The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Back brace loose on my Martin D-16GT

Now what. I'm the original owner. Do I email Martin or find a certified Martin tech in the area?

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Guest 1928

Start with an email to Martin. See if they can recommend someone near you. If I'm not mistaken, there are no Authorized Repair Centers in New Jersey.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:18 AM

You can also call Martin's customer service department during East Coast business hours at 1-800-345-3103, and hear what they have to say.

For what it's worth, in my experience loose braces have always been easily repaired. I've never had one come loose on a warrantied instrument, but it's always been an inexpensive thing to get fixed. What's more, I've never had a brace that's been fixed once ever come loose again.

The real problems with loose or broken braces tend to occur when the repairs get put off for a long time before the guitar finally gets put on a workbench. When that happens wood can warp, smaller pieces can get lost, and dirt and grime can get into the pores of the wood surfaces that need to get glued back together.

So get it looked at soon. What you may discover is that this is a repair that falls under warranty but might be faster to get it done locally, and cheaper, too, when you take shipping costs back to the factory into account.

Just a thought...

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-22-2015, 05:23 AM
Charter Member

As recommended above, start with a call or email to Martin. It will probably be faster to have the repairs made at an authorized Martin repair center. Good luck!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion