The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2016, 09:59 PM

Exclamation Contact mic vs. pickup

I don't know if those two terms are correct, but by contact microphone I mean this: , and by pickup I mean: .

I was wondering which of those was better for acoustic fingerstyle playing (like Adam Rafferty) and which for classical playing.

Also I wanted to know if you had any particular brand/model for recommendation.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:00 AM

The top one is a "transducer" The bottom one is a "magnetic" pickup.

Transducer style pickups are the most popular these days. work well on both nylon & steel stringed guitars.
Some notable are the K&K Pure Mini ($90) and the JJB Prestige 330 ($50). Both are triple t'ducers installed inside the guitar.

The one you've shown is a single transducer that sticks to the guitar exterior, they can work too, but sound quality can be iffy.

Magnetics only work on steel stringed guitars.
A good basic magnetic pickup is a Lawrence A245C about $45

There are a zillion options. Good luck in the quest.
Old 12-28-2016, 06:21 AM

I was just having that discussion with eldest son who works in that field. His suggestion is a microphone out front. Depending upon what you want to achieve and your budget will determine what sort of device is most appropriate.

FWIW, I, too am interested in the recommendations of our illustrious friends as the only device, so far, that I like the sound of is a LR Baggs pickup that a mate has in his acoustic, which is fine, if you can justify $600AUD to sound good. I am on a pension, and my music does not pay me any money...you get the idea.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 AM

Too many possibilities! Much depends on your particular situation, but generally speaking a microphone, contact or otherwise, is a better audio option. The Schertler DYN series of contact mics are most excellent, and they are indeed microphones, not transducers. I like this one for steel string......I do think they have one for nylon classical as well. For a contact transducer the K&K Sound line is very good, and they have combo systems that add a mic to the soundboard pickup. Soundhole magnetics? Dozens of possibilities. The Sunrise Pickup is an old favorite and widely accepted as one of the best......heavy though.

As said, there are many, many options for acoustic amplification. Spend time doing your home work and expect to make a false step here and there......it's all on the learning curve. G'luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion