decided to start doing my own set ups. The amount of times I have had work done and then had to ask for more adjustments etc I'd rather just do it myself, save money and know it's exactly how I want it.

I'm after help compiling a list of things I'll need. I want to do the full works. Set action, level and polish frets etc. What will I need?

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-21-2015, 09:09 AM

One of my lessons was getting something used and dirt cheap to practice on. After you do something once or twice you're amazingly better at it the third time around.

Of course http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/pagelist.html

and http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Online_Resources/

Are invaluable.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:29 AM

Don't forget your eyeballs.
I found my up close vision to be lacking and I am still looking for a combination light and magnifier.
Maybe like the jewelery makers use.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 AM

I've been referring to this site for the basics:

http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/g...p_page_01.html

Things like re-fretting or neck resets are beyond my pay grade so I leave that stuff to the pros. But relief, saddles, and nuts are easy enough and satisfying to do.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basque View Post
I've been referring to this site for the basics:

http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/g...p_page_01.html

Things like re-fretting or neck resets are beyond my pay grade so I leave that stuff to the pros. But relief, saddles, and nuts are easy enough and satisfying to do.
I would not rely on the linked site.

In my opinion, setting the saddle height should be the last thing you adjust, generally speaking.

Relief
Nut
Saddle
Old 09-21-2015, 10:48 AM

I just got my Bourgeois back from a setup...60 clams. I sometimes toy with the idea of doing my own setups but then I look at the prices of nut files and neck-relief rulers and the fret files, etc and then I'm like "ug forget it" .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 AM

To be honest the levelling of frets is one of my biggest issues. I was hoping the cost of the equipment would eventually pay for itself

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
To be honest the levelling of frets is one of my biggest issues. I was hoping the cost of the equipment would eventually pay for itself
That's something I've never tried, or even read about. This may be just dumb, but it seems you'd have to adjust the fingerboard to dead straight before leveling with a straight edge?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Well good luck, I understand wanting to learn to do your own. But as inexpensive as they are around here I'll stick to my guy.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 PM

Good luck with that, i would like to learn also
Old 09-21-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
I've decided to start doing my own set ups. The amount of times I have had work done and then had to ask for more adjustments etc I'd rather just do it myself, save money and know it's exactly how I want it.

I'm after help compiling a list of things I'll need. I want to do the full works. Set action, level and polish frets etc. What will I need?
I have a good setup guy, and it is fairly inexpensive. That said, I'm a tinkerer and I like to know how to do things. I've been fiddling with a couple of cheap junker guitars to learn how to do setup stuff. It's been fun and may pay off at some point in terms of convenience.

Cheap nut files: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=393998
Old 09-21-2015, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

To those wanting to learn. My guy learned by going to pawn shops and the like and buying old guitars for cheap and taking them apart and putting them back together, and setting them up. Then he resold them to recoup his money. Some he made money on because people had a guitar that needed set up and they didn't realize it was that simple, so they just got rid of it.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:48 PM

+1 ... for the same reasons I don't work on my own cars even though I could probably invest in the proper tools and take a class or two at the local tech school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
Well good luck, I understand wanting to learn to do your own. But as inexpensive as they are around here I'll stick to my guy.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 09-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
I would not rely on the linked site.

In my opinion, setting the saddle height should be the last thing you adjust, generally speaking.

Relief
Nut
Saddle
That is odd. He references Bryan Kimsey, then goes in the wrong order and recommends sanding the bottom of the saddle. All contrary to Bryan's work.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The tools add up pretty quickly. Nut files alone are a pretty penny. I would not do this to save money, but as another extension of your knowledge and enjoyment of the guitar experience. I had my Martin's frets leveled recently. It was $150. It needed doing after 15 years of wear. That is $10 a year.

That said, I do all my minor setup work. A good machinist's straight edge will set you back a few bucks, but is really worth it. That and feeler gauges will get you doing truss rod adjustments. Add a few nut files and you can do a lot. If you go too far you can fill the nut slots with bone dust and superglue.

I did level the frets on a tele with decent results. I agree you should work on a beater. I've been intrigued by the work luthiers are doing converting set neck to bolt on joints thus salvaging old Yammis and Taks from the boneyard.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion