The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 AM

I had a Bedell parlor and it was one of the best sounding, well-built guitars I have owned. Had to sell it because the neck width was too narrow.

I'll second one of the previous posts -- play both and buy the one that sounds better to you.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM

I agree with a couple of the posters...... try it out and pick the one you like the best. If it is a blind buy, I say definitely go with the Martin though.

Bryant
1991 Takamine EF350MC
Fender T-Bucket 400CE
$19 Silvertone Bobby Labonte SNBLA
Old 01-30-2013, 02:08 AM

Default Further on the matter...

I have to say that absolutely the Bedell is not a Martin or a Taylor and yes it is made in China. (However, that does not preclude them from being decent guitars that will last for many years to come, and further more they do have an american made line. I do disagree with the idea that they are trying to pretend they're USA made. I have always found it quite clear that they are made in china.)

If you want a collectible guitar, obviously you don't want the Bedell. It all depends on what you want. I'm talking about a very specific Bedell in my case. (MBCE 24 F G) For me I was looking for a solid wood cedar top, solid rosewood back, and sides instrument with a 1 3/4 inch nut, that wasn't the size of an OM for less than 2 grand which isn't easy to find. I think breedlove has one but the shape causes it to be quite tinny in the B and E stings for my ears, and it's quite small.) Because of this, the Bedell was a good choice for me. It's a workhorse and I feel it does the job well. I certainly am not saying it will hold it's value like a martin or a taylor. (I will also say that I have not really cared for the sound of very many taylors lately with the exception of the GA-7 and they have discontinued that model.)

The Martin I own is an excellent guitar as Martins are. It's a different sound. It all depends on what you want. I will say this in closing.... people tend to buy instruments more with their eyes than their hands and ears. Close your eyes and see which you like the sound of better. I keep seeing taylor's name mentioned and I'm not sure if that's a consideration for you or not but in my opinion my specific Bedell has a richer sound the the Taylors I have listened to at a similar price range.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:27 AM

Buy the Martin...you wont be sorry you did.
Martin HD28
Recording King RAJ-27
Sullivan Festival Deluxe Banjo
Fender 1973 Strat
Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 AM

Default Bedell or Martin?

I own Four Martins. 1970 D-35 (Brazilian) 1973 D-41. 1979 D-28 and a 1991 D-16H. I love em all. I also own three Bedells. The 1st one I tried was a new/old stock TB-18-G all solid wood African Sapelle amazing Spruce top great feeling neck. Got it for 500 bucks felt like I was stealing. Then a TB-28-G. Rosewood version...amazing. The I found a real Gem a TB 24 GS. Rosewood with Cedar top only 25 made ton of abolone inlay and trim looks as good as she sound. These are all performance series models and retail new around 1000 bucks. The GS...I have no idea only 25 made. These are the BEST GUITAR for the money hands down. Beautifully crafted. The best imports for sure. I can't wait to get my hands on USA made 1964 series. The price point us in the D-28 Range. Tom Bedell is no joke. Purchased Breedlove. Purchased some old grown Brazilian that was stocked up in Spain. Out bid the Martins, Taylors and Gibsons of the world who were also trying to Aquire it and the 1st 12 Guitars are Built and ready to go. The Bedell line up is a amazing value for a Quality Instruments. I can't speak to there entry level guitars never tried one. Like say I own my Martins and Collings OM2H. I play my Bedells just as Much..If you haven't tried one do yourself a favor...and Do it.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:56 AM

I recently heard a Bedell played by a prospective buyer in a local guitar store. If I recall correctly, it was an 000 in size and shape, though I'm afraid I never learned the exact model designation.

The Bedell sounded wonderful. It did not have That Martin Sound ... it had its own thing going.

Seems it just might be a matter of matching the sound to the player.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)

Last edited by Roselynne; 02-26-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:12 PM

Default Bedell

Bert Lams from the California Guitar Trio here.Happy to announce that now, two years later in 2015, Bedell makes some of the finest guitars (made in Bend, Oregon, USA!) you will ever see and hear. Last week I walked into my friend Jay Wolfe's guitar shop and tried about 7 different dreadnaught guitars. Then he handed me a Bedell 1964 Dreadnought. It was a stunner: light build, beautiful sound, and easy to play for a dread. I was sold immediately and have placed an order for a custom guitar directly from the US shop in bend Oregon. Cant wait to play it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion