The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 02:44 AM

Default Which is your favourite Taylor 1xx/2xx Series?

Let's compare the many models available in the market right now:

110ce
114ce
------
210ce
214ce
214ce DLX
214ce DLX Koa
214ce DLX Sunburst

State your favourite, and why!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:04 AM

I like the 6xx & 7xx series.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 AM

Of those choices, 114. The only thing I don't love about my 114e is the pickup, but I don't use it enough to mess around with it properly. The size is right for me, the tone is awesome, playability is super. I've gone through a lot of more expensive guitars, and keep coming back to it.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:11 AM

Actually, It is one that you did not list.

I like the Taylor 214 DLX (no pickup). I like the all gloss finish on the deluxe models and like that it comes with the hard case. I prefer a K&K/JJB type pickup over most stock pickups that come in a lot of guitars, so I woulk end up installing my own. Also, I have found my preference leaning towards non-cutaway guitars of late. I think it is a nice guitar for the money ($799 give or take, depending on where you purchase). That would most likely be the Taylor guitar I would buy in the 1xx/2xx series.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/214-dlx

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 AM

214e DLX or 214ce DLX

Why? -- it has the Expression System 2, which is better than ES-T. I've played some 200 series that were very good. I like em. From a value perspective the 200 DLXs are a smoking good deal IMO.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 09-21-2015, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Actually, It is one that you did not list.

I like the Taylor 214 DLX (no pickup). I like the all gloss finish on the deluxe models and like that it comes with the hard case. I prefer a K&K/JJB type pickup over most stock pickups that come in a lot of guitars, so I woulk end up installing my own. Also, I have found my preference leaning towards non-cutaway guitars of late. I think it is a nice guitar for the money ($799 give or take, depending on where you purchase). That would most likely be the Taylor guitar I would buy in the 1xx/2xx series.

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/214-dlx
whoohoo.. nice!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:07 AM

I think the 2xx dlx series are a cut above. I've had a couple of 110s and they were OK. I currently have a 210e dlx and it gives all solid boxes a good run for their money.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistbrian View Post
I think the 2xx dlx series are a cut above. I've had a couple of 110s and they were OK. I currently have a 210e dlx and it gives all solid boxes a good run for their money.
how are they a cut above, in your opinion?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:13 AM

I've owned both a 100 and 200 series Taylor and I like them both. My introduction to the Taylor family was a 114CE, so that guitar will always hold a special place for me even though I no longer own it. My current 210 is my camping guitar and the one that stays out on the stand ready to play at a moments notice while her big sisters sleep in their cases.

I also really like the DLX series. I've played several and been impressed by the sound, the looks, and the price. If the DLX series had been out when I was looking for my first Taylor, I'd have given the Koa or Sunburst DLX a serious look and probably brought one of them home.
Several of those new fangled electrics:
PRS
Gibson
Fender
Gretsch
Old 09-21-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverspear View Post
how are they a cut above, in your opinion?
Different bracing pattern, a relief rout around the edge of the soundboard, ES2 system. Overall it sounds more like an all solid guitar than a laminate back and sides. The plugged in sound is just fantastic. I like the cosmetics of the all gloss finish and the diamond inlay fret markers. The 110s I had were kind of brassy sounding to me. The dlx I have is a much warmer sounding guitar.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:58 AM

Hi All

214CE Koa DLX for me. Like the look, love the tones and the fact she came with a Taylor hard case. Tried against higher spec Martins and a 314 but she was the one for me. Very pleased.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:29 AM

Highly ignorable side note:
In the same way that many people are happy that Martin seems to have jettisoned the Taylor-ish pickguard on its Taylor-ish Grand Performance Series, I would be just as happy if Taylor would be much less dependent on its red pickguards. I know that those pickguards are an easily recognizable feature, but to me, the red pickguards looks rather toyish and make the "lower-end" Taylors seem, unfairly, like cookie-cutter guitars.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:35 AM

Taylor 114ce - Best guitar for the money?: http://youtu.be/oARU15aZtIc

A good review on the 114ce. I have the 114e and really like it, although I'm on a string quest.
I've put a set of Elixir polyweb 80/20s custom lights 12-52 on and I think ive found the sound I like. The guy doing the review also has a long review on "the three best guitars for under 1000 dollars" which he has the 114e among those, and also a review where he compares the 114 vs 314 in a shootout.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
In the same way that many people are happy martin seems to have jettisoned the Taylor-ish pickguard on its Taylor-ish Grand Performance Series, I would be just as happy if Taylor would be much less dependent on its red pickguards. I know that those pickguards are an easily recognizable feature, but to me, the red pickguards looks rather toyish and make the "lower-end" Taylors seem, unfairly, like cookie-cutter guitars.
They use black pick guards now, I'm not sure when they changed but my 114e which was manufactured earlier this year has a black one and it looks good.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway_61 View Post
In the same way that many people are happy that Martin seems to have jettisoned the Taylor-ish pickguard on its Taylor-ish Grand Performance Series, I would be just as happy if Taylor would be much less dependent on its red pickguards. I know that those pickguards are an easily recognizable feature, but to me, the red pickguards looks rather toyish and make the "lower-end" Taylors seem, unfairly, like cookie-cutter guitars.
Same here, easynote. My 110e has a black pickguard too. MUCH better than the red. It makes for a much better looking guitar with the matching black binding.

Last edited by bbarkow; 09-21-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Meant to reply directly to easynote.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion