The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-14-2016, 10:00 AM

Default Luthiers/guitar repair in Ontario?

Hi all,

I am looking for some suggestions for luthiers or places to get repairs in Ontario. I live close to Toronto and don't mind travelling a bit. There are obvious choices like Long and Mcquade but I am always hesitant to trust them. Cosmo Music has a pretty massive repair department, but again, I am not sure what to expect.

Most of my work is minor (new saddles, set ups, small repairs). However, I always seem to get my guitars back with issues such as; fret buzz, loss of projection etc. It seems like a lot of repair centers simply lower the action and call it a day without really checking for buzz. I just want somewhere I can trust and where I can say what I want and it will matter with the final work being done.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:13 AM

If you're in the GTA, there are only three words you need to concern yourself with:

The Twelfth Fret.

They're at 2132 Danforth Avenue in Toronto.

They're the best you're going to find.

http://www.12fret.com/
Old 04-14-2016, 10:24 AM

Too bad you weren't closer to Ottawa. One of the best luthiers in the city lives near me and he recently got a Plek machine. From what I understand he's one of only 2 luthiers in Canada with a Plek. He was schooled at the Totnes School of Guitarmaking in England. He did wonders on my guitar. Lucky for me I could walk to his place in 10 minutes.

Martin D28
Seagull S6 Original
Seagull Entourage CW Black QI
Seagull Coastline 12 String
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRider View Post
If you're in the GTA, there are only three words you need to concern yourself with:

The Twelfth Fret.

I've had two full refrets with setups done by them. Also a new bone nut. Solid work. I've also had great work done by Folkway Music but they are in Waterloo.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:

The Twelfth Fret.

I have heard great things, but apparently the wait times are quite long. I would love to check it out though. I have shopped there before but I have never had the chance to get work done.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
I've had two full refrets with setups done by them. Also a new bone nut. Solid work. I've also had great work done by Folkway Music but they are in Waterloo.
Folkway is excellent as well but I find they are just a bit too out of the way for me. When I had time off in the summer it was easier to get to Waterloo but now I find it's a challenge to find time.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:32 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have heard great things, but apparently the wait times are quite long. I would love to check it out though. I have shopped there before but I have never had the chance to get work done.
For both refrets the wait times were reasonable.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:57 AM

12th Fret would be my first suggestion.

Fred
Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 AM

It's probably a three hour drive, but if you want someone highly rated, AGF's own Dennis Kwasnycia is in Chatham. In my opinion, he's one of the best techs and luthiers out there.

www.kwasnyciaguitars.com

Cheers,
Mark
Old 04-14-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
Did the shop in Guelph close?

Mark Stutman is a magician.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:28 AM
Guest 33123

Quote:
Did the shop in Guelph close?

Mark Stutman is a magician.
Waterloo is their official retail and repair walk-in store now. Guelph closed to the public a few years ago but it is still open. It focuses on restoration (or mostly from what I understand).

Mark did work on my 000-28VS which still amazes me every time I look at it.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:04 PM

I might give the 12th fret a try. It is a bit of a pain getting downtown but if the work is good, then it will be worth it. I always wished that the 12th Fret was a bit larger. They have some great instruments in stock but it's always so busy in there that it makes trying anything almost impossible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion