The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 04:59 AM

I often find that when I change string types, I am somewhat uncertain if the change is better or worse. In some case, I go back and forth over a few changes to decide. This indicates I do not have a strong grasp on what the guitar sounded like 24 or 48 hours ago, much less 20 years ago.

Made regular changes in terms of strings used, pick used and some of these changes have had dramatic results. Given the changes I made to the guitar's sound over the years, how do I eliminate all those effects to determine that the instrument itself changed? I do know that every guitar I own currently exhibits the sonic properties that attracted me to it in the first place.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:06 AM

At least to me, opening up does not mean "changing", it means slowly over time getting a bit more of what you started with, almost like shoes breaking in.

FEAR that a guitar will change for the worse, is an over-reaction to a process that is greatly exaggerated IMO to begin with......

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-21-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyZombie View Post
First, any changes that occur are gradual over a period of years, so you will have a long time before you even notice any changes. Those that claim to hear significant changes within a period of a few months are just falling victim to expectation bias.

And you already recognize that tone is subjective, and know that any changes aren't automatically better. But the changes do tend to be subtle, so you'll still have the same basic tone. It'll just be a matter of whether you think its a little better or a little worse.
I have been unsure on the opening up file. I have built a few guitars and did my version of a Tonerite and think they might have sounded better afterwards. And then comes my last build. A little nylon guitar that needed some work on the saddle and nut to make it playable. It seemed like the sound was a little thin after I did the work, kept strumming and picking to analyse the sound. As I was messing around I could here the tone change in the space of a couple of minutes. While it was happening I went through a checklist of what it might be, the saddle seating itself, the strings, heck I don't know. But in two minutes the sound of the guitar changed. And it bugs me that I do not know what happened.

Real happy the guitar sounds like it does now though.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Could happen (over a fairly short period of time if the guitar is brand new). As Rogerblair already posted, the bass could lose focus and become flabby. Depending on how the guitar starts out it could change for the worse.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-21-2015, 05:55 PM

No fear here.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:20 PM

"Ever FEAR "opening up" sound so good???"

No.

I think people overthink things all the time, though.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 PM

I have heard more guitarists talk of a guitar opening up and sounding better over time than complain that they sound worse. I would assume that there is little to worry about. Probably the previous new shoes analogy is pretty good and is like anything. When new the shoes (guitar) do need some breaking in and after a point they are perfect and stay that way for a long time. Eventually though the shoes (guitar) will start to break down and need shoe laces (strings) replaced. Sooner or later replacing the shoe laces (strings) will not help the gradual breakdown and will either need major repair or replacement.
Of course the shoes will only have a matter or a year or two before being useless, depending on how frequently they are worn. A guitar will perform well for many years, decades even, depending on how frequently and how hard they are played.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion