The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-22-2016, 02:22 PM

Default Kinnaird guitars? (more than one?)

Hi folks.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I was hoping that someone could explain Kinnaird guitars to me. It seems that there is more than one "Kinnaird Guitars", with different first names and different websites even, yet it appears they share the same logo and branding. I've even seen a third AGF sponsor post with the same logo under yet a different name.

Could someone explain it all to me? Thanks!
Old 12-22-2016, 02:31 PM

Brothers, John and Stephen. I believe each has his own shop but, not surprisingly, they occasionally collaborate.
2005 Greven 000
Old 12-22-2016, 02:32 PM

Others will likely respond who know more. There are two brothers in different parts of the US (one in my home town). They are both luthiers. They operate independently of one another, as far as I know.

The brick and mortar store owner here in town says he has one and that it is a first class instrument.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 12-22-2016, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

To add even more to the confusion, there is also a John Kinnard who builds guitars.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-22-2016, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
To add even more to the confusion, there is also a John Kinnard who builds guitars.
I think you mean John S Kinnard who builds Dell Arte guitars...
Old 12-22-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
They operate independently of one another, as far as I know.
Yet same logos and branding. That's so interesting to me.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Yes, but he also builds guitars with his own name on the headstock.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 12-22-2016, 04:28 PM

Default Kinnaird

John builds in North Carolina and Steven in Texas. Both are top notch and neither does things exactly the same as the other. Mostly, they don't collaborate and operate independently. But they may share the same table at a show, and they have some web site sharing as well, and then there is the occasional one that they work together on. The distance between them makes that unwieldy to do very often.

Kinnard is in, I think, California and is not related by blood, spelling, or in what he does (archtops as I recall).

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:45 PM

I cannot comment on John's (or John S.'s) guitars, but Stephen's work is absolutely top-notch.

I am in a recession (hopefully long-term) of GAS due to having one of his budget models to play on a daily basis.

I'm not going to indulge in the usual hyperbole and claim that it "blows everything else out of the water", but there is a very significant difference in the quality of build compared to my others. That includes a couple of other single builder guitars, as well as high quality factory models.

And the sound is just amazing. It is powerful, responsive, clear and well-balanced. All that I could want from a guitar.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:44 PM

I would suggest going to their respective web sites and looking around. Then you can check out information on luthier sites where they have been discussed. If you're ready to commission a guitar, you can speak to them directly or PM Stephen herein. My S. Kinnaird is different than any other guitar I've played over the past 40 years.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words, about both branches of "Kinnaird Guitars".
We have been advised that confusion accrues from both of us using our last name. Try as I might to persuade him, my brother John steadfastly refuses to call his shop "John Doe" guitars. And, I am not fond of changing my name either. What to do? Actually, the plan is working fine...or fine enough.
LMI once sent me a shipment ordered by John S. Kinnard of California. And my brother once received a shipment of cases I had ordered, but other than that things have been smooth. We get along swimmingly, unlike the Larson brothers I'm told. Perhaps they should have worked in different states?

We're both having fun, we're making the instrument we love, and we're both busy. So far, so good. To make things even spicier though, Ryan Middlebrook works here in my shop with me, and he uses my logo when he posts on the AGF.
Does this help clarify, or further muddy the waters?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 10-14-2019, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Default Steve Kinnaird guitars

I met Steve a few years ago at the Memphis guitar show. Class act in every way. I bought a cedar walnut one, and its one of the best guitars I have ever played. He is now building me a custom OM with tons of features. I cannot wait to get it.

Alvarez classical 1975

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion